Making More Necro-Lore "Non-Secret" 02/03/2018 12:59 AM CST
I fully appreciate why some Necromancy-aligned NPCs shouldn't be spoiled for who they are, but I'll admit it's a bit sad that books like "Demons and the Profane" can't be archived on epedia, because they're extremely cool and having to use sources other than epedia to reference that kind of lore is more of a frustration than a barrier.

I know part of why this is being done for now is to avoid people from meta-gaming the first time they end up seeing a "mysterious symbol" at worst or keeping the surprise of what something means at best, and I don't know where things are going with demons (in particular) as a whole, so I understand that I'm not really seeing the big picture here.

This is partially because connecting demons to certain spell proposals would be easier if there was a way to quickly pull their lore on epedia, so it's also a very self-serving request. I hope it's also clear that the whole reason why keeping it secret is something I find regretful is because it's a really interesting chunk of storytelling and I really do enjoy integrating the things I've learned into how my character has been developing so far, and I'd love to see more players integrate those little touches (although that's also possibly why it's kept in the dark - to avoid oversaturation).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Making More Necro-Lore "Non-Secret" 02/03/2018 07:43 AM CST

So, historically I think there have been a lot of great secrets in the game that are available to anyone who asks the right people. Not everyone likes to share what they know, true, but that's not really pervasively how the community has shook out. The Necromancer guild hall books are a good example of things that I don't think should be available on epedia, but I also recognize that anyone who is interested has probably read those books or gotten summaries by parties who have. Most people have multiple characters, and any Necromancer can go read those books, and anyone can seek out a Necromancer and express interest in knowing what those books say. So holding them behind even that lowest of low barriers of entry to me, is fine as is. For the sake of preventing those who wouldn't be particularly careful in separating their IG/OOG knowledge shouldn't have the job of finding OOG info made easier for them.

That said, one could just as easily argue the opposite based on what I just wrote, so, meh.
Re: Making More Necro-Lore "Non-Secret" 02/03/2018 09:14 AM CST

> I fully appreciate why some Necromancy-aligned NPCs shouldn't be spoiled for who they are, but I'll admit it's a bit sad that books like "Demons and the Profane" can't be archived on epedia, because they're extremely cool and having to use sources other than epedia to reference that kind of lore is more of a frustration than a barrier.

I agree with this. If the player can't separate IC knowledge from OOC knowledge then that's on them, but I think it'd benefit everyone to have the deep lore more easily available.
Re: Making More Necro-Lore "Non-Secret" 02/03/2018 01:52 PM CST
>>That said, one could just as easily argue the opposite based on what I just wrote, so, meh.

I just don’t want a valuable flavor of the guild to function as the modern day version of “cookies” for thieves.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.