Prev_page Previous 1 3
RE:risen 01/01/2018 12:24 PM CST
Very cool so far!

I do have a concern I am hoping can be addressed:

Risen had been billed as the necros permanent pet, and in exchange, it wouldn't be AS powerful as a zombie for combat. Now we are seeing risen need to "go rest" for periods and have cooldowns. Is this something that gets worked off as your risen develops? There doesn't seem to be any real practical difference between having to recast a zombie or having to pick a different risen etc. IE whats the trade off for them not being as powerful as zombies?

Also is there any chance we will be able to avoid item dropping from the risen? Since the idea is they are permanent and assist queues packed with please restore my X item just seem like wasted resources.
RE:risen 01/01/2018 12:31 PM CST
Risen are not meant to be direct combatants and are quite squishy relative to their creator. Their role in combat is combat-support, using special abilities to debuff or buff the room in various ways.

In a pinch, a Risen should be defending itself in combat, but it's not anything to rely on and not remotely a substitute for a zombie.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
RE:risen 01/01/2018 12:41 PM CST
Is there any way you could change your stance on allowing both out at the same time? A zombie is a considerable prep time and DO investment, but doesn't fill the same role. Or do you consider it too strong to have both the room buff/debuffs going and a zombie fighting for the Necromancer?

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
RE:risen 01/01/2018 12:49 PM CST
>>Is there any way you could change your stance on allowing both out at the same time? A zombie is a considerable prep time and DO investment, but doesn't fill the same role. Or do you consider it too strong to have both the room buff/debuffs going and a zombie fighting for the Necromancer?

I admit I haven't tried recently, but I thought you could have both (and a construct) up at once?

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
RE:risen 01/01/2018 12:52 PM CST

I don't have any issue with Risen being less powerful than zombies, but I think some more oomph to Risen combat prowess is in order. If the intent of giving Risen some abilities that are strictly meant to be combat-y, e.g., Chorus, instead of giving those abilities to Necromancers in the form of rituals/spells, then I believe this will devalue the actual functionality of Risen significantly. The strongest Risen I've seen so far was made from purchased human components, made by a Necromancer with about 1200 TM and Than, and it appraised as a "less skilled opponent" to someone with ~350 defensive avg. This seems quite underpowered, and I can't imagine getting an iota of functionality out of an ability like Chorus if all it takes to 'make go away' is someone sneezing in the Risens general direction. Again though, that was created from purchased human components, and that Risen appeared to have a lot of humanity, so it's combat prowess being that low may be reasonable.

I'm sure this will shake out in balance, but my ideal situation for this all was that very humane Risen are very very weak, while monstrous Risen can approach, approximately Guardian Spirit levels of power, which is to say, approximately as tough as the Necromancers TM. Currently, I don't think there's any reason for Risen to have combat abilities that even approach mudmen or zombies, and I hope we are not allowed to have more than two pets out at once, because that's pretty absurd.

My next pass at this is going to be to make a Risen from more at lvl critter parts.
RE:risen 01/01/2018 12:53 PM CST

>Their role in combat is combat-support, using special abilities to debuff or buff the room in various ways.

To expand on this - a Risen that is enormously squishy isn't going to debuff or buff the room at all, it'll just explode. Fast. In PvE and PvP alike.
RE:risen 01/01/2018 01:03 PM CST
>>I'm sure this will shake out in balance, but my ideal situation for this all was that very humane Risen are very very weak, while monstrous Risen can approach, approximately Guardian Spirit levels of power, which is to say, approximately as tough as the Necromancers TM.

To clarify my position: I'm happy to talk with the team about upping the defensive values of Risen and include sidegrade options (we've talked about introducing Rigby's old idea of Risen Shell). But you are not going to use a Risen to meaningfully bash someone's head in.

-Armifer
RE:risen 01/01/2018 01:11 PM CST

>To clarify my position: I'm happy to talk with the team about upping the defensive values of Risen and include sidegrade options (we've talked about introducing Rigby's old idea of Risen Shell). But you are not going to use a Risen to meaningfully bash someone's head in.

