Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/13/2017 12:26 PM CST
First off: Wow, that Devour update! How awesome! I'm 100% sold on it, and I'm happy to have it back in my spellbook. A+ work.

With that said, is it possible that we can differentiate Consume Flesh from Devour by having CF be a fast/focused spell with Devour being a slow/strong spell? Right now, there's little reason for me to wait for a fully prepped CF when I could do so much more with a full prepped Devour, but if CF took 10 seconds to fully prep (as a battle spell) as opposed to the standard 20 seconds, I could see situations where I might prefer a fast CF or two.

More often than not I'm still going to go with Devour: it's a great spell! But if I'm ever faced with a situation where I just need to get rid of an out of control bleeder ASAP, having CF as the "fast" spell to slightly solve an immediate problem would be neat to have and help it maintain some space for itself in the Necro spellbook.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/13/2017 12:47 PM CST

I think this is a great suggestion to keep CF not entirely replaced by Devour.

Alternatively, CF could gain additional functionality, such as a 'dormant heal after time' effect or such?
Re: Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/14/2017 11:28 AM CST
Let CF heal poison / disease.
Re: Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/14/2017 11:55 AM CST
>>Let CF heal poison / disease.

Nope.

Though on that note, my proposal for a Necro cure poison/disease has been approved. After talking options with the rest of Team Necro we decided on a ritual, PERFORM DEFILE. Using the reverse-transferance link to transfer your affliction to a corpse.

No spell slot cost or mana cost. But there will be a cost.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/14/2017 12:01 PM CST
>> there will be a cost

There will be a <cost>.

Mua-ah-ah-ah-ha. MUA-AH-AH-AH-HA.

...cough

Ominous much?

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

"That is so not how magic works." -Raesh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh
Re: Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/14/2017 02:02 PM CST
>>Let CF heal poison / disease.

I think CF does enough, and the main focus I have is how it does it. Making it a battle spell changes the speed at which it can be cast, which I feel is a lot more adjustment-friendly than making it do more of something.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/15/2017 10:35 AM CST
It would also be nice if CF (or some other ability) let us transfer wounds to our zombies / risen. The ultimate perversion of the empath link.
Re: Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/15/2017 10:51 AM CST
>It would also be nice if CF (or some other ability) let us transfer wounds to our zombies / risen. The ultimate perversion of the empath link.

Whoa, that is the coolest suggestion for CF. I imagine that would be fairly outrageously over powered, but oh man, that would be an amazing additional tool to add to the spell.

The more I thought about it, the more I think making CF a battle spell won't really significantly impact things. The shortcoming of the spell isn't that it takes a long time to cast (it doesn't), it's that it doesn't seem to heal a lot more than Devour, and needs intact body parts, AND can't be cast at material. Even the advantage of being able to multiple cast CF on a single corpse doesn't really make up for this, as generally speaking a cast of Devour per corpse is enough to keep wounds down or even patch up major bleeding, OR, in a more dire emergency, the ability to use material means I'll rely on Devour instead of CF.

I guess in short, CF works fine as an intro self-heal, but is entirely replaced by Devour. I definitely agree with the above post that some additional functionality needs to be added to CF. And that said, I'm not sure that a spell being replaced by another is entirely a BAD thing, just that it's a shame to have spells that kind of gather dust in an already fairly tight spellbook.
Re: Making CF a "battle" type spell 12/15/2017 01:53 PM CST
In general I'm against spells that are totally rendered irrelevant by future spells. One thing I really enjoyed about DR as a player and try to keep going as a GM is that Fireball isn't followed by Fireball 2.

That said, low-end healing spells becoming redundant is a problem for Empaths too, and I'm not sure how to fix it for either guild.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino