RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/18/2015 09:09 PM CDT
>> Synthetic Pre-Req Changes

Wow! Really awesome changes. It's like you were reading my mind.

Just earlier I was counting the circles I needed to get vivisection which was.....(4+3 spell slots), 14 circles until I could pick up VIVI. (I already had REI.) And then 6 more circles to get USOL. So I was looking at 20 circles and THEN i would maybe swap over to SRE. I was like damn... that's a long time.

My necromancer is 38 circle for the record.

But now I can just swap over and grab Vivi! I'm so stoked. I really don't need Viscous Solution right now. And moving USOL to 80 takes care of any slot issues since that's in like 40 circles.

Really excellent QOL changes.

>> ACID SPLASH: Damage type changed from (Absolute Random) to Piercing + (Rand. Element).

Erm. Holy smokes. Such a cool change! I always thought ACS was cool but random damage was hard to see. Now elemental? Amazing. I can't wait to see the damage messaging change per cast! (If it does!) Either way. Awesome.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/18/2015 10:59 PM CDT
Super hella stoked about these changes.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/19/2015 02:24 AM CDT
The graphical spell tree on Elanthipedia has been updated to reflect all of these changes.

A few things that still need updating for those with access to the spells:
- Alkahest Edge is missing the actual DISCERN description. Currently it is just a cut and paste of the OOC description from the announcement posts. https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Alkahest_Edge
- Alkahest Edge could use some example messaging entered. If it doesn't message any different from a normal Vivisection then feel free to make a note of that in the example messaging section instead.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/19/2015 02:49 AM CDT
I've updated the wiki with USOL's new description. I'm not premie so I don't have access to Alkahest Edge, hopefully somebody else will get that.

Thayet
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/19/2015 03:21 AM CDT
I updated Alkahest Edge, but I have no idea how to actually use it. I thought for optional metaspells, you have to prep it after prepping the other spell.

Does it just forever make the spell half elemental?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 12:59 AM CDT
So I was super excited to run out and get Vivisection. It turns out previously I needed REI + Viscous to get VISI which was about 15 circles.
So, I turn 46th circle and I am eager to test it out vivisection. Except, it fails miserably. Badly. I didn't have enough skill. So then I looked up the TM requirement on the wiki which is 210 TM.

My TM at 46 is 136. Is that low?

So, it was great freeing up VIVI from the prereq, but now I won't be able to use the spell until probably.. 60th-70th?

I'm already extremely spell slot strapped right now and I just dumped 3 spell slots on something i wont be able to use for 20ish more circle.

Kind of a bummer. Maybe the circle level requirement should be uped now that its more accessible? Or make it an advanced spell? USOLS sitting pretty high on that Eso throne.

Going to have a lot of poor sad necromancers on their hands. When they can grab it super easy and find they can't use it.

RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 06:34 AM CDT
>>My TM at 46 is 136. Is that low?

TM being your best/quickest learning offensive skill that is a bit on the low side IMO. Everyone trains differently though.

>>Maybe the circle level requirement should be uped now that its more accessible?

My Necro is the same circle as your's and has the skill in TM to use Vivisection. I don't believe that my character should be locked out of a spell he can use because it upsets other players that they can get it before they have the skill.

This has come up a bit in the past over other guild's spell books, and the response has been working as intended.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 06:59 AM CDT

>My TM at 46 is 136. Is that low?

I would say yes. Your offensive strength as a Necromancer is in your TM. My skill training priority is TM/Stealth>>>everything else. That said, as a younger Necromancer, you're sort of limited to crowded hunting grounds, and training TM can be kind of annoying.

But generally speaking, I tried to get esoterics on my characters around 30-40th.

>Kind of a bummer. Maybe the circle level requirement should be uped now that its more accessible? Or make it an advanced spell? USOLS sitting pretty high on that Eso throne.

VIVI is a pretty impressive spell if you think about it, definitely being one of the Necromancers signature uniques. I would also point out that it shouldn't take you to 60-70th circle to get a secondary skill up to ~200.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 12:02 PM CDT

>> TM being your best/quickest learning offensive skill that is a bit on the low side IMO. Everyone trains differently though.

This may be true, but I can't use TM unless my shield/parry is high enough to withstand the monsters.

>> VIVI is a pretty impressive spell if you think about it, definitely being one of the Necromancers signature uniques. I would also point out that it shouldn't take you to 60-70th circle to get a secondary skill up to ~200.

Hmm. I guess I stopped TM training for awhile when I was getting my shield/parry up to around 100. I'll have to reevaluate then, I didn't realize my skills were so low!

