Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:17 PM CDT
So, I just started playing the game, and I now main a necromancer. For roleplay purposes, I was really looking forward to mechanically aligning and being a Perverse necromancer, but that is now completely out of the question for me, as I'm only circle 14 right now. It restricts my ability to roleplay what I want to be, if I don't do the mechanical alignment, or it forces me to deal with necrohunters and PvP fanatics, none of whom I can handle right now. Is there any way perverse could at least be guarded as opposed to permanently locked open for the duration of their alignment? It's not like we're out there screaming from the rooftops that we're evil. People wouldn't necessarily know from a glance. This doesn't really make sense.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:29 PM CDT
To help me understand the issue, from the RP perspective, could you give me some insight into the character's situation? I've been trying to respond to this post for a few minutes now and keep fumbling over what I feel is a fundamental difference of expectations of what being Perverse means.

I mean, from my point of view, affiliating with the Perverse essentially is screaming it from the rooftops. What does a Perverse who does not act Perverse look like? Why is taking cover under the aegis of the Philosophers if a character doesn't want the exposure of full on public demon worship not a good option?

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:32 PM CDT
I agree with this. PvP Open/Closed, it shouldn't matter. Default should be guarded. Eventually, when a Perverse Necro reaches fruition, they should be allowed to make the choice to be PvP Open.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:33 PM CDT
I am hoping a change could be made to let Perverse be guarded as well. You could perhaps design it so that certain profane actions lock us open for a limited time.

Unless, Lichdom provides an extreme mechanical advantage to make a hlc player think twice about trying to take one down. But even then maybe hold back on 'locked open indefinitely mode' until Lichdom comes out.

I want to rp a Lich but ugh, I dont want to PvP every day. I've been more of a PvE Perverse, leaving players alone and mostly just doing demonic rituals and trying to defy the Immortals.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:33 PM CDT
I have to agree with Armifer on this one, Perverse don't look any different(yet right Armifer?) but if you're going to align yourself with them, you'd not be able to hide behind being a philosopher anyways. I can tell you I hid Zehira for a very long time and was able to walk the line for a very long time, I have pretty much always been pvp open but anymore, I highly doubt you'd get camped, that's just not a thing that really happens that I know of. RP wise, being Perverse is well, pretty amazing in the long run of things. It sets your rp and perhaps you wouldn't have to go to the island and make such an affiliation yet? Maybe do your rp undercover and then when you feel comfortable make that flag?

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:39 PM CDT
>>I am hoping a change could be made to let Perverse be guarded as well.

While I'm not going to make a promise one way or the other yet, I will say very little we've done today is like Moses coming down the mountain. If things need to be adjusted after additional information and discussion, they will.

I am genuinely interested in what people perceive the Perverse to be and their role in both the game (mechanically) and the story.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:47 PM CDT
My assumption on the perverse is that they wouldn't automatically go around telling everyone that they worship demons or actively work against people for their own power. That would be kept secret, until such time as they decided they were powerful enough to act. From a roleplay perspective, that would mean that so long as they're not actively committing evil, they wouldn't necessarily appear to be any different than any other citizen, if it's not known that they're a necro, or necro, if they're not known to be perverse. Mechanically, this would mean that they'd be, at most, guarded, by default.

Ultimately, I could roleplay my necro as a closeted perverse under the auspices of performing the Great Work, but that wasn't the direction I wanted to go in, and that therefore detracts from my ability to have fun in the game, since I can't do anything against any joe-schmo that wants to gank me because I'm open, or because I'm a necro. I want to enjoy the game, and roleplay how I want, without having to constantly look over my shoulder for who's going to kill my necrobaby.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:50 PM CDT
Yeah I want to rp a Perverse, but not have to worry about these bought hlc players that go around and randomly gank other players simply because they are open, which has nothing to do with rp.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 04:56 PM CDT
Preface: I am Perverse and was already PVP Open.

The Perverse are not one thing. My character is Perverse, mainly because he's explicitly NOT a Philosopher. He has issues with the organization itself, and differs on a few key tenets.

