re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 04:05 AM CST
It took me two full weeks (maybe a little more)of being logged in at least 2.5 hours a day for my SO to drop down low enough for Zamidren to stop making pouty faces at me after the Sinstra heart incident.

I'm not sure exactly how high my SO was set because of that event, but I do know that I had SO of approximately zero prior to it. SO is meant to be a pain, stay far, far away from town. It takes awhile.
re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 07:42 AM CST
Hell, after that, I'm surprised anyone affiliated with the law isn't killing you on site.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 09:37 AM CST
I doubt we'll see any way to check SO. The whole point behind it is to be a severe punishment to "doing it wrong". To my knowledge, there isn't a way to accumulate SO that you have no way of preventing.

Don't cast spells in justice areas
Use EOTB in justice areas to avoid being accused
Don't hang out in justice areas

Really, the GMs want it to suck very hard if you are racking it up. It has already been said that the mechanics behind it are more punishment that any PC can bring down on you. I think not being able to check it is part of that punishment.
re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 01:24 PM CST
These tips are good, but they will only work for so long. At some point if you keep playing it's going to become general knowledge to most people that you are in fact a necro. It's really just a question of can you remain incognito long enough (and raise your skills high enough) so this is no longer a large issue.
re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 01:31 PM CST
I know the point was made in yet another post that you may as well play your necromancer under the assumption that people know you are one already.

Again, SO is the game mechanics punishing you. Whether PCs that know you are a necromancer decide to just up and kill you, or tattle you to the guards is up to them. And in the later case, you still have methods to protect yourself (see points #2 and #3).

As to when people know I am a necro? Who cares? I'm not going to all of a sudden go "Well, the gig is up! No more bolt spam for me, it's time for Acid Splash!!" I rolled a necro to play a necro, and just assume people will walk in on me. So far, all the people that have just keep moving (hard to not notice the construct in the room).

Being outed by PCs doesn't make a necromancer stupid, just...outed. Being caught by the system is another story.
re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 04:08 PM CST
>>Hell, after that, I'm surprised anyone affiliated with the law isn't killing you on site.

Who says they ever see me?

>>I doubt we'll see any way to check SO.

We already have one. Talk to Zamidren. Ask him more questions. His response to one question in particular will tell you if you are socially perverse or not.

>>Don't cast spells in justice areas
>>Use EOTB in justice areas to avoid being accused
>>Don't hang out in justice areas

Quoted for emphasis.

>>These tips are good, but they will only work for so long. At some point if you keep playing it's going to become general knowledge to most people that you are in fact a necro

See above. These tips still work just fine once everyone knows what you are. In fact, if anything, they become MORE important.

>>Being outed by PCs doesn't make a necromancer stupid, just...outed. Being caught by the system is another story.

Dead on the money here.
re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 05:24 PM CST
> Whether PCs that know you are a necromancer decide to just up and kill you, or tattle you to the guards is up to them.

It's actually up to you whether they're allowed to just up and kill you, or whether someone has to tattle to the guards first.
re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 05:39 PM CST
> No more bolt spam for me, it's time for Acid Splash!!

And thanks for this, by the way. I actually hadn't realized that snap casting was the best way to train TM (I've only ever played a Bard) until I read that and tried it.
re: social outrage question 01/26/2010 07:32 PM CST
>>It's actually up to you whether they're allowed to just up and kill you, or whether someone has to tattle to the guards first.

Assuming you mean that when you get accused you are forced to PVP Open, then yeah. Doesn't mean people won't decide to kill you anyway if they can get away with it.

Also, bolt spam does work great right now, but that will likely change with the next big magic update. Acid splash spam is much cooler though :)
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 04:09 AM CST
The only real foreseeable problem with higher level/more well-known necromancers is that even if their SO is low enough, they might get spam-accused by a crowd of enraged locals, which would raise their SO to the point where they'd get arrested (or at least wanted) while making a brief run through town.

But...a higher level necromancer has a lot of hiding and stalking ranks, and obfuscation and eyes of the blind. You cannot be accused if you are hidden or invisible in town, and if you take back roads and stay quiet, even a crowd that knows your name will take a while to figure out where you are. Getting into town through the north gate (instead of the NE gate), moving fast, and even playing at quieter times of the day (or night) also help.

