Slot Cost: 2
Type: cyclic / debilitation, area of effect
Difficulty: advanced
Prep (min/max): 6 / 31
Skill Range (min/max): 250 / 1000
Valid Spell Target: Group, Area
Duration (min/max): Indefinite
Pulse Timing: 14 seconds

Aura of Pain can be toggled on/off. Aura of pain acts as an area effect heighten pain.

It would be a nice addition to the necromancers toolkit as an alternative to USOL when you want to run a combat cyclic that is more low key then hurling acid at everything in a room but still effective as an aid to murderkilling.

Would be mechanically to the cleric spell hydrahex, and I noticed blood magic book doesn't have any meta spells yet.
Re: Idea for Meta Spell for Heighten Pain 02/01/2018 10:48 AM CST

Sorry correction it would be *Valid Spell Target: Creature, Area
Re: Idea for Meta Spell for Heighten Pain 02/01/2018 07:20 PM CST

I'd go further actually, and propose a Metaspell that is exactly HYH (Aura of Stuff) and could be slotted with HP, VoD, or maybe even PV.

Alternatively, I'd love for VoD to be an aoe (cyclic?) that doesn't pull you from hiding when it pulses. I wager virtually no one ever uses VoD.
Re: Idea for Meta Spell for Heighten Pain 02/01/2018 10:01 PM CST
If something is an AOE, it should pull from hiding, end of story.

Otherwise I like the suggestions.
Re: Idea for Meta Spell for Heighten Pain 02/02/2018 09:03 AM CST

Those would be cool. Especially the sniped debil. Spell snipe was the necros survival perk would really be nice to see it fleshed out to more/all spells. VOD honestly needs a bump of some kind, if it actually blinded targets it would get used.

Since were the only survival prime that doesn't get regular snipe which isn't limited to one weapon.
Re: Idea for Meta Spell for Heighten Pain 02/02/2018 01:50 PM CST

>If something is an AOE, it should pull from hiding, end of story.

Eh, I don't think that's end of story, but, ok!

>Since were the only survival prime that doesn't get regular snipe which isn't limited to one weapon.

Well, sure, but both Thieves and Rangers have snipes that are based on a secondary skill too. If Necros had access to weapon based snipe, I sure wouldn't use it much.
Re: Idea for Meta Spell for Heighten Pain 02/04/2018 03:59 AM CST
>Eh, I don't think that's end of story, but, ok!

The more powerful and signature AOE's have special restrictions (undead-only for Harm Horde) or prevent movement (Fire rain). Single-target attacks from range either pull from hiding (normal TM) or are heavily restricted and require strict skillchecks (snipe).

Allowing AOE's in hiding is effectively impossible if you want to maintain any sense of the current game balance, unless the skill check were so ridiculous as to make the spell essentially useless to you unless you're back-training by 250+ ranks.

But hey, if you want to spend 3 spell slots on a useless AOE-from-hiding spell to kill field goblins with, more power to you I guess.
Re: Idea for Meta Spell for Heighten Pain 02/04/2018 04:40 AM CST

Requesting that an AOE does something unique is not absurdist nor is the request nearly as simultaneously game balance breaking nor completely useless as you seem to be suggesting.

Vod is currently in need of some tweaking. Necromancers only have one combat cyclic. An aoe perception debuff may be a good fit. This is not a new proposal.
Re: Idea for Meta Spell for Heighten Pain 02/06/2018 04:42 PM CST

Oh necro hex would be great!

Could be used in conjunction with heighten pain for an AOE cyclic debil, Viscous Solution into a cyclic, and visions of darkness into a aoe cyclic as well. One debil option from each book turned into a cyclic option.