That sounds great, and perfectly reasonable. I hope that while we may not be using Risen like we use zombies or even constructs, we will at least be able to meaningfully use Risen to debuff/buff. It's a useless support pet though if it can't stay in play long enough to even fire up an ability.

As an additional question, and maybe getting ahead of things, where do we stand regarding players killing a 'suspicious person' in town? What's to stop players from simply going around and killing all 'suspicious person' NPCs?
RE:risen 01/01/2018 01:13 PM CST
>>As an additional question, and maybe getting ahead of things, where do we stand regarding players killing a 'suspicious person' in town? What's to stop players from simply going around and killing all 'suspicious person' NPCs?

At the base level of a Risen, I cannot meaningfully make a Risen NPC look like Not An NPC outside of a controlled environment. Not impossible per se, but well beyond the cost:benefit ratio I'd be willing to take on.

That said, I have two ideas that may help. More info as it develops.

-Armifer
RE:risen 01/01/2018 01:15 PM CST
>>I admit I haven't tried recently, but I thought you could have both (and a construct) up at once?

In the test instance you can currently have all three out at the same time.

I think people are getting a little confused because Persida said this in the Lets Talk Risen thread:

>>Risen can participate in combat, but will pretty much never be as combat worthy as your CFB zombie, and you cannot use both at once (or more than one Risen at once, either).

A link to that thread: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Necromancers/General%20Discussions/view/7048
RE:risen 01/01/2018 01:17 PM CST
Ah. Persida was correct at the time that was written and may still be proven correct as we do our final passes on combat balance.

Development can be a fluid thing sometime and there's a lot of hands doing a lot of things.

-Armifer
RE:risen 01/01/2018 01:33 PM CST

>At the base level of a Risen, I cannot meaningfully make a Risen NPC look like Not An NPC outside of a controlled environment. Not impossible per se, but well beyond the cost:benefit ratio I'd be willing to take on.

>That said, I have two ideas that may help. More info as it develops.

I was thinking something more along the lines of subjecting someone who murders a 'suspicious person' in a justice zone to a non-zero risk of being hit with a murder charge, as the law doesn't realize that the dead NPC was anything other than a mortal? Mechanically we're kind of in an odd place here, since anyone who see's one of these is going to know what they are.

Maybe populating towns with additional NPCs that look the same, to throw some false positives in the mix, so to speak?
RE:risen 01/01/2018 02:08 PM CST

Obviously this is one persons opinion, but from both an in game and ooc perspective, my necro would not spend any meaningful time developing a risen if it was not a compelling and viable benefit to his power (hunting/murdering). I do hope there ends up being compelling reasons to use a risen over a zombie when fighting if they end up being limited to one or the other. My necro would spend tons of time developing a fearsome monstrous aboration, and about zero time on a personal assistant.
RE:risen 01/01/2018 06:14 PM CST
<< I do hope there ends up being compelling reasons to use a risen over a zombie when fighting if they end up being limited to one or the other. My necro would spend tons of time developing a fearsome monstrous aboration, and about zero time on a personal assistant.

If a risen was just an offensive powerhouse, like a zombie or mudman, why would one choose their zombie or mudman ? Wouldn't they be repetitive? Doesn't having an assistant give more options?

Nikpack
RE:risen 01/01/2018 06:31 PM CST
IMO I like the idea of having a zombie that's dedicated melee/dps source, mudman that's a mix of melee and debilitation, and a [monstrous?] risen that appears to function as a dedicated debilitation source.

My hope is that along with the chorus trick that messes with non-arcane energy (while raising arcane energy!), monstrous risen will also be able to do other things that are more psychological horror-y.

Maybe a monstrous risen with enough eyes can terrify (stun? knockdown?) enemies by staring them down, multiple limbs monsters can hold enemies in place (immobilize?), winged risen can rescue you from fall damage and/or sweep you out of combat like winged boots, and so on.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
RE:risen 01/01/2018 06:55 PM CST
>>(while raising arcane energy!)

