Material organizer suggestion 08/31/2019 08:45 PM CDT
I asked on discord if there was any type of a necromancer material stacker and was told no, so I came up with an idea for one that I would like to see. It got a little bit of support and I was told on discord to post it here so here it is:

Similar to herb aprons, this is a type of container that organizes material so it's easier to manage multiple types and eliminating fumbling with "get twelfth material". Reducing the item count of identical materials or weight reduction would be nice to have on an item like this too, but is not the goal here. If quality like "excellent" is a range of values then I'm happy with the item averaging out the quality or setting it to a specific number in that range if that is needed to make this function. I'm also happy with an item limit if necessary as long as it was something reasonable like 50 or something.

It does 3 things:
1. Consolidates all materials from the same creature into groups of 'some <creature> material' regardless of quality when looking in the container. This is to make it easy to tell at a glance what general types of material you have in there without getting a wall of text. Doesn't message the room.
2. Gives a consolidated itemized list of material and quality when using rummage. Messages the room if not invisible, but the messaging is identical to a normal rummage output would be.
3. Lets you specify a type and optionally relative quality of material with the syntax: PINCH {creature} <material> {BEST|WORST}. I only use PINCH here since that's what the empath aprons use and can't think of a better alternative off the top of my head. It defaults to BEST if not specified. If you specify a creature then it selects the best or worst from that creature's material only, otherwise, it selects the best or worst of all material in the bag.

Example messaging:

> l in bag
In the canvas body bag you see some chunks of musk hog material, and some chunks of ship rat material.

> rummage bag
In the canvas body bag you see:
2 chunks of flawless musk hog material
3 chunks of excellent musk hog material
1 chunk of flawless ship rat material
5 chunks of poor ship rat material

> pinch hog material
Quickly assessing the best quality hog specimen, you pull a chunk of flawless musk hog material from your canvas body bag.

> pinch hog material worst
Saving your best quality hog specimens for later use, you pull a chunk of excellent musk hog material from your canvas body bag.

> pinch material
Quickly assessing the best quality specimen, you pull a chunk of flawless musk hog material from your canvas body bag.

> pinch material worst
Saving your best quality specimens for later use, you pull a chunk of poor ship rat material from your canvas body bag.
Re: Material organizer suggestion 09/03/2019 09:05 AM CDT

As a feature design question, can you clarify why the ability to prioritize best/worst is important? Are people holding onto lower quality material? Or selectively juggling multiple creature material types?

My understanding was that people held onto material for using Devour, in which case they were simply using material from their hunts. I am trying to clarify why juggling quality and creature type is important.
Re: Material organizer suggestion 09/03/2019 09:34 AM CDT
The potency of the devour cast is limited by the quality and creature level of the material. Sometimes you would want to use your best material and sometimes you just need a weak cast and don't want to waste your better material. A lot of people only keep flawless material, so I can see people not necessarily needing that option. It'd still be handy as a way to clean up your material bag if there were multiple types of creatures, for example after moving to a new hunting area.
Re: Material organizer suggestion 09/03/2019 11:25 AM CDT
I should also add, however, that BEST/WORST was the solution I came up with for not being able to select both the material and quality as adjectives when trying to get a specific material as well as for not being able to work easily with numbers greater than 12. Right now we can only use the creature type as an adjective. It arose from not easily being able to sort through my bag to get rid of the older pieces of material I didn't want any more.

If you can come up with a way to let us select both the material and quality material when getting them then that would be a better option. I just assumed the system can't work like that. I'd still like the condensing qualities of that container, however, since a wall of text is a pain to read and sort through.