Understandably, all PC Necromancers start as Philosophers. I would think, on the NPC side, the opposite is true: you're just a Necromancer.

I am PVP Open not because I'm looking for PVP, but mainly because I personally consider it the easiest/simplest/cleanest option. Have I been camped/ganked? Certainly. These things tend to work themselves out. Game on. I don't expect anyone to make a stance choice using the same criteria I do.

I have no intention on changing my stance or my alignment.

- I
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 05:15 PM CDT
Hello Armifer,

I think the complete understanding is that pvp open and pvp guarded is handled with major differences. PvP guarded asks for rp before someone attacks, while pvp open allows for anyone anytime anywhere to attack you (this is not exactly true as I've been told only other open people can do this). The reality is that you are opening up people with OOC issues with a person to attack their character if they are open with no reason needed for that. Unless you plan on changing the rules in the situation it makes sense to keep both guarded and open for profane just more for the factor that certain people like to abuse the system in a negative way.

Perverse place in the realms has been and currently is a hard thing to pinpoint. You have those who cause chaos and destruction, and are purely there to be trouble makers and nothing more. You then have a group who prefer the rp value, and do things hidden away working on connecting to demons, researching, and learning things that could one day lead them to their goal of whatever reason they choose to worship a demon. Not all of those reasons are purely power to destroy all their enemies. There are some looking to find a way to Revive their dead family, and many other different examples that is not places in this square box of destroy all living things. As you have posted in the past, our knowledge of what Demons can do is very very limited.

Making every profane open means you are pushing them into one rp style of the profane, and one that has been very abused in the past by many people. Guarded exist to stop the abuse of the pvp system to cause the many issues that have had happened. So it would not make sense to remove guarded from the selection process and allow for profane to be limited to only Open or Guarded.

Thank you for your time,

Totenus
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 05:18 PM CDT
Though I am a Philo, I would strongly encourage a look at the requirement for PVP open for perverse. I would recommend considering perverse to have strong(er) DO/SO implications as a primary focus vs the OOC aspect of PVP open.

In addition to the strong responses already posted, my concern based on those I have talked with on the subject is that this will lead to many having to wait until they spent 100s of hours played before they can RP as they desire without fear of the random ganks and other OOC crud that does happen now and again. This is likely to lead to some to never make it and to burn out long before getting there and I for one would hate to see that happen.

- Y
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 05:25 PM CDT
As someone with more than one necromancer for RP reasons and I truly enjoy the guild play style, I am extremely unhappy about being forced open. At this stage in my character's development (much of it public) it is utterly unbelievable she's suddenly not Perverse so just choosing a different affiliation is not a comfortable option. The primary reason being it opens the door to an aspect of the game I am sincerely uninterested in - nonconsented pvp.

Being forced Guarded? Completely understand and support. Necros aren't fluffy bunnies. They're fiddling with the fabric of reality. If someone has a story they want to run out and want to involve conflict/combat then so be it. We all knew that going in.

Being forced Open? Not acceptable that someone who wants to run around and do murder for giggles can mess with me just because they're feeling cranky. As much as we would like to think otherwise, more often than not open combat seems to arise from OOC reasons or no reason at all. Everything about this a huge ginormous gargantuan colossal turn off for me. If I can't train/develop my character because someone else has an issue and I have no recourse to them repeatedly hunting me down... why would I pay for that?

Perhaps a compromise could be a lock similar to the punishment lockouts. If seen participating in a truly Perverse activity (in my experience tends to include GM involvement) then be locked open for a period of time. For example, those disrupting the devices at this event, in my opinion, would have been great targets to lock open for the duration be they necro or not. Willful and visible aiding of demons. My character works very hard to maintain appearances and nothing about LOOK would tip off even the most observant passerby. To me that means from an RP standpoint the average Elanthian wouldn't know her on sight for what she is which (again to me) translates to they have no reason/cause/justification to attack.

