Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 04:33 PM CST
Step right up, buy your tincture of lithium, keep those menacing shadows at bay!

Does a similar, albeit not catastrophically awful, process occur for all magic users when they are first indoctrinated into their guild? As in, does a MU's guild leader sort of introduce a neurological alteration to a PCs brain that allows them to see mana streams, and is a Necromancers alteration particularly horrendous? Like, I dunno, the difference between building a radio antenna in ones hippocampus compared to smearing ones cerebrum on a slice of toast and them stomping on it with cleated, dirty shoes?

Are there any Philosophers that have come to grips with this exposed level of madness?
I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 04:40 PM CST
>>Does a similar, albeit not catastrophically awful, process occur for all magic users when they are first indoctrinated into their guild? As in, does a MU's guild leader sort of introduce a neurological alteration to a PCs brain that allows them to see mana streams, and is a Necromancers alteration particularly horrendous?

Attuning to real mana is conceptually similar to the neurological effect of a child learning a language of the first time.

Attuning to Arcane mana is conceptually similar to someone tweaking and adding to your brain and senses until you can pick up radio waves.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 04:41 PM CST

<<Attuning to Arcane mana is conceptually similar to someone tweaking and adding to your brain and senses until you can pick up radio waves.>>

That might be fun...

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 04:52 PM CST
How fares the neuroplasticity of the Eleven compared with, say, real life? Esp. viz. the refashioning of neural patterns with respect to a loss of a given sense.
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 05:17 PM CST
>>Attuning to Arcane mana is conceptually similar to someone tweaking and adding to your brain and senses until you can pick up radio waves.

Man I love this guild.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 05:36 PM CST
>>How fares the neuroplasticity of the Eleven compared with, say, real life? Esp. viz. the refashioning of neural patterns with respect to a loss of a given sense.

For what it's worth, probably a bit better than real life since Attunement can occur at any age and there's no developmental consequences for it. However, this is getting into "chemical composition of cambrinth" level stuff where my expertise fades and, honestly, we're going beyond the useful limits of reality for a fantasy story.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 05:45 PM CST
You gained a new rank in Neurobiology.

Sweet! a few more ranks and I'll be able to rewire a kitten's brain.

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 06:17 PM CST
Something about that brings to mind Starcraft's "SPAWN MORE OVERLORDS".
Behold; my army of Necromantic kittehs!

Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 06:22 PM CST
>Sweet! a few more ranks and I'll be able to rewire a kitten's brain.

How do you know kittens don't already view Arcane mana?

GM Lohkrian

"In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you proceed with balance and stealth."
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/21/2010 06:33 PM CST
I vote that this embroidery pattern be sold in the guild shop

http://www.randomfunnypicture.com/pictures/745motivational-cat-what-has-been-seen.jpg

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/22/2010 05:40 AM CST
>How do you know kittens don't already view Arcane mana?

That would explain much... Though I really don't want to see a prydaen necromancer chasing invisible bugs.

-pete
Re: Neurobiology of the Hunger 01/22/2010 07:00 AM CST
>>How do you know kittens don't already view Arcane mana?

So that's really why Prydaens hate Necromancers so much...

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer