Compendiums 12/04/2019 08:20 PM CST

So, compendiums are a little useful for limited first aid and scholarship. However empath's learn empathy from them. Looking my compendium over and thinking about the text, I am convinced that they ought to teach necro's thanatology. They are detailed maps of creature physiology, including pictures of viscera from various body parts. They really seem like something that we should learn from
Re: Compendiums 12/04/2019 08:59 PM CST
The shorter version is I'm not convinced compendiums teaching Empathy makes sense, but have no desire to remove the Empathy gains due to Empath game play issues.

The longer version is that Thanatology is intended to require murder and mayhem to learn as normal day-to-day activity. There's more to Thanatology than just being the Transference link, and that "more" has a lot to do with the blood-soaked demonic rituals at the heart of what the Philosophers struggle to refine into a science.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Compendiums 12/04/2019 09:14 PM CST

The compendium lies open to the section on Blood Dryad physiology. A drawing of a blood dryad with all four limbs extended covers this chart. Overlaid on the figure is a proportions grid demonstrating body relationships. Detailed cutaway illustrations scattered around the main drawing show different levels of exoskeleton and viscera from various parts of the body. Small notations beside each body part offer a short description. Flipping through the pages, you realize that the book contains the following charts:

Yea, the basic description of this thing screams thanatology and dissection. But of course if it makes sense it would never be implemented, or even considered
Re: Compendiums 12/04/2019 10:34 PM CST
>>Yea, the basic description of this thing screams thanatology and dissection. But of course if it makes sense it would never be implemented, or even considered

Knowledge of anatomy does not equal knowledge of thanatology, no matter how detailed or grisly the chart may be. Many rituals, including dissection, teach both first aid (broadly, knowledge of anatomy) and thanatology (knowledge of death, dying, occult rites). They are closely related but separate bodies of knowledge.

The road to necrolordhood is a deeply personal journey full of individual discoveries, failures, and triumphs. You cannot be merely be taught or study in a book how to transcend your mortal limitations.

That's my take on it, anyway. From a gameplay point of view thanatology is already super easy to learn. We don't really need an out of combat solution for it.
Re: Compendiums 12/04/2019 11:17 PM CST

I'm not suggesting an easy or mind locking alternative here. I'm just musing that these things and the readings within seem more geared toward the necro then anything. Maybe if you have just under the thano skill to dissect something studying its chart could help... I dunno just reading it made me wish it could be incorparate for us in some way. It makes sense, to me at least, for my guy to leaf through giggling to himself thinking of all the flesh cutting
Re: Compendiums 12/05/2019 12:21 AM CST
>>The road to necrolordhood is a deeply personal journey full of individual discoveries, failures, and triumphs. You cannot be merely be taught or study in a book how to transcend your mortal limitations.

Thanatology is an odd little beast. Is is the sole guild skill that cannot be taught, yet it can be learned from a physical book. Some of the MT almanacs will actually target it. That doesn't square with the lore as I understand it, but it is a thing that exists.

I'm not advocating one way or another. It seems, though, that like Necromancers themselves there's a few shades of grey mixed into this conversation.

- I
Re: Compendiums 12/05/2019 12:43 AM CST

> The shorter version is I'm not convinced compendiums teaching Empathy makes sense, but have no desire to remove the Empathy gains due to Empath game play issues.

I don't think the gains are really that great anyway; however, what about releasing a device that lets you capture a creature? Maybe a cage that's basically a capture jar with a hook into manipulate? The moon mages or enchanters would make them (limited enchanting pattern?). Rangers would be required to go out and capture the creature (use for scouting?). They'd give these to empaths who can manipulate them irregularly (don't want to strain the poor thing) for empathy practice.

Alternatively, what about letting empaths heal their guardian spirits? Use tech similar to the NPC healing from ulf'hara. It aligns with shocked empaths being able to learn empathy via IZ, and it further rewards empaths following the "right" path by giving them broader teaching ranges than their shocked counterparts.
Re: Compendiums 12/05/2019 12:45 AM CST

Following up on this, the same code could potentially be used for necromancers and zombies, or necros and their creatures. They could carve off little bits of their pet without DO (SO if in a justice area because ew), or necrotic reconstruction could (if it doesn't already) teach thanatology when used on zombies or corpses.
Re: Compendiums 12/05/2019 01:18 AM CST
>>Some of the MT almanacs will actually target it.

I would assume that's an oversight given statements made in the past about how thanatology must be learned through practice. In fact, there was a point in time when thanatology could be learned via anatomy charts, but it was removed for being thematically inappropriate.

I would prefer if almanacs couldn't teach thanatology, but it won't shatter my world if they continue to.
Re: Compendiums 12/05/2019 01:48 AM CST

<<I would assume that's an oversight given statements made in the past about how thanatology must be learned through practice.>>

I think it is less of an oversight and more it is an MT item and felt unfair to lock one guild out of being able to fully use it. I find it a lot harder to hand wave how suddenly everyone became prodigious almanac readers overnight then a special book teaching something it maybe shouldn't for thematic reasons.

<<I don't think the gains are really that great anyway>>

The gains are pretty awful. I will say though that the little trickle of empathy I get from using a textbook is the only reason my baby Empath is going to be viable. Healing others at low ranks suuuuuuuuuucks. It is so painfully slow. I feel bad for the people I'm trying to heal. Empathy classes are few and far between and generally require you to be at one of the gathering places and I'd rather gouge out my own eyes then hang around there in general let alone long enough to find an awake Empath to listen to. There is a desperate need for adding a better way to learn that starts day 1 that doesn't rely on other players or being in combat.

~Nexty
Re: Compendiums 12/05/2019 09:32 AM CST
>>I think it is less of an oversight and more it is an MT item and felt unfair to lock one guild out of being able to fully use it. I find it a lot harder to hand wave how suddenly everyone became prodigious almanac readers overnight then a special book teaching something it maybe shouldn't for thematic reasons.

I believe almanacs already won't teach paladins stealing, so clearly it's possible for them to have a built in exception for a particular guild. For that reason alone it feels like an oversight that necromancers can learn thanatology from them. I acknowledge that there's a difference between blocking a skill that's a detriment to learn and blocking a skill that's required to advance, but that doesn't change the fact that it's been established that thanatology should only be learnable through actual use.

>>We have decided that Thanatology is quite simply not a skill you can learn by reading about it or studying. Reading about it might give you a few tea party statements you could say about things to entertain guests, but the only way to truly understand death is to kill something and then fiddle with it.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:Anatomy_charts_-_1/6/2010_-_10:19:09

No necromancer is going to throw their almanac away if it suddenly stops teaching thanatology.