Prev_page Previous 1
The hunger 01/12/2010 12:03 AM CST
it seems that the hunger is the multi-clawed entity that snatches you from the starry host when you depart as a forsaken. but it doesn't succeed, as some <unknown> protective force brings you back to this plane. i'm not sure whether there is further clarifying messaging with spiteful rebirth, haven't acquired that spell yet.

If you are going to damn yourself, my child, you might as well do it all the way.
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 08:12 AM CST
nothing like that with it, muscles flaring and nerves doing stuff, no otherworldly entities
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 08:23 AM CST
>it seems that the hunger is the multi-clawed entity that snatches you from the starry host when you depart as a forsaken. but it doesn't succeed, as some <unknown> protective force brings you back to this plane. i'm not sure whether there is further clarifying messaging with spiteful rebirth, haven't acquired that spell yet.

I'm not forsaken, but from what was copy/pasted to me, I got the impression that whatever those claws are, they're what save you from the void. They drag you away from the Starry Host and stuff you back into your body.

There's no indication that those claws are The Hunger, since there are other demons, like the ones used by Xerasyth and Sorrow. Armifer didn't answer that part of my question, actually. Someone was trying to tell me that The Hunger is the -only- demon that involves itself in granting power to mortal Necromancers.

Is that true?
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 08:43 AM CST
It was confirmed I believe in one of the Event folders that the Hunger is what is intervening for them this time. Why that is...well, we don't know, but I have guesses.

But other demons do exist. Maelshyve is the biggie really. I personally strongly suspect the World Dragon is actually an extraplanar demon, but I have no hard evidence to back that up, just a lot of circumstantial stuff and the fact that it looks enough like the Hunger (while differing in some very key ways that would make it a separate entity) to be suspicious.

Rev. Reene

<Szrael> Should have just gone for gorbesh again
<Szrael> And released the pirate guild or something
<Szrael> Tote would be an okay pirate
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 08:49 AM CST
the hunger comes after the starry host, and yet something else "saves" you from that.

"After what seems like an eternity, you reach a gate. Before you stands a stoney-faced being who gives you a distainful look <THIS IS THE STARRY HOST>, as though you were a creature of the basest kind. When he finally speaks, the surrounding constellations brighten and darken alternately in accord with his unearthly voice. "Your place is the Void, decayed soul."

He reaches over to you and grips your incorporeal form in a giant hand of silver and black. The gate beyond begins to open at his command, but suddenly a hundred hooked claws <THE HUNGER> take hold in your spirit, snatching you away from the Starry Host.

You feel yourself dragged upwards, the constellations light plunging into blackness around you.

A wracking sensation fills your soul before everything you can see of the starry realm disappears around you. The blackness is pervasive, and you feel malicious sensations of hunger and longing. Final oblivion seems imminent, as your spirit and self threaten to merge with the starving entity beyond.

A sensation of palapable relief fills you for the briefest moment as you feel yourself crushed back down into the realm of the mundane by <THIS IS THE 3rd, and UNKNOWN, thing> some sudden protective force, your work on Elanthian soil not yet finished.

If you are going to damn yourself, my child, you might as well do it all the way.
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 08:50 AM CST
Why do you assume it is a separate entity, exactly?

Rev. Reene

Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 08:55 AM CST
because the hunger thing wants you to merge with it, but you are not merged. so therefore i am thinking there must be some 3rd force at work.

Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 09:54 AM CST
I am fairly sure you are incorrect.

The Hunger simply values your potential to pave the way for its All-You-Can-Eat Elanthian Buffet more than it does consuming one little soul.

Of course, that can always change. Demons are capricious masters and all that.