At the same time, I do want to say a giant Thank You for having a big RP event that pulled in so many people and went on for a few days. I've been around a long time on various accounts and appreciate/enjoy any break from the daily grind. Now if we could just have some real dragons....
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 06:38 PM CDT
I think it's fair that openly aligning yourself with the Perverse locks you PVP open. It allows more freedom for the perverse individual to perform perverse deeds and also allows for reasonable response to those perverse deeds from others. If you want to openly and publicly align yourself with an extremely socially unacceptable faction of unquestionably evil demon worshipers, I think you need to be prepared to deal with the IC consequences for such, which could include combat. Additionally, there's nothing wrong with publicly declaring yourself a Philosopher while keeping your true affiliation hidden (as long as your actions reflect this).
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 08:04 PM CDT
As I see the alignments are such:

Perverse (Big Bad Guys)
BURN ALL THE BABIES! Openly and actively working with the Demonic, or plotting the downfall of society for personal gain/glory.

Necromancer (Catch all alignment)
I want to eventually burn all the babies, but I cant handle making everyone my enemy yet. Or...
I dont know what I want yet, so Im listening to what everyone has to say. Or...
Im not sold on the Philosopher thing, I think they might be deluded. Or...
Etc etc.

Philosopher (Almost the good guy, if you can get past all that murder.)
We need to kill death, even if it means I have to sully my soul and turn my back on the Immortals.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 08:10 PM CDT
>>I think you need to be prepared to deal with the IC consequences for such, which could include combat.

Except when people get randomly ganked, its not necessarily for IC reasons.

I feel as though 'guarded' is essentially being open, you just need to have an rp cause and some fair warnings first. Players being 'open' is just ok I want to play gank wars.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 09:03 PM CDT
I can't help but wonder how many of the people crying about the supposed dangers of being Open have never actually done it. I've been open for years but I can count on one hand the number of times I was attacked out of nowhere.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 09:43 PM CDT
I tried it for a couple months awhile back, got ganked a couple times in the span of a week or so by a couple players I never even heard of or talked to, I dont know if I wasn't on someone's radar then suddenly was or what. Then I heard these players run scripts to check open status and alerts them. That was enough for me to turn it back to guarded, I'm just not into gank wars. There's an assassin's system if you want to play that game.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/07/2019 10:01 PM CDT
I've heard this "players run scripts to see who is Open" thing a lot, but I've been playing a low-level Empath open for months and months now, and not a single random gank to show for it. My character is also a huge jerk who is racist, xenophobic and virulently anti-necromancer and she's only ever been killed for things she brought on herself.

If you don't want to openly align your character with the perverse and deal with the accompanying PvP consequences, then don't. You're not going to be posting fliers for your "Baby Buffet Luncheonette and Tea Room" until you feel confident that the pitchfork-wielding mobs can't just run you out of town. Keep the baby buffet invitation only until you're ready to deal with the consequences.

-- Player of Qihhth
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 12:12 AM CDT
Here's the problem with OPEN in this scenario. It has nothing to do with IC decisions. Anyone can kill you at any time. No reason needed. I did hear an idea about having the locked-open bit be related to SO which actually does make logical OOC and IC sense to me. I can control my character's taint and therefore the SOCIAL PVP status which is much truer test than an OOC profile feature.

Openly declaring an OOC profile feature is not actually declaring IC information. By turning on my profile feature, am I also stamping DEMON LOVER on the characters forehead? NO. So how would someone working purely with IC information be able to know who/what my character is? The short answer is they can't without any IC interaction.

With guarded, they have to at least pretend to care about the IC situation before the pewpew begins. I'm not against dying for choices made, but I am quite against another player being able to walk in and ruin 40+ learning skills because they stubbed their toe and are feelin' cranky.

Do I think a necro, at any stage of taint, should be able to go closed? Eh. Not so much. That was made pretty clear up front. Do I expect to be able to plop down in the empath guild and giggle with the rest? Nope. Do I expect to get called out at events or barely tolerated at certain functions? Sure. Do I expect to be left alone when I'm minding my own? Damn Skippy.