I feel like more non-necromancer RP (both player and gm-run) should take place outside of justice areas, since we can't do a whole lot outside of wringing our hands and cackling at the west gate if we're too scared to go go inside and get dragged off by the hounds, but that's something we'll have to initiate ourselves before it becomes common enough for the GMs to join in.
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 01:39 PM CST
Personally, I wouldn't look to the Crossing for RP.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 03:37 PM CST
>> Personally, I wouldn't look to the Crossing for RP.

Better Crossing than "we brake 4 neccies" Shard or "I know the skinning message and that's not it" Theren.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 03:51 PM CST
If the Inquisition were the be-all-end-all of Crossing RP, I'd be having a blast there. Unfortunately, there are people who wander about demanding proof of guild membership of any unfamiliar name they see. When certain people routinely look up profiles to see if novices are gankable just to get a free kill, it's really not a pleasant experience to stay in Zoluren.

That, of course, may change once my Necro's experienced enough that the gank squad might have even a degree of difficulty one-shotting me.

>
The guard stares at you and swears. The guard says, "I do not see why you even bother living."
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 03:52 PM CST
It's similar or worse in other places, to be honest.

At least it has been for everyone I know. I refuse to go to Therengia or Shard after the stories though.

Rev. Reene

re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 04:04 PM CST
Having brought to newb Necromancer to all three provinces, I can't say Crossing is any better or worse than Shard and Therengia. You have people playing devil's advocate and being "accepting" of Necromancers in Crossing just like you do in Shard.

Honestly, you perceived my Necromancer, saw he only had Ease Burden up, and then asked me to prove I wasn't a Necromancer. I'm not sure what is considered "kosher" Necromancer roleplay and what isn't anymore, given it seems to change weekly, but anecdotally I have been accused of necromancy for ridiculous reasons like the aforementioned "skinning messaging" once in Theren and thrice in Crossing, so I don't see much difference between provinces.

Roleplay quality, in my experience, swells more from individuals than groups of individuals.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 04:11 PM CST
Quite true. I have had some fun experiences, when people have stopped to talk for a moment before ganking or shouting "Necromancer."

By and large, though, when it's happened, it's happened in rapid succession. It starts with a single lucky accuse after I'd done nothing to out myself (for example, when I was purchasing armor in the Crossing, roughly a week ago), and then ends with a seemingly neverending string of snipes and accuses that keeps me either in jail or dead.

That being said, I understand that was part of the intended mechanic, and I haven't really spent any significant amount of time in well-traveled areas since. I'm starting to feel like I play a Ranger.

>
The guard stares at you and swears. The guard says, "I do not see why you even bother living."
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 04:19 PM CST
Many, many newbies are training with Ease Burden from many guilds. If you're getting asked questions it's not simply because you have Ease Burden up, at least not from me.

I understand people like to think they're totally blameless though, so meh.

Rev. Reene

re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 05:13 PM CST
Like walking into the Empath guild? Is that too shifty? On one of the opening days of the guild, your character perceived my necromancer at random and inquired about his guild because, as best as I can tell, he asked for a heal. Clearly suspicious stuff.
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 05:15 PM CST
There were several days there where every other person walking into Empaths was a Necromancer. Several even brought in mudmen.

Multiple Empaths, including one Inquisitor, asked her to set up shop there and start perceiving the people who came in, and ask them questions.

Yes, you were probably suspicious by virtue of existing at that point.

Rev. Reene

re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 08:02 PM CST
<<Better Crossing than "we brake 4 neccies" Shard or "I know the skinning message and that's not it" Theren.>>

i suppose thats still better than making zombie babies in the ratha bank.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 08:07 PM CST
Anything is better than necro zombie babies, true.

Rev. Reene

re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 08:10 PM CST
What about zombie necro babies?

Are those better?

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
re: social outrage question 01/28/2010 09:12 PM CST
some provinces are quite amiable.
re: social outrage question 01/29/2010 05:41 AM CST
<<Better Crossing than "we brake 4 neccies" Shard or "I know the skinning message and that's not it" Theren.>>

Given Ilithi's relationship with other necromancers throughout history, that characterization of the province as a whole is fitting even if individuals aren't really doing it right. Same goes with Therengia's extreme intolerance.

-pete