Devour Update 01/14/2016 08:28 PM CST

Whoa! Whoaaaaaaaa! Krackapow! Squeeeeeeeee!

You gesture.
The material in your hands disintegrates into a blood haze admist copper and viridian arcs! The red mist is absorbed into your body, leaving no trace of the material behind.
The external wounds on your back appear completely healed.
The external scars on your back appear completely healed.
The internal wounds on your back appear completely healed.
The internal scars on your back appear completely healed.

Awesome update, thanks Armifer, this is rad. Definitely a helpful option to have a few chunks 'o material lying around.

Maybe a typo - 'blood haze amidst'? Amidst the mist.
Re: Devour Update 01/14/2016 09:33 PM CST
>>Maybe a typo - 'blood haze amidst'? Amidst the mist.

Surrounded by or among

So a blood haze "surrounded by"/"among" copper and viridian arcs.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Devour Update 01/14/2016 09:49 PM CST
They're not confused about what amidst means. They're pointing out that it's spelled 'admist' in the message.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 07:13 AM CST

Yeah, it could mean 'admixture', but figured it was just a typo.
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 07:47 AM CST
Thank you. Good change.

Condran Arkarm
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 11:41 AM CST
>Awesome update, thanks Armifer, this is rad. Definitely a helpful option to have a few chunks 'o material lying around.

This update made me realize that I haven't used the Harvest ritual in a very, very long time so I am extremely happy that we have a real use for Harvested Material. As for the update itself, this is a game changer for us I think. We now have a very powerful and thematic healing tool outside of combat. This is a great update.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 11:47 AM CST
I am suddenly in the market for a large, red-stained worn container...
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 12:15 PM CST

I may well have to pick up devour now. Thanks for expanding our abilities outside of a fresh kill. I kinda wish this involved a fetish ritual as well, and could take care of poison/disease. I will continue to dream.
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 12:17 PM CST
I have an approved proposal for a Necro solution to disease, though it's going to come with a... twist. I need to wait until after Risen are done because the code I need to meddle with is frozen for that project.

Poison you'll just need to deal with for the foreseeable future.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 12:18 PM CST
Because no good idea goes unpunished, any chance we can have the ability to combine similar materials? Gonna make some 100 dose goblin giblet gobstoppers.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 12:18 PM CST
>>Because no good idea goes unpunished, any chance we can have the ability to combine similar materials?

Nope.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 12:20 PM CST
Big bag of corpse chunks it is!

Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 12:22 PM CST

Are players still harvestable? Would they be considered a good source of quality material if so? Judging by the players I have met. . . . :)
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 01:01 PM CST
>> I am suddenly in the market for a large, red-stained worn container...

This was given to me in TF, so I can't take credit, but I think it'd work very well for this:

You tap a battered and bloody haversack sewn from the dirty skins of board trolls that you are wearing.
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 02:05 PM CST
Wow, I like it a lot.

Nikpack
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 04:02 PM CST

Firstly: This is HUGE.

Secondly: For anyone who has tested this, is there an estimate on how many Utility ranks are needed to make this worthwhile? I've read Devour wasn't worth getting until ~500 Utility. Does this change things?

Thirdly: Are there other planned uses for fetish material eventually? I was really enjoying the fantasy of some kind of voodoo-esque fetish. I just hope this isn't all we'll get to do with butchered material, eventually. Not to detract at all from this awesome update and giving us a use for it now, of course.

Kudos and thanks!
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 04:07 PM CST
>Thirdly: Are there other planned uses for fetish material eventually? I was really enjoying the fantasy of some kind of voodoo-esque fetish. I just hope this isn't all we'll get to do with butchered material, eventually. Not to detract at all from this awesome update and giving us a use for it now, of course.

Its been a long time, but I believe fetish material was planned to be used in the construction of Risen after being prepared by the Fetish Ritual.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 04:10 PM CST
>> Secondly: For anyone who has tested this, is there an estimate on how many Utility ranks are needed to make this worthwhile? I've read Devour wasn't worth getting until ~500 Utility. Does this change things?

I'm in the apparently minority camp that's always liked Devour for bigger wounds, but yes, definitely. At 385 utility/405 PM I can manage 50 mana casts of Devour. A 45 mana cast using a piece of flawless material from a midrange creature was fully healing deep slashes on my abdomen in one shot. I haven't done much more testing besides, but it's something I'll definitely use in PvP if nothing else.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Devour Update 01/15/2016 04:16 PM CST
> Its been a long time, but I believe fetish material was planned to be used in the construction of Risen after being prepared by the Fetish Ritual.

That makes perfect sense.

> but yes, definitely. At 385 utility/405 PM I can manage 50 mana casts of Devour. A 45 mana cast using a piece of flawless material from a midrange creature was fully healing deep slashes on my abdomen in one shot.

Great info, thank you!

Cheers!
Re: Devour Update 01/17/2016 11:33 AM CST

>Secondly: For anyone who has tested this, is there an estimate on how many Utility ranks are needed to make this worthwhile? I've read Devour wasn't worth getting until ~500 Utility. Does this change things?

I was using Devour as soon as I could learn it, but I was also using the Utility Mastery feat to give myself a bonus to cast higher when my magics were lower. I hear people all the time say "the magic masteries are pointless", they are not. You can cast higher sooner, which for spells like Devour is pretty awesome since I'll be able to heal faster and get on to other things quicker. For me, using Devour and not having to specify body parts is win, I'm lazy so devour was always the better option.

As far as the update goes, SUH-WEEET! Thanks for giving us the out of combat option to heal, will be great when popping boxes and such, thank you.
Re: Devour Update 01/17/2016 11:44 AM CST
>>I hear people all the time say "the magic masteries are pointless", they are not.

IMO, I'd say "they're useless in the long run" more than "they're useless"

Re: Devour Update 01/17/2016 04:42 PM CST
The magic masteries are pointless once a certain amount of skill is reached. You start growing out of them, eventually growing out of them completely. Sorcerous casting continues to benefit for longer, but even that evetually becomes redundant except perhaps for esoteric sorceries. I find that at the lower ranks, when the masteries would be most useful, that spells and attunement feats take priority for my slot spending. By the time I have enough slots to consider taking the mastery feats I've already partly outgrown them.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Devour Update 01/17/2016 05:22 PM CST
>I find that at the lower ranks, when the masteries would be most useful, that spells and attunement feats take priority for my slot spending. By the time I have enough slots to consider taking the mastery feats I've already partly outgrown them.

There's a lot I'd like retooled about entry level DR's magic system if I thought my opinion mattered.
Re: Devour Update 01/17/2016 09:21 PM CST
The masteries are actually pretty useful early on, and up to around 500-700ish.
Re: Devour Update 01/18/2016 11:50 PM CST

Well, at 1200 ranks of Utility, my cleric still finds the Utility mastery useful. That may be due to off-setting the penalty from my current alignment though, but I still randomly backfire Murrala's Flames (sad face).