Rev. Reene

Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 10:47 AM CST
Hmm... I interpret the 'sudden protective force' as something intervening between you and the starving entity as well. I doubt the Hunger would need to protect you from itself, especially if it only wanted you to help pry open the cracks into the plain of abiding from the side of the living.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 11:54 AM CST
The Old Man says to The Hunger, "leggo my necro!" (cuz "I" plan to eat him!)
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 05:47 PM CST
There is a god/demon named Grr'Dakat also that the goblins apparently worship, but my understanding is no one has ever really run with it. I imagine there are all sorts of demons.
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 07:36 PM CST
>>>A sensation of palapable relief fills you for the briefest moment as you feel yourself crushed back down into the realm of the mundane by some sudden protective force.

I'm gonna have to go with Maccabee1 here too. Based on the wording it appears you are saved from the Hunger, "by some sudden protective force."

Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 07:52 PM CST
Based on the wording it appears you are saved from the Hunger, "by some sudden protective force."

IIRC when my roomate was struck down by the gods due to DO, the messaging said he could no longer hear the corus of the gods voices and then he could hear "new" voices. The messaging made me think these were the Dark Aspects that he was hearing. If so, perhaps they could be that unknown force protecting us from the hunger. I am probably WAY off, cause I can't think of what would motivate them to "help" one of us.

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 08:35 PM CST
>I am probably WAY off

Pretty much. All aspects of the Immortals hate necromancy.

Re: The hunger 01/12/2010 09:41 PM CST
They are plenty of interplanar entities good and bad that are not gods. The immortals keep us from them. When you become forsaken you loose the light of the gods and start to see what really creeps in the dark.

The hunger is one of them.

You say, "I don't help your kind"
Necrobaby walks over and kicks you!
Necrobaby says, "Your more my kind than you are yours"
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 12:56 AM CST
Yeah, I kind of get the feeling that the Thirteen and their influence extend to a sort of bubble around Elanthia. Everything inside is under their purview, but on an extraplanar/interstellar/extradimensional scale, they aren't the hotshots they are down here. That's why there are things like Heralds, the World Dragon, The Hunger, and Maelshyve.

When they pull their "bubble" away from you, you're no longer protected from demons, which both helps and hurts their cause on Elanthia. I imagine the majority of individuals who become forsaken quickly die miserable deaths and are forgotten. The trouble starts when someone who gets kicked out starts trying to get back in.
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 07:47 AM CST
Could be that the Hunger is "accidentally" saving you in an attempt to eat you, but before it can succeed another power (The Old Man, another demon, a guild artifact?) is pulling you away from it.

-pete
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 12:38 PM CST
>Could be that the Hunger is "accidentally" saving you in an attempt to eat you, but before it can succeed another power (The Old Man, another demon, a guild artifact?) is pulling you away from it.

That would fit in with both the necromancers' claims of having found a way to save the soul that is neither demonic nor divine, and would also fit in with the theme of balancing on the edge of a knife.
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 12:42 PM CST
>That would fit in with both the necromancers' claims of having found a way to save the soul..

This is the first Ive ever heard of this. Could someone elaborate or at least point me in the direction where this is stated as lore?

Elusive
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 01:07 PM CST
its not so much "salvation of the soul", its "release from the shackles of Death".

<<we delve into the practices that most people shun, in order to bring the greatest gift one possibily could to the world--Freedom from the tyranny of the gods and release from the shackles of Death>>

he also states <<while most call us Necromancers, and like all the others sho claimed that title in the past, we are not at all pupy-sacrificing or demon worshipping here.>>

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 01:11 PM CST
>its not so much "salvation of the soul", its "release from the shackles of Death".

Can't be released from the shackles of death, if the big man in the sky tosses your soul/spirit into the garbage, now can you?

The tyranny of the gods could be, in this case, the starry host getting to decide if you get to come back or not.

-pete
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 02:00 PM CST
>This is the first Ive ever heard of this. Could someone elaborate or at least point me in the direction where this is stated as lore?

I mean to say they have found a way to save the soul from death and torment, not to rescue it from the void once it's gone in, or to redeem it after it's been damned.
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 02:28 PM CST
>I mean to say they have found a way to save the soul from death and torment, not to rescue it from the void once it's gone in, or to redeem it after it's been damned.