Also, character continuity for those RP fans: When I developed my characters this was not a concern. Why should I, now a year + later, have to pretend to make a wildly different choice to avoid some potential extra metagaming BS? None of my characters could believable turn up as Philosophers without me the player having to endure some OOC crap I didn't sign up for based on information present to me at the outset.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 12:59 AM CDT
<<Also, character continuity for those RP fans: When I developed my characters this was not a concern.>>

That's exactly the point and you hit on it here too.

<<Do I think a necro, at any stage of taint, should be able to go closed? Eh. Not so much. That was made pretty clear up front.>>

Guarded and Closed say essentially exactly the same thing to me as an player who might run into your character in the game; it tells me if any interaction with you results in violence, I risk a warning or lockout with my character. No big deal, I have had lots of great RP and conflicts with Guarded/Closed folks, but I certainly am aware of their stance and those two are treated the exact same. This has been beaten to death though.

<<Why should I, now a year + later, have to pretend to make a wildly different choice to avoid some potential extra metagaming BS? None of my characters could believable turn up as Philosophers without me the player having to endure some OOC crap I didn't sign up for based on information present to me at the outset.>>

It wasn't a concern for you because you were mechanically able to pursue a wildly "evil" path while managing the mechanics in a way that would allow you to play without social danger in a multi-player game. And some people want that (a lot of people from what this thread shows). I get that. The flip-side is that a lot of characters have put a ton of time and work into opposing that exact same path you took your character down and now they will have to adjust to accommodate the desire from some players to play without player-based repercussions. Other players have gone through a lot of hard work because they didn't duck the natural repercussions of their necro RP and might think this cheapens their work.

Looking at the consistent concern by almost every poster in this thread, I think the problem isn't even necromancer related, I think it's related to Open and policy. For as long as I've played, there's always been 1-3 active characters that blow up newb Opens from time to time and gave rise to this whole terror that Open equals terrible experience. I'd like to see the hammer drop on those people for harassment or something. Maybe a flag for killing more than 1 person under a certain amount of skill on you in a certain amount of time. I don't know. They're not hard characters to pick out and I'm positive staff knows them.

Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the
other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice. —Inferno
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 01:59 AM CDT
I have other thoughts on the new changes, but while I am formulating my thoughts on those, I wanted to at least comment here:

Armifer, as a player of a character in a well-known "Team Good" group, I don't think this particular change does what you want it to, mostly because I don't like PvP Open status. I used to run Open, even advocate it, but then I realized a few things.

1) I enjoy roleplay with my conflict, and with Open there is no guarantee I'll get it.
2) Being Open gives people carte blanche to ruin events when I'm there. After my presence gave someone an excuse to raid an otherwise peaceful event at least three times, I changed it.
3) Being Open gives things to do for the people who are just here to grief and contributes to that environment that I think is detrimental to the game's health.

This also won't give any further consequences to being a baby-eating Perverse. The thing is that the players of "Team Good" characters that I know don't need Open status to go after Necromancers. Because they're engaging in conflicts that are consented, and usually in response to other events. The reasons they'll engage in conflicts are because it's the consequence of actions, and often, in my estimation the players on the receiving end are well aware of what's coming because they've specifically and deliberately provoked it.

The main people this will benefit are the people who will say, "I'm bored, let's go kill someone." Those people are less prevalent in the game at this point due to what I understand is policy enforcement, but they could always return through the magic of PayPal. To those who have never been worth the trouble to those people, I'm happy for you. But it has been a real problem in the past and it is sheer good fortune that it's not a problem now, because there's little in place to prevent it.

- Saragos
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 06:17 AM CDT
I'll be honest, at least from a Necromancer Perspective (Philo, not terribly interested in the orb gameplay) I'm mostly just annoyed that we don't have States of Being yet. You may feel like this taints the current wondrous conversation about policy, but I'm willing to deal with that to get this out in the open. I'm suspicious that subconsciously a lot of folks are just upset because this event didn't end up releasing States of Being.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 11:55 AM CDT
Incorrect. I, for one, am upset that I'm a circle 16 necromancer who just started playing the game who will now likely have to endure more-than-a-handful of non-consenting ganks that have no obvious IC grounding, that I can do literally nothing about, if I want to roleplay the way I want. And that's what I'm hearing from a lot of necromancers - here, and on discord. Locking a character PvP open is taking choice about how to roleplay their character away from the player.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 12:08 PM CDT
In an effort to help Armifer not be lost under a deluge of posts -

