Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 03:45 PM CST
>Note, Devour has not been updated with the same new messaging yet. I will edit that spell's messaging after the revised version goes live.

I cant find the anything regarding the revised version of Devour, what can we expect when the changes go live?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 04:42 PM CST
Neat! I can see using this more regularly in PvE now, and the messaging is even cooler. One thing that seems to be removed is the magnitude of success messaging, or am I remembering that incorrectly?

Additionally, just confirming this is working as intended -

Third person messaging -
NecroPerson gestures at a HaplessCreature.
Writhing black and red particles form around the HaplessCreature and pierce its body!
NecroPerson suddenly seems pained.

It seems like the caster, not the target 'suddenly seems pained'. Is that intended?

Additionally, when cast on you, it appears like this -

NecroPerson gestures at you.
Writhing black and red particles form around you and pierce your flesh!
You suddenly feel sick and painful, your blood burning molten within your veins!

Seems like it should be 'sick and pained'?

And finally, when attacked the proc messaging the victim sees -
The blood curse flares up, causng your injuries to burn with agony!

Emphasis mine. Should be 'causing'.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 05:07 PM CST
>>One thing that seems to be removed is the magnitude of success messaging, or am I remembering that incorrectly?

You're remembering incorrectly. Heighten Pain didn't have a magnitude of success message.

I'll fix up those messaging SNAFUs in a few hours.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 06:17 PM CST
Heighten Pain's messaging problems have been fixed.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 07:53 PM CST

This still appears in someones LOOK if HP is cast on them -

Reddish-green energy arcs malevolently around HaplessVictim's body, causing him heightened pain.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 07:56 PM CST
Hrmph. I clearly made a mistake when I tried to disable that, moment.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 08:01 PM CST
Should be fixed now.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 08:10 PM CST
Oh, and...

>>I cant find the anything regarding the revised version of Devour, what can we expect when the changes go live?

The revised versions of Heal and Devour got released into a Plat preview this evening. They're Melete's project, so I'll let her or the Plat players go into more detail.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 08:43 PM CST
Good thing I am a Plat Player! Simply put, the spell is amazing now. Thanks to Melete for a rather substantial upgrade.

Elusive
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 09:17 PM CST
Just received the OK to talk about it. Devour is now a Heal Over Time spell, once cast it will pulse every few seconds, healing several wounds each pulse. I believe it targets the highest level wounds first, in all my casts I never had any major level of wounds to test on. As a note, its still in the tweaking phase.

Your body feels somewhat battered.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have some minor abrasions to the head, some minor abrasions to the neck, a severely swollen and deeply bruised left arm compounded by deep cuts across the left arm, minor swelling and bruising around the right leg compounded by cuts and bruises about the right leg, some minor abrasions to the left leg, some tiny scratches to the left hand, minor swelling and bruising in the chest area compounded by cuts and bruises about the chest area.

Bleeding
Area Rate

left arm slight
inside l. arm slight

You gesture.
Massive streams of viridian and copper leap from your outstretched hand, coalescing around the juvenile wyvern's body and exploiting the thanatological link. The streams flare a sanguine red, devouring the juvenile wyvern's corpse.

A wave of feverish heat settles into your flesh, the momentary surge of agony subsiding slowly into an aching feeling of heightened sensation.

**few seconds pass

!>
A painful burning sensation surges through you as your Devour's crude healing matrix focuses on the worst hurts to your body.

The external wounds on your left arm appear completely healed.
The internal wounds on your left arm appear completely healed.
The external wounds on your chest appear completely healed.
The internal wounds on your chest appear completely healed.
The external wounds on your head appear completely healed.
The external wounds on your neck appear completely healed.
The internal wounds on your head appear completely healed.
The external scars on your chest appear completely healed.
>

**few more seconds pass

A painful burning sensation surges through you as your Devour's crude healing matrix focuses on the worst hurts to your body.

The internal scars on your chest appear completely healed.
The external scars on your head appear completely healed.
The external scars on your neck appear completely healed.
The internal scars on your head appear completely healed.
The external wounds on your right leg appear completely healed.
The internal wounds on your right leg appear completely healed.
The external wounds on your left hand appear completely healed.
The internal wounds on your left hand appear completely healed.

