Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/22/2017 04:37 PM CDT
One of you black robbed freaks do us non-necromancers a favor and post the information about these books on Elanthipedia since we obviously can't access it. Would greatly be appreciated, thanks.
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/22/2017 05:15 PM CDT
Woo! Thanks for this, I love Necro lore.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/22/2017 05:29 PM CDT
No. Many of these are in game secrets and some out necromancer PCs. I don't think we will be seeing these on elanthipedia.

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/22/2017 06:28 PM CDT

Just wanted to say that I very much appreciate this release - haven't visited all the libraries yet but the one in Xing looks excellent. Thanks to all the GMs who helped develop and of course the PCs who submitted works.
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/22/2017 06:33 PM CDT

So... Much... Lore...
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/22/2017 07:33 PM CDT
>>No. Many of these are in game secrets and some out necromancer PCs. I don't think we will be seeing these on elanthipedia.

I think it's reasonable to use discretion and find a middle ground so books can be shared publicly without outing any names.

For example, see how the recall was set up here, so the lore could be documented but no character names were spoiled: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Item:Thin_grey_cloak_(1)#Recall

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 12:07 AM CDT
Reminder that Elanthipedia has rules for handling necromancer information:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Elanthipedia:Elanthipedia_Rules#Necromancer_Rules

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 05:15 AM CDT
The vast majority of these books should not be posted on Elanthipedia. They are, indeed, Necromancer secrets, and even changing or omitting names would not make most of them okay to post on Elanthipedia.

>>Basically, the common sense rule is: "If you have to have joined the guild to learn it or it would ruin a secret, it's most likely not going to be allowed."

All of the books do in fact require you to be a Necromancer to access them, so they hit that first qualifier. Almost all of the books also hit the second qualifier, since their actual contents are secret information not able to be accessed in any other manner.

To help you folks navigate this, I'll be putting up (likely heavily redacted) information on Elanthipedia for the books that actually can have at least some of their content public. It won't be until this weekend, most likely. In the meantime, I made entries for all of them, and in most of those entries I pointed non-Necros to places they can find the openly available information on the topics covered in that book.

-Persida
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 08:35 AM CDT

Does this apply to all guilds or just the Necromancers?
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 05:11 PM CDT
Elanthipedia has no policy about non-necromancer secrets, per se, but there is the Spoiler tag.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Template:Spoilers

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 05:25 PM CDT
To quote myself for context:
>>To help you folks navigate this, I'll be putting up (likely heavily redacted) information on Elanthipedia for the books that actually can have at least some of their content public. It won't be until this weekend, most likely. In the meantime, I made entries for all of them, and in most of those entries I pointed non-Necros to places they can find the openly available information on the topics covered in that book.

I actually got some time this afternoon where I could finish this up. The information I made available on all of the books is stuff that all PCs could reasonably have heard about, should they pay attention to rumors about such things. I left it pretty limited to fully preserve all of the secrets involved, but it will at least give folks an idea of what the books cover. In instances where it was applicable, I added more links to other entries on e-pedia where non-Necros could get the non-Necro versions of the information as well.

-Persida
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 05:45 PM CDT
>>I left it pretty limited to fully preserve all of the secrets involved, but it will at least give folks an idea of what the books cover. In instances where it was applicable, I added more links to other entries on e-pedia where non-Necros could get the non-Necro versions of the information as well.

I get why, I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that the demon one Lord J wrote is fully redacted, just because the details in it are really really really cool and I wish they were OOClyq available so people could have an appreciation of the ONCE AGAIN REALLY COOL details in them. It was one of the most fun lore-info-dump things I've read in awhile.

Looking at the necro rules on epedia, I noticed that "common knowledge" was listed as allowed, but the "not allowed" section focused more on revealing quest details, PC/NPC names, and guild locations, with "uncommon knowledge" never really touched on.

Of course, I say this without any knowledge of how the named demons (both new and old) will play out in the future, so keeping them secret from the general player base might be due to longer term things I don't know about (in which case I get it, begrudgingly!).

Either way it's fun to have demon stuff detailed out, because it's absurdly cool and now I have more things to play with.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 05:50 PM CDT
Jeihrem says, "Would you like to know more?"

Elusive
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 06:26 PM CDT
>>Looking at the necro rules on epedia, I noticed that "common knowledge" was listed as allowed, but the "not allowed" section focused more on revealing quest details, PC/NPC names, and guild locations, with "uncommon knowledge" never really touched on.

"Uncommon knowledge" isn't explicitly listed, but it is covered under the portion that I quoted in my other post:

>>Basically, the common sense rule is: "If you have to have joined the guild to learn it or it would ruin a secret, it's most likely not going to be allowed."

In the case of these books, you can not access that information if you are not a Necromancer. There is no other way to learn of it in game (barring a PC who already accessed it because they were a necromancer deciding to tell your PC). Many of the books also hit on the second part of that quote, which is potential to ruin other secrets.

Keep in mind the State of the Necros post I made, which mentions upcoming changes to SO and events relating to how Necromancers and society relate. There is the possibility that things related to the Elanthipedia Necro secrets policy may change down the line in response to how these things play out, but as of right now, these books fall under it.

PS: I also really, really, really like that book. It was super fun to write my parts of it! Glad you enjoyed it.

-Persida
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/23/2017 09:12 PM CDT
So, out of curiosity, if it can be answered, should we presume >0 of the NPC books include some degree of lying/fudging/spin?
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/24/2017 01:55 AM CDT
>>So, out of curiosity, if it can be answered, should we presume >0 of the NPC books include some degree of lying/fudging/spin?

Well, I can say that in DR every in-game book in any library at all is an IC product of the character who wrote it. Biases, opinions, unknowingly incorrect information, outright lies, propaganda, personal agendas, and all kinds of assorted factors are inclined to be present in in-game books just as much as in any encounter had with any character.

-Persida
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/24/2017 02:22 PM CDT
A little bug that was making On Death and the Soul lose the majority of its pages has been squished. It was only displaying the first 4 pages, and now you can read all 12.

-Persida
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 03/24/2017 02:49 PM CDT
Mmm, more tasty lore.

Elusive
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 04/30/2017 11:34 AM CDT
I am a young necro who has been recently reading through the threads how do I find the necro libraries I tried asking zam about it. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Necromancer Libraries Open 04/30/2017 02:20 PM CDT

Search around the guild(s). They are not hidden.