>I'm a circle 16 necromancer who just started playing the game who will now likely have to endure more-than-a-handful of non-consenting ganks that have no obvious IC grounding

As a general consideration, RP having consequence is a good thing. Including, the choice of when to declare yourself a Perverse Necromancer. Remember that you are part of a larger game world and setting, and the choices you make regarding your RP may have consequence. If this consequence influences how you RP, that is also a good thing. There are a number of ways to be involved in Perverse RP, and we hope to expand on this area of the lore.

>Other than having up a single buff in town, I can't find that I did anything so terribly wrong to go from nothing to exile in a blink.

While we understand that this change is sudden, and are sympathetic to people caught off guard by it, it was never intended that Necromancers reside in town with Transcendental buffs up. Please note, however, that the situation you described would have previously occurred exactly as it did anyway had someone had ACCUSEd you to a guard.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 02:40 PM CDT

My only question is what in the world are some of you people doing that being Open is an immediate death sentence? Necromancer, 50th, haven’t decided whether a philo or perverse yet, and not a single gank despite being Open LITERALLY since leaving the character generator while spending plenty of time in towns and socializing with folks.

Some of you (not all, but a good portion) need to calm down and stop overreacting, and others of you (again, not saying ALL of you) need to take a moment and look at your own personalities and how you speak to/interact with people and question if you’re really as faultless in any deaths as you think you are (or whoever is telling you about these things happening to them.)
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 08:55 PM CDT
>My only question is what in the world are some of you people doing that being Open is an immediate death sentence?

THIS ……..SO MUCH THIS.

This has been my question for a long time.

When an unconsented death happens, it has always been the moral policy to say "yeah that sucks it shouldn't happen" because well that's right. And im going to say the majority majority… the 95% have this feeling. I'll even go so far as to say, not because you lost skill, but because we just want to play this game in an adult friendly way were people can have fun.

We tend to shy away from the above question, because we know your frustrated, you have a leg to stand on with your anger and on paper things didn't go your way.

But there is a further question that dosnt get asked all that often, because I know for me, I don't want to sound like an insensitive person when your frustrated....

If it was a ganking where you got killed more than once.... What was your behavior like? Ok yes it does not make the ganking right. But im talking and asking you the question about how you responded, on discord in game what ever. Were you killed and just departed and walked away, or did you let loose with your frustration and start saying things?

Again I know this dosnt make what happened right. But do you have a certain personality that can be reactive when things don't go your way? Do you feel over victimized by someone. Do you find it difficult to see that Yeah, in this game somethings just suck? How do you respond to this?

What is your understanding and trust of the community and fear of someone coming a long and being able to kill your TxT. Everyone has read horror stories, my experience is they are rarely one sided, even if the initial interacting was not their fault. But there have been rare instances in my opinion where yes someone was horribly harassed. I have my personal feelings about these perpetrators.

But is it possible that there is an over reaction to finding yourself in this situation? And that is causing you undue stress?

I'll use myself as a example, if anyone should be getting open killed ganked etc its my character (Christ for the typo's ive made alone) But I have been open since the stance came out, and my characters behavior has changed very very little. Ive always been opinionated, ive always said what I feel, and ive always tried to push certain buttons within RP. But I can count on less than one had the times ive been open killed, and ive never once camped.

So please.... Tell me your secret. What are you doing to have this kind of attention that people are paying you so much attention when you remain innocent. What are you doing or saying to people that they feel the need to always kill you, just because your open?

So I will say this, it is a little arrogant of you to claim you will incur this type of attention from other players.

I know this may sound harsh. And im really not as insensitive as this dribble I have typed out might appear.

But if we are going to ask for us all to be adults. If we are going to cry about how some of these changes are effecting us, we need to make sure and ask the question...