It's not necessarily a raise so much as it's a scramble. Remember, Arcane mana is derived from other mana types, and when they get modified Arcane gets modified. There's another ability I'm working on (tentatively named Wages of Sin) that's no-foolin' Arcane booster.

-Armifer
RE:risen 01/01/2018 08:05 PM CST
A bug I have noticed
>> look body

The risen has a lout torso as its main torso, has a lout head to control its motor functions, a lout arm stitched to it, a lout arm stitched to it, and a lout leg stitched to it.

>>get leg; put leg on table; stitch body ect.

>> look body

The risen has a lout torso as its main torso, has a lout head to control its motor functions, a lout arm stitched to it, a lout arm stitched to it, and a lout leg stitched to it.

Basically the body now has three legs stitched to it but only acknowledges one.
RE:risen 01/01/2018 08:05 PM CST
I personally don't care if Risen can't deal out direct damage since we have constructs and zombies for that. I like the idea of Risen being utility pets that can buff/debuff.

I do think it's very important, however, that Risen be able to survive in combat. They're going to need defenses on par with the necromancer who creates them in order to live long enough to buff/debuff anything.
RE:risen 01/01/2018 08:07 PM CST

>NITPACK: If a risen was just an offensive powerhouse, like a zombie or mudman, why would one choose their zombie or mudman ? Wouldn't they be repetitive? Doesn't having an assistant give more options?

I'd view zombies more as a 'if you come prepared, this is a heavy hitter', while 'combat Risen' could be an 'always available more reasonable combat pet'. If a Necromancer gets ganked, chances are they won't have a zombie to bring to bear, for example. Again, I don't know how this will shake out, but I liked the idea of monstrous Risen being somewhat on par with GS - at least defensively.

>Armifer: It's not necessarily a raise so much as it's a scramble. Remember, Arcane mana is derived from other mana types, and when they get modified Arcane gets modified. There's another ability I'm working on (tentatively named Wages of Sin) that's no-foolin' Arcane booster.

Given that Chorus is strictly PvP in use, is there a chance we could get a list of planned abilities, and/or hash out some solutions for making even monstrous Risen less tissue-paper-y?

Some places I think Necromancers need some help with their ability toolkit:
- Offensive anti-magic
- Engagement control and/or locking down an opponent other than immobilization.
- To hit debuffs (either specifically only for TM, specifically only for a construct, or general)
- Defensive buffing (shield/parry/hindrance reduction)

I also think there's a lot of opportunity for Pet specific abilities that can tie into Risen:
- Aforementioned to hit debuff
- Damage sharing or wound redirection
- Engagement switching
- Stun/Immob/Web/Kneel/Prone remedy
- +Defensive SvS

It seems like Risen are more magical in capabilities than I was expecting, so I'm curious to see where they end up
RE:risen 01/01/2018 08:58 PM CST
For the NPC issue, what if they looked like a town's regular batch of NPC character's that roam and you have a whatever chance to detect they're not actually that NPC. That way people don't just murderlize all the non normal NPCs they see.
RE:risen 01/01/2018 08:58 PM CST
>>It seems like Risen are more magical in capabilities than I was expecting, so I'm curious to see where they end up

It may seem that way because we've only talked about Chorus, but there's going to be a mix. There's Humanity-driven abilities that focus on stealth, city interaction, and otherwise being a fairly normal proxy for the Necromancer. Then there are inhumanity (low Humanity) driven abilities that are more magical / combat support.

The idea is there shouldn't be one perfect Risen that has every ability and is perfectly suitable for every situation. Sometimes you want an agent that can blend in, sometimes you want a five-headed spawn from Aldebaran.