The reason I asked is because this seems to go against the canon that Philosophers stay away from dealing or tinkering with the soul. The answer we seek from the riddle that is the Great Work, as vague and broad of an idea that it is, is to free Elanthians from the torment of nature and the mechanisms of the Immortals. If we already have the answer, why ask the question?

I think it is fairer to admit that we simply do not know why Philosophers, those that deny the will of the immortals, come back after death despite the myriad unknowns that would consume them on the other side. Its best to simply admit that something beyond our current ability to understand sees fit to return their souls to the Plain of Abiding, for reasons equally unknown.

Elusive
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 02:49 PM CST
If you'll continue to forgive my taste in music,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmS3PVK29YE

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:06 PM CST
>>If you'll continue to forgive my taste in music,

This explains a lot, although I'm not sure its a good thing anymore.

You say, "I don't help your kind"
Necrobaby walks over and kicks you!
Necrobaby says, "Your more my kind than you are yours"
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:07 PM CST
<<If you'll continue to forgive my taste in music,

Nothing wrong with that.

Saw this show in November.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQdTT0s5lGQ

Let Lyras win.
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:22 PM CST
>>Saw this show in November.

I liked them better when they were Savatage.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:22 PM CST
The strings sections actully take whatever heaviness some of these parts had away from them. Insted of more impact, I find that there is less. Overall I found it repeating far too much, thus further stealing the impact of the parts. Then again I dont really care too much for symphony in metal, in most cases I find it to be over-the-top cheesy.

But that comes from a guy who likes this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8KMq_WjLI

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:28 PM CST
Armifer,

Are you a Nightwish fan? If you haven't heard of them go take a look, I have a feeling you will love them.

"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins? " ~ Edgar Allen Poe
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:36 PM CST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5_mlQOsUQ

Rev. Reene

Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:37 PM CST
>>Are you a Nightwish fan? If you haven't heard of them go take a look, I have a feeling you will love them.

I'm aware of them and I consider them part of the genre I like, but I'm not specifically a fan. I can enjoy them, but in a perfect world I prefer a heavier sound.

If it helps, my own musical background is I'm a bass that specializes in oratorio. I'm definitely not an airy-pleasing-melody sort of person.

-Armifer
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:39 PM CST
>>I'm aware of them and I consider them part of the genre I like, but I'm not specifically a fan. I can enjoy them, but in a perfect world I prefer a heavier sound.

Ahh. Funny enough I am the exact opposite. I love the genre but prefer the softer sound of Nightwish.

"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins? " ~ Edgar Allen Poe
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:45 PM CST
<<I liked them better when they were Savatage.

I agree. They play some older stuff after the seasonal 'story performance'.

Let Lyras win.
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:48 PM CST
>>I agree. They play some older stuff after the seasonal 'story performance'.

I'd pay good money to see "The Wake of Magellan" performed in concert.

-Armifer
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 03:55 PM CST
<<I'd pay good money to see "The Wake of Magellan" performed in concert.

They did not play that this year. But they did play "Hall of the Mountain King".

Let Lyras win.
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 04:07 PM CST
All I have ever wanted to see them do is Beethoven's Last Stand but I don't think they do it in concert anymore.

Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 04:42 PM CST
The greatest mix of strings, metal and theatrics is obviously Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksutNW3HFT8

This is one hell of a tangent.
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 04:52 PM CST
>This is one hell of a tangent.

Reminds me of the 'Under the Sea' tangent Armifer also had a hand in, heh. I am eager for things to drift back on topic, though I will admit its always interesting to see where GMs draw some of their inspiration from.

Elusive
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 04:58 PM CST
I know Armifer demi-started it, but actual music discussion goes elsewhere, please. :)

-Z
Re: The hunger 01/13/2010 05:24 PM CST
>If you'll continue to forgive my taste in music,

>Links to Within Temptation

Quickly forgiven, sir.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Prev_page Previous 1