"In asking people to play as adults am i including myself in that statement"

Part of being an adult is knowing "there are times you need to fight, times you need to let things go, and times you need to turn the other cheek"

Rifkinn
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 10:39 PM CDT

I'd suggest not sniping at each other. I'm sure everyone wants to have their voice heard and it's always a shame when an otherwise good conversation gets shutdown because it devolves into attacking each other.

The reality is plenty of people do get themselves killed or re-killed by their IC interactions with others not just because they happened to be open at the time. I've seen it happen many, many, many times. If someone comes and ganks me at random because I'm open I'm just going to depart. I'm not going to have an IC interaction because they didn't give me the courtesy of one. Then I move on with my day.

Having a Perverse character mean you are telling the world you want to end it, at least from the world's perspective. If you care about roleplay then I think you'd want the world to be able to react to that in a realistic manner. Lots of game have a "morality" system that flags you as marked for death or open for PvP. DR is somewhat unique in that it uses that flag as a way to help structure roleplay. DR is not a freeform game. Just because a player wants to RP in a specific way doesn't mean the system or other players should support that.

The Necromancer guild isn't for everyone. No guild really is for everyone. The combat restrictions on Empaths, the day/night cycle for Traders, the juggling of the moons for Moon Mages are all things that make someone turn away from a guild. Necromancers have a lot of system that are punishing. It's ok if those punishing systems mean you can't play one. I personally don't want to be bothered with those systems so I don't play one very much. If I wanna be a bad guy I can make that work for any guild really. You don't have to be a Necromancer to worship demons just like you don't need to be a Cleric to hold sermons on the immortals. I think some players need to really think about whether or not this guild is the right choice for you as a player.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that there are this many people playing Perverse Necromancers that don't want there to be an IC consequences while also holding up their RP choices as shield against those IC consequences. The PvP profile system has it's flaws, but I think retaining the locked open status for Perverse Necromancers brings more to the game then the minor and rare inconveniences that sometimes happen.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/08/2019 10:50 PM CDT

>Yes Rifkinn blame others for getting killed. They must be doing something wrong in order to get attention it cant be that people like Nidaeye go around hunting anything open and killing them multiple times just because.

If you read my post with the kind of open minded attitude that I alluded to, that constitutes being an adult, you may not feel the kind of angst your feeling when someone points out another POV to a situation that is often not as black and white as described by the victim. And this topic is terribly difficult to navigate and have people able to stay seated at the mediation table.
Especially when people feel they have a moral set of principles based solely on the assumption that everything stays rosy and people do and play the way their own self entitled demands they should.

I wont get sucked down the rabbit hole of PvP stance with you, mainly because again, your missing the point of my post, and that being, sometimes *stuff happens* but, how often does it happen really? And how are you handling it?

I did not blame them, at all.... I made it perfectly clear that its a sensitive topic, and that I regret if what I said sounded harsh. That is not my intention.

But from what I have gleaned from your reply, I feel quite strongly that your reply is a prime example of why I wrote out my original post.

I do not want this thread to be stopped. And tote, if you have opinions on my behavior your more than welcome to take it to the conflicts folder, but please do not use that as a way to derail this thread or to try to excuse yourself from seeing the entirety of a heated and difficult subject.

Rifkinn
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 08:20 AM CDT

Being open only affects being open to other open people. How open works which was described to me by a gm is that not only are you allowing yourself to be killed by anyone anytime anywhere you are also killing anyone anytime anywhere.

Guarded this works similar where you not only are asking people to roleplay with you before engaging in PvP you also have to play the roleplay stance. Meaning you yourself can't go kill someone who is open just because they are open. You will have to roleplay it as well or you can and will be punished for not following the spirit of guarded. This follows through with all stances below.

So the only thing open really does is makes you open to be killed by other open people.

I'm not sure if that is the point but it doesn't seem to me to be a reason to change to not allowing especially lower circles who want to rp profane to not be guarded.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? ::NUDGE:: 05/09/2019 09:16 AM CDT
Some posts were hidden.

Please remember to post in this folder about necromancers in general and not at each other.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 10:47 AM CDT

>I'm not sure if that is the point but it doesn't seem to me to be a reason to change to not allowing especially lower circles who want to rp profane to not be guarded.

