Prev_page Previous 1
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 01:01 PM CST
It might be based on your name like with Shadow Servants. Are you doing a full reroll including changing your name, or are you doing just the stat/skill reroll?

/mutter stupid "reply in a different folder" folder

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 01:05 PM CST
I've tried three different names. All elemental. Someone else has tried two character names and got lunar each time. It seems to be linked to your account, as far as I can tell. I was hoping that it was somehow random so that if I wanted I could torture myself with doing the quest until I got the mana I wanted.

Any chance at all in making this possible (even if it is painful)?
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 01:09 PM CST
Each time is a 33% chance. This chance does not change based on how many times you try. Yes it really is random.

"I am safe - I am safe - yes - if I be not fool enough to make open confession!" ~ Edgar Allen Poe
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 01:31 PM CST
It's based on something about your character which may or may not change with a check in style reroll.

-Z
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 01:34 PM CST
>>It's based on something about your character which may or may not change with a check in style reroll.

Why is this a secret?
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 01:41 PM CST
<<Why is this a secret?

My guess? If they wanted you to be able to easily select which mana type you emulated, they would have just done something like ASK <guildleader> ABOUT/FOR <mana type>

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 01:54 PM CST
I would think some people would choose a certain type for roleplay purposes rather than just because they think it would be the easiest for hiding. In my opinion, choosing should have been part of the quest or joining process or something.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 01:55 PM CST
>>It's based on something about your character which may or may not change with a check in style reroll.

Hi there foot. Yes you can stay in my mouth, that's fine.

"I am safe - I am safe - yes - if I be not fool enough to make open confession!" ~ Edgar Allen Poe
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 02:17 PM CST
Definitely not tied to account, one of my necros was lunar and the other life.

Your mind hears Reaperscythe thinking, "1 slot left in my thanatology class, landfall docks, ur gods are false their prophets are liars deal with it *crosses arms* *smokes cloves* * lashes tail* * glares*"
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 02:33 PM CST

Possibilities:
eye color
skin/fur/scales color
hair color (not likely as not all races have hair)
birthday
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 02:34 PM CST
My money's on the character's pin.

-- Player of Szrael --

"Necromancy is Bad" (GM Armifer)
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 02:37 PM CST
Don't you have to level to circle two before you're given one of those? Can't remember how it works.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 02:48 PM CST
>My money's on the character's pin.<

Something like this. It's intrinsic to the character and cannot be changed by anyone. It's the same way we handle a few other 'random' things.

-Z
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 02:51 PM CST
>> It's the same way we handle a few other 'random' things.

Offhand:

Revelation auras
Picnic basket blanket colors
Shadow servant moods (believe this was confirmed to be tied to names)
See The Wind animal

Basically anything that looks to be randomized for your character but never changes is probably using this same method, but it is so obscure that it is more or less random. There are a few things that do this... name is one and I think we confirmed it's what Shadow Servant moods are based on after some testing.

It's a completely useless but interesting bit of trivia.

Rev. Reene

Fenyr says to you, "You. Have. Issues."
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 02:57 PM CST
Branch Break cast messaging is another, I believe.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 03:01 PM CST
Ultimately, regardless of what factors into the selection, the point will stand that this is not a tool for a faux guild, but rather a side-effect of being slightly more trippy with one of the three streams.

Since this perception of a different attunment is supposed to only hold until such a time as the arcanity becomes too awesome, it's just a nice way to blend into the shadows.

Watching a lot of the arcaned warriors I met inside the guild getting outted in town, the best I can say with regards to all of this is to just use the fact that we have a slight imbalance in the force to cast spells that look the same as everyone else's, thereby being a total nobody, as opposed to showing up and actively trying to pull off membership in another guild. Great fun for thieves, but I think that's were a lot of the closeted necromaniacs are going to go wrong.

I too was sort of hoping to get dude to give me another prep because I knew nothing whatsoever about the mana type I was given in necrogen. After leaving, however, I sat in front of the guild that matches my magical affinity, went into town with a couple gold, and dressed myself to look like one of their noobs, which is to day pretty haphazardly with cheap gear and one or two weakly-flavored items. In the time since then I've been active all around town without so much as an odd look.

Compare that to my 40th circle cleric who looks like the typical stereotype for his guild. He didn't even make it through round one with Caelumia. She skipped Go and went straight to the perceive, which was a good bit of fun overall.

Best advice I can give about the mana type? Let it slide and leave the elaborate disguises to your thief. Your necro will secretly thank you for it.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 03:02 PM CST
>> Compare that to my 40th circle cleric who looks like the typical stereotype for his guild. He didn't even make it through round one with Caelumia. She skipped Go and went straight to the perceive, which was a good bit of fun overall.

hi2u <3

I perceive because I love!

Rev. Reene

Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 03:24 PM CST
>>Best advice I can give about the mana type? Let it slide and leave the elaborate disguises to your thief. Your necro will secretly thank you for it.

This. The mana thing is meant to be incidental camouflage that only affects magic, only a small amount of magic at that, and only for some portion of your career.

It's silly to say you wanted to "RP something else," since your character would've had no reason to believe he could be anything else, nor does it mean anything beyond exactly what it is. You should not be relying on it for anything more advanced than deflecting a casual passer-by.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 03:51 PM CST
The dominate mana type would be important to me. If I were ever to create a necromancer, I would certainly start by first having having the character join and advance in another guild to establish an identity for him in the eyes of the other players, then quietly reroll him as a necromancer with the same name and features later. It would probably be a lot easier to keep his guild secret if everyone was already familiar with him as something else.