-Armifer
RE:risen 01/02/2018 10:22 AM CST
I know Paladin Protect is buggy, but a similar Risen protect, which is more effective than guard, might help keep Risen alive perhaps? It might even be recycled for Paladin consumption. Not sure how useful it would be if it pulls the necromancer out of hiding with each protect, but just thinking out loud.
RE:risen 01/02/2018 10:58 AM CST

I kind of like the idea of support risen being something you (or your construct!) have to protect, flipping the relationship a necro has with the other pets. It would however require some tweaking, as the Risen would either have to bring an ability suite to bear that justified giving up stealth, OR, stealth would have to still be functional during the protect.
RE:risen 01/02/2018 01:22 PM CST
>>A new version of the Chorus Discordant is now in Test.

>>3) It now is modified by the number of heads the Risen has. It takes a penalty at 0 heads, plus messaging acknowledging that it doesn't have a dang head. One head produces the same result as previously, and more heads produces a bonus based on the number of said heads. So many heads.

Is there messaging to indicate the extra heads are engaging? I made a five headed kobold and the messaging for it starting a chorus is the same as my single headed creations.

Also, kind of related, they're only showing the first few things you stitch to them. The table will let you continue adding parts, but when you >describe them you only see the torso, head and first three things that were stitched on. Can you confirm if that's a display issue or if they're not registering the extra parts?
RE:risen 01/02/2018 01:25 PM CST
>>Also, kind of related, they're only showing the first few things you stitch to them. The table will let you continue adding parts, but when you >describe them you only see the torso, head and first three things that were stitched on. Can you confirm if that's a display issue or if they're not registering the extra parts?

This is second-hand information, but my understanding is that this isn't intended and is being addressed.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
RE:risen 01/02/2018 01:44 PM CST
>>A new version of the Chorus Discordant is now in Test.

I think this update may have broken Chorus. I made three new Risen, and none of them produce any Chorus messaging beyond the first start up.

>command risen to chorus
You focus intently on your thanatological link, sending a subtle command to a superbly made risen abomination to: Disrupt natural mana streams.
The risen abomination begins to sing with a multitude of distinct voices. Soaring, intertwining sound slowly swells in a crescendo.

(That one didn't have a head, by the way. It was just a torso, two arms and two legs.)
RE:risen 01/02/2018 01:55 PM CST
Whoops. Yeah, I see the error, but fixing it shows another slightly deeper error. Might be a little bit.

-Armifer
RE:risen 01/02/2018 03:17 PM CST
The bug in Chorus should now be fixed.

-Armifer
RE:risen 01/02/2018 04:04 PM CST
>>The bug in Chorus should now be fixed.

Chorus is working again but I'm seeing no apparent differences between a risen with no head, a risen with one head, and a risen with two heads. I'll post a pastebin that goes into more details about my findings.

Spoiler warning, Risen stuff: https://pastebin.com/tC1iPiKQ
RE:risen 01/02/2018 04:24 PM CST
I would think you would likely need someone in the room to tell you how much the mana was reduced to really see how Chorus affected either of the three were.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
RE:risen 01/02/2018 04:34 PM CST
>>I would think you would likely need someone in the room to tell you how much the mana was reduced to really see how Chorus affected either of the three were.

Yes, but I wasn't checking mana values. Only messaging. I'm assuming there should something different given that Armifer said this:

>>It takes a penalty at 0 heads, plus messaging acknowledging that it doesn't have a dang head.
RE:risen 01/02/2018 10:50 PM CST
A whole bunch of bugs are fixed now in regards to Risen assembly.

Re: Combat. Functionally, the CFB zombie is (and always has been) intended to be your go-to combat companion. Something that's literally hacked to pieces and then stitched together just isn't going to be as sturdy as something that was just killed and raised intact. That said, I'm open to changes at this point.

-GM Abasha

When the squirrels rule the world, my work will be complete.
RE:risen 01/02/2018 11:03 PM CST
Is this a ret-con for Risen in general? All the ones encountered in the past have been strong, some very much so (see Lyras's Risen). Or is this just another difference between PC Necromancers and NPCs?

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
RE:risen 01/02/2018 11:22 PM CST

> Re: Combat. Functionally, the CFB zombie is (and always has been) intended to be your go-to combat companion. Something that's literally hacked to pieces and then stitched together just isn't going to be as sturdy as something that was just killed and raised intact. That said, I'm open to changes at this point.