Choosing to play a profane comes with having a lore that goes against all that is good with the normality of the DR setting blah blah blah.... Necro's are given a lot of self survival skills. And being profane opens them up to all of these.

Lets for a moment, steer away from the fear of game abuse and look at it like this, Wouldn't my character see one of these and go... Nope?

Rifkinn
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 12:01 PM CDT
A post was hidden.

~ L
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 12:22 PM CDT
I'm going to have to agree with Rifkinn and Nsar. Before anyone gets in an uproar, yes Rifkinn and Zehira are enemies in game and we kinda are going to have to figure out how we can have our little tiffs that we have. I mean both of them are right in the fact that if you align with a demon yes you should be open, if you declare perverse you should be open, if you are running around with a Jeihrem given title, you should be open. As Rifkinn said, being pvp open is not how it used to be, at least in my experience.

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 12:33 PM CDT
Another post was hidden.

~ L
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 12:35 PM CDT
Players Logged in: 600
People in the "World of Elanthia": Millions (Population numbers according to e-pedia just for Zoluren are estimated at 5,000,000+) https://elanthipedia.play.net/Zoluren

What does that have to do with the discussion?

PC's are the 1%.
PC's are the Rockstars of Elanthia.
PC's are the movie stars, celebrity talking heads, sports figures, war heroes, and civic leaders.
PC's in Elanthia are recognized EVERYWHERE THEY GO by a majority of the 'unseen, unwashed masses' and would likely be mobbed like a movie star or given a very wide berth like some medieval warlord.

Why does that matter?

Normal citizens, within a reasonable amount of time in this persistent game world where these SUPERHEROES live hundreds and hundreds of years, would find out through whatever their normal 'grapevine' of news sharing that 'So-And-So McPlucky' was found desecrating the corpses of a few heinous beasties the other day, they're a Necromancer!!!!!'

Its a fair assumption to say that if you've gone so far as to be a declared Perverse Necromancer, you've crossed the barrier from 'hidden in plain sight' philo/redeemed types to full on 'Screw it, Burn it all, I'll bring the gasoline' levels of Necromancy. With that comes the adoration and attention of all of the town guards, angry pitchfork wielding farmers, heads of state, and your fellow adventurers some of whom are now going to be bent on your destruction and/or punishment at every turn.

Welcome to Open-ville. Population YOU.

-Nsar
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 01:06 PM CDT
I just wanted to give my perspective. My character has very involved in the Perverse plots, yet he is never the one screaming from the rooftops. He is the behind the scenes manipulator of those who seem to have gone over the deep end (The other Perverse, to Xzean's mind).

My question to Armifer is, should my character have stayed Philosopher aligned? He was kicked out of the monastery when forced to show his allegiance publicly. Is that enough that I should be "punished" by being locked PvP Open forever? I do not desire to be pvp open, as when I did it in the past (several times) I was simply ganked with no role play happening. I want RP with my pvp. That is what guarded means to me, and that is what I shall be staying (and I guess I will have to change my RP to facilitate that).

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 01:33 PM CDT

Yeah, maybe changing the RP to match your PvP status, since you won’t change your status to match your RP, would be a good idea.

I would think someone being an aggressor that once declared himself as a leader of Perverse and tried to expel other high profile Perverse from Ilithi, that also likes his gweth smashers and trying to be Jeihrem’s right hand, wouldn’t fit the bill of “Guarded,” but what do I know?
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 01:42 PM CDT
I'm not going to engage, but just ask that this stay on topic. Thank you.

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
Re: Perverse Aligned Locked Open???? 05/09/2019 06:46 PM CDT

>PC's are the movie stars, celebrity talking heads, sports figures, war heroes, and civic leaders.
>PC's in Elanthia are recognized EVERYWHERE THEY GO by a majority of the 'unseen, unwashed masses' and would likely be mobbed like a movie star or given a very wide berth like some medieval warlord.

You just described Rifkinn with his white collar up, ray-ban aviators on, toke'n a marlboro while strutting down magen, to the tune of "play that funky music".

Rifkinn