You suddenly feel nauseous, as if you'd been doing performance art.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 03:54 PM CST
>>Something like this. It's intrinsic to the character and cannot be changed by anyone. It's the same way we handle a few other 'random' things.

So rerolling doesn't change this? Are you stuck with whatever mana you get regardless of how many times you reroll?
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 03:58 PM CST
>If I were ever to create a necromancer, I would certainly start by first having having the character join and advance in another guild to establish an identity for him in the eyes of the other players, then quietly reroll him as a necromancer with the same name and features later. It would probably be a lot easier to keep his guild secret if everyone was already familiar with him as something else.<

And, since this is not at all how Arcane Attunement works, we are not doing anything to encourage your ability to game the system and are in fact attempting to stymie it.

-Z
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:01 PM CST
Curious, is it considered OOC to talk about how your character changed guild(s)?

I like to think that my character has explored life a bit and has tried a variety of guilds before settling on the necromancer guild but I'm never sure if discussing it is considered OOC.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:04 PM CST
Rerolling to change guilds is an extremely OOC thing, it's just one we politely ignore.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:05 PM CST
>Curious, is it considered OOC to talk about how your character changed guild(s)? <

I don't really know the lore behind attunement to each specific mana type (Armifer might be able to answer this if he's willing), but the process of becoming a Necromancer and becoming awakened to Arcane Mana is irreversible. If you regret it, the only options are Redemption and the Starry Road or the Red Spiral.

If you are a Necromancer, you cannot ever 'change guilds'. It's burned into you for eternity, figuratively speaking.

-Z
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:08 PM CST
>Rerolling to change guilds is an extremely OOC thing, it's just one we politely ignore.

Someone should really sticky quotes like this somewhere.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:09 PM CST
Ahh I see, that makes sense. Thank you.
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:12 PM CST
It's stated repeatedly in the lore YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR MANA ATTUNEMENT, people just choose to ignore that and write elaborate backstories about how they used to be an Empath and became a Moon Mage or whatever.

Rev. Reene

Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:26 PM CST
<<Rerolling to change guilds is an extremely OOC thing, it's just one we politely ignore.

I thought you were able to switch guilds without rerolling if you were still a Novice? Wouldn't be OOC, then. Could even make sense, particularly if your character were extremely flighty...
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:29 PM CST
I want to say that no non-commoner is allowed to enter the Necro quest for entrance based on my vague memory of a GM post.

- The Moose
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:54 PM CST
Reposting here because GOD I HATE GM REPLY ONLY FOLDERS.

The amount of time involved in the join quest is entirely appropriate, when you consider what it's trying to accomplish.

Besides, there are ways to cheat the system apparently.

I really wish I'd discovered them...:| But I was too busy trying to be the DragonRealms equivalent of "FIRSTPOST!"

Rev. Reene

Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 04:57 PM CST
Annwyl always gets the first post. :-(

-- Player of Szrael --

"Necromancy is Bad" (GM Armifer)
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 05:13 PM CST
>>I thought you were able to switch guilds without rerolling if you were still a Novice? Wouldn't be OOC, then.

You can't join the Necromancers as anything other than a Commoner, for reasons that should be simple enough to understand if you think about what happens during the quest.

-Armifer
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 05:49 PM CST
Honestly I have a problem with this statement. Not anyone going from Necro to other, but going from other to Necro. There are a lot of these in the lore, including our current big baddie.

Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 05:58 PM CST
>>It's stated repeatedly in the lore YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR MANA ATTUNEMENT

Where?
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 06:03 PM CST
>>Honestly I have a problem with this statement. Not anyone going from Necro to other, but going from other to Necro. There are a lot of these in the lore, including our current big baddie.

I repeat:

>>You can't join the Necromancers as anything other than a Commoner, for reasons that should be simple enough to understand if you think about what happens during the quest.

Parse the statement carefully, but be mindful of quest and guildhall related spoilers if you continue along this vein of discussion.

-Armifer
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 06:13 PM CST
>>Parse the statement carefully, but be mindful of quest and guildhall related spoilers if you continue along this vein of discussion.

Without revealing anything, you are saying that this statement is applicable only to our specific flavor of necromancer due to what happens?

Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 06:21 PM CST
Correct.

-Armifer
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 06:22 PM CST
Necromancers are Special.

I think the join quest drops some fairly obvious hints as to why doing cross-mana perception is... bad times.

Rev. Reene

Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 07:02 PM CST
If you want to be sure your mana choice is changed, delete the character on the website, create a new character from scratch, and choose a new name. Of course, you could still randomly get the same attunement...
Re: Mana Choice 12/22/2009 08:15 PM CST
I understand the reasoning behind people wanting a specific mana flavor, I just think the people trying to do it aren't really thinking the whole thing out. It's been stated numerous times, and even once recently by Armifer, your mana flavor will only allow you to appear to be that type of mana user for a short period of time. Spending hours or days trying to figure out how to change your mana flavor and then doing the entry quest over and over til you get what you want seems like a gigantic waste of time to me.

Your mind hears Sahfra thinking, "Always the temples. We will burn your temple to the ground."
Your mind hears Zaslamel thinking, "shutup you undead wench"
Your mind hears Malfrien thinking, "hiya Zasl."
Your mind hears Zaslamel thinking, "Hiya Malf"
Prev_page Previous 1