I'm currently not testing this, so please ignore if you a solution in place already.

- Have you considered a reskin of hodierna's link or transference using thanatology for the risen?
- What about a paladin-like protect cover option so that you can defend them instead?
- Does necrotic reconstruction work on them, to keep them healed up?
RE:risen 01/02/2018 11:44 PM CST
>>Re: Combat. Functionally, the CFB zombie is (and always has been) intended to be your go-to combat companion. Something that's literally hacked to pieces and then stitched together just isn't going to be as sturdy as something that was just killed and raised intact. That said, I'm open to changes at this point.

I have no problem with Risen serving as our utility pets and as buffers/debuffers in combat. Necromancers already have plenty of great ways to dish out damage. I do think that Risen will need defenses that are on par with the Necromancer who created them or some way for the Necromancer to actively protect their creation. As they currently exist in Test they'll be ripped apart in anything that comes even remotely close to at-level combat.
RE:risen 01/03/2018 06:41 AM CST

I feel like things may have gotten jumbled along the way -

I was under the impression that Risen would be a permanent pet that could fill a role. We could have multiple Risen, though only have one out at a time, and having a Risen out meant we couldn't have a zombie out. As Risen were permanent, they could be given gear or items to hold. Creating a Risen is supposed to represent a high investment on the part of the Necromancer, as it causes very high DO, and accordingly, caring for individual Risen was important.

The two flavors of Risen:
- A Risen made with an emphasis on it's humanity would be able to do things in town, like sell pouches/bundles, use banking services. I imagined this Risen would be the one to act as a small mobile vault for us. I have no problem with this Risen having the combat capacity of wet tissue.

- A Risen made with an emphasis on its abominable nature would be 'monstrous', and be unable to use town, but serve in some combat role. They were supposed to be weaker than zombies. We understand that. However, if serving in some combat role means giving them abilities that really only have any use in combat (-RoomMana, buffing/debuffing, stealth something, etc), then monstrous Risen defensive capabilities as currently designed are too restrictive to allow us to make use of this, as they'll be destroyed by the first thing that interacts with them. In an age of AoE abilities, and critter spawn resulting in multiple engagements per combatant, the notion of an overly squishy support role doesn't have a lot of grounds, unless some additional ability is put into play to allow the Necromancer to defend/protect the Risen.

Again, I understand that this is all still in test, and values and abilities may tweak, so I'm not trying to be overly dramatic here or really put much stock in the way anything stands. But from the way Armifer and Abasha are talking about Risen combat potential, it sounds like there is a lot of hesitancy around the notion of placing even at level defensive capabilities on the Risen, which makes the notion of using one in combat highly unlikely. I want to echo that the notion of having a monstrous Risen as a buff/debuff pet is really cool, and I completely understand the need to make it output less damage than zombies. However, looking at the appraisals on these things now, they need adjustments if they're going to be usable.
RE:risen 01/03/2018 08:09 AM CST
If I had my pick I'd prefer to have a zombie out along side a buffing/debuffing risen over having a risen that was a good enough fighter and not being able to have zombies out at the same time.
RE:risen 01/03/2018 08:48 AM CST
After the latest fixes I've attempted to make two risen. Both made using eloth parts sold by an npc. Both with torso, head, arm x 2, leg x 2.

Both tore my face off when awoken.

Waiting off the second death's sting now but wondering if I just double dipped on bad RNG or if I'm doing something wrong?
RE:risen 01/03/2018 10:32 AM CST
I made several with the eloth parts yesterday (configured as male/female/and gender neutral) without any issues.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
RE:risen 01/03/2018 10:39 AM CST
>>I made several with the eloth parts yesterday (configured as male/female/and gender neutral) without any issues.

I'm guessing it was bad RNG to get it twice in a row. The next two came out properly with and without gender reassignment.
Prev_page Previous 1 3