**and more

The external wounds on your left leg appear completely healed.
The internal wounds on your left leg appear completely healed.
The external scars on your left arm appear completely healed.
The internal scars on your left arm appear completely healed.
The external scars on your right leg appear completely healed.
The internal scars on your right leg appear completely healed.
The external scars on your left hand appear completely healed.
The internal scars on your left hand appear completely healed.

**and still some time later..

The external scars on your left leg appear completely healed.
The internal scars on your left leg appear completely healed.

**and finally...

You feel the feverish heat in your flesh gradually subside.

> heal

Your body feels at full strength.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have no significant injuries.

Elusive
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 09:25 PM CST
>>Devour is now a Heal Over Time spell, once cast it will pulse every few seconds, healing several wounds each pulse.

That's awesome. I can't wait to try it out in Prime.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/05/2017 10:49 PM CST
Oh wow that's amazing! Does it work with harvested material still?
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 12:07 AM CST
>Oh wow that's amazing! Does it work with harvested material still?

It currently still does.

Elusive
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 05:52 AM CST
Does the new version require the corpse stick around for the full duration? Is there a line when Devour ends?
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 08:52 AM CST
This sounds amazing.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 10:26 AM CST
>Does the new version require the corpse stick around for the full duration? Is there a line when Devour ends?

No. Creature is devoured on cast, you can search/move once it has been cast.

Elusive
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 10:44 AM CST
Want, want now.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 12:02 PM CST
This is fantastic. I love it.

http://i.imgur.com/CRHNeWP.gif
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 01:29 PM CST
<<A painful burning sensation surges through you as your Devour's crude healing matrix focuses on the worst hurts to your body.

Maybe hurts should be another word - maybe simply injuries - it currently sounds a little sophomoric. I'm sure this is probably a place holder, I'm just wanting to bring it to attention if it's not.

A creature's face and head suddenly erupt with deep, gouging wounds that spray gibbets of flesh and rivers of blood everywhere. As the flurry of seemingly spontaneous wounds subsists, plenty of bone is visible amidst the tattered remnants of the creature
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 03:13 PM CST

Saw this purposed in a necro group, what if there was a devour meta magic spell added that allowed you to cast devour as a offensive spell, transferring your wounds onto a living target! Perhaps at reduced effect per mana if deemed too strong?
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 03:45 PM CST
I'd be against it on both lore and game balance grounds. Lore wise, the thanatological ritual is critically important to the transference link's functioning for Necromancers. Balance wise, I'm allergic to taking an iconic healing ability for the guild and adding murder to it. Healing wounds and murdering are worth independent investments of time and mana.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 04:01 PM CST

Though, wasn't something akin to this proposed for the the spell Sanguine Sympathy, which reflected a portion of damage received?
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 04:03 PM CST
>>Though, wasn't something akin to this proposed for the the spell Sanguine Sympathy, which reflected a portion of damage received?

Lore wise, different mechanism of action than wound healing.

Mechanics wise, I see a pretty fundamental difference between a damage barrier and a healing spell. This could just be me, though.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 05:48 PM CST
>>Maybe hurts should be another word - maybe simply injuries - it currently sounds a little sophomoric. I'm sure this is probably a place holder, I'm just wanting to bring it to attention if it's not.

Don't tempt me to go full ultraviolet!

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 06:24 PM CST

>Mechanics wise, I see a pretty fundamental difference between a damage barrier and a healing spell. This could just be me, though.

Oh, definitely, I was just referring to the notion of a wound redirect/reflect in general, not as something that should specifically be added to Devour!
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 08:23 PM CST

<<Don't tempt me to go full ultraviolet!

Sorry, I don't get the reference!? :(

A creature's face and head suddenly erupt with deep, gouging wounds that spray gibbets of flesh and rivers of blood everywhere. As the flurry of seemingly spontaneous wounds subsists, plenty of bone is visible amidst the tattered remnants of the creature
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 09:02 PM CST
<<Don't tempt me to go full ultraviolet!

<<Sorry, I don't get the reference!? :(

Me either... but... ultraviolet is radiation so "going ultraviolet" is a "sophomoric" way of going radioactive?

My guess.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 09:15 PM CST
Ultraviolet is a scientific term in that use. My use of sophomoric was in relation to how Paolini would have written it rather than Sanderson. I simply don't see how they relate, oh well. I just wanted to bring it to their attention, and it's been accomplished. If that came across as rude, I'm sorry.

A creature's face and head suddenly erupt with deep, gouging wounds that spray gibbets of flesh and rivers of blood everywhere. As the flurry of seemingly spontaneous wounds subsists, plenty of bone is visible amidst the tattered remnants of the
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/06/2017 09:55 PM CST
It's just a reference to purple prose.

Melete
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/07/2017 10:23 AM CST
Thanks for that clarification. :D

A creature's face and head suddenly erupt with deep, gouging wounds that spray gibbets of flesh and rivers of blood everywhere. As the flurry of seemingly spontaneous wounds subsists, plenty of bone is visible amidst the tattered remnants of the
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/26/2017 02:28 PM CST
>>The revised versions of Heal and Devour got released into a Plat preview this evening.

I know we are still in the middle of the holiday season, but I was wondering if there's been any movement towards getting these spells released in Prime?
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/31/2017 08:09 PM CST
>>I know we are still in the middle of the holiday season, but I was wondering if there's been any movement towards getting these spells released in Prime?

I've released this in test, though Prime will have to wait for a bit. Let me know if you find any bugs.

Melete
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 12/31/2017 09:58 PM CST
I've found what I hope is a bug. To preface this I assume that the more mana you can pump into the spell the more 'healing power' it has to deal with a greater degree/amount of wounds.

Bug: When cast upon a corpse at 50 mana I was seeing a 30 minute duration via PERC but the spell actually ends about 3 minutes after being cast whether it has expended any of its power healing wounds or not.

I got really excited when I noticed the long duration because I imagined myself casting Devour at the start of a hunt to have it clean up all the little scrapes you inevitably get, until it either used up all of its 'healing power' or the duration ended. But if it's only meant to last 3 or so minutes then that greatly reduces its usefulness as a preemptively cast spell.

Not that I'm disappointed with the spell - it's still vastly improved over its original incarnation. I just hope that it's intended to last the full 30 minutes. I'd happily pay an increased spell slot cost if that's what it takes.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 01/01/2018 09:57 AM CST
>>Bug: When cast upon a corpse at 50 mana I was seeing a 30 minute duration via PERC but the spell actually ends about 3 minutes after being cast whether it has expended any of its power healing wounds or not.

My understanding (maybe it’s wrong!) is that the duration has more to do with making sure the spel runs as it should than being something you can “store” for when you need it. The spells is intended to work until it can’t. If you cast it wound-free it’ll fade on the first pulse.

In other words, a 30 minute duration absolutely ensures that it sticks around long enough to heal you for the X-Y rounds your skill permits.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 01/01/2018 11:25 AM CST
>>If you cast it wound-free it’ll fade on the first pulse.

This is not the behavior I am observing in the Test instance. After doing some more testing this morning I came up with these results:

30 mana, no wounds, lout corpse: 4 minutes 13 seconds

50 mana, no wounds, lout corpse: 3 minutes 2 seconds

100 mana, no wounds, lout corpse: 1 minute 10 seconds

JHALIASCLERIC helped me confirm I wasn't alone in seeing these results and he's the one who provided me with the 100 mana data point. We were consistently getting the same results for each mana value, with small variations that I contribute to server latency and human reaction time.

My new theory is that the more mana you put into the spell the shorter its effective duration is. Also worth noting that it shows the 30 minute duration under PERC regardless of amount of mana used.

My hope for the spell is that it's meant to function like it has built-in Adaptive Curing. Cast and forget. If you get wounded, the spell 'wakes up' and heals what it can, then goes dormant assuming it has left over power. If this is NOT the intention, I would like to request that it be considered. As I said in my previous post, I would happily pay an increase slot cost for the spell itself, or for our own version of an Adaptive Curing metaspell.
Re: Blood Magic Messaging Updates 01/01/2018 11:59 AM CST
Yes, I will have to poke around and see what is going on with the durations, it's been a while since I looked at the code but that does not sound right.

Melete