Technically my arcane magic is like 180ish so I suppose TM could be that high too! Ha. Maybe I'm not fighting enough.

I suppose I can also use ivory mask? Do you think like... 180 + IVM would get me in VIVI range?
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 01:06 PM CDT

>This may be true, but I can't use TM unless my shield/parry is high enough to withstand the monsters.

Well, evasion, really... But sure - use PHP and CH to survive in combat. My evasion is higher than my shield/parry/armor, but by virtue of being in combat a lot, my shield/parry/armor are always locked anyway, and actually a bit above my TM. Your TM won't really get that much further than your terts unless you're training it, somehow, in critters that don't train your defenses as well, and given how wide most defensive training is, that seems unlikely, especially in the sub 200 range.

Remember, before 100 ranks nothing trains as a tert rate anyway. Sounds like you just need to catch some stuff up. Maybe train more weapons so you spend a bit more time in combat?

>I suppose I can also use ivory mask? Do you think like... 180 + IVM would get me in VIVI range?

I dunno, I'd say yes, but I don't know what the rest of your magics are at. TM Mastery might help too. But it's an 18 mana spell - you probably won't be using it very frequently in your range.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 01:26 PM CDT
>>TM Mastery might help too. But it's an 18 mana spell - you probably won't be using it very frequently in your range.

This. TM Mastery + IVM would probably allow you to cast the spell, but at that min prep you will be burning through mana quickly if you used it to train.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 01:37 PM CDT
>Does it just forever make the spell half elemental?

Seems that way, the discern on Vivi shows as half.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 01:49 PM CDT
I could make a toggle for activating Alkahest Edge, but it struck me at the time as needlessly complex.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 01:52 PM CDT
I agree. A toggle to turn off potential extra damage is kind of silly, I think.

Elusive
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:04 PM CDT
>> Well, evasion, really... But sure - use PHP and CH to survive in combat.

I'm not sure a lot of people appreciate training a new necromancer using the new spell slot costs. It's easy to assign spell slot costs looking at the overall picture, but much harder the pacing it places on characters training up.

Unless I 100% min max, or completely ignore vital spell lines, its virtually impossible to have both PHP, CH, Vivi by circle 46. This is also ignoring spiteful rebirth.

I'll walk you through the approach I took.

I view Consume Flesh, Rite Of Contrition, and Eyes of the Blind as must haves. So I took these lines first, the order was not as important.
I also had to grab Manifest Force for warding training and also picked up Gauge because we have no utility until Eyes of the Blind.

I then decided I need to start training sorcery so picked up the 3 sorcery talents. (I probably could have skipped the 2nd spell)

After that I decided to head for spiteful rebirth by grabbing PHP first. (At least PHP can be hit with ROG while CH cannot.)

So currently at circle 46:

OBF, PV, EOTB, ROC
ACS, Vivisection
HP, SV, CF
IVM, BUE, CHI, KS, PHP

3x sorcery feats
cyclic harness feat

MAF, GAUGE

And I have... 2 spell slots left. I could drop BUE / CHI which would put me 5 slots, or circle 44 for CH. However, that's an "extra spell" on the path to Spiteful.

So assuming I didn't pick up BUE/CHI, this would give me 5 slots at circle 46. I need 6 total for SB, so circle 48 for SR. And then I would circle back for CH which is 4 spell slots, or 8 circles. This puts me at... circle 56. Again, assuming I ignore everything and head straight to these spells.

And of course I didn't plan everything to the T and that's why I picked up BUE / CHI because I thought it was a cool spell.

>I suppose I can also use ivory mask? Do you think like... 180 + IVM would get me in VIVI range?

>> I dunno, I'd say yes, but I don't know what the rest of your magics are at. TM Mastery might help too. But it's an 18 mana spell - you probably won't be using it very frequently in your range.

I was hoping to pick VIVI up because you mentioned it was great for stealth training. My stealth is currently too high for what I'm fighting because of all my shop stealing. But I guess there is not only a skill barrier, but a mana barrier. And I think VIVI was dropped to 15.

I could pick up TM mastery but I feel like I need to head straight for Spiteful. I currently have 0 favors and doubt I'm rezzable. So I've got my fingers crossed that I don't die in the next 10 circles.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:19 PM CDT

>Unless I 100% min max, or completely ignore vital spell lines, its virtually impossible to have both PHP, CH, Vivi by circle 46. This is also ignoring spiteful rebirth.

Well, yes, because you chose another set of super potent and signature Necromancer spells to get instead. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to not have full access to your guilds entire end game spell book at 46th circle.

>I was hoping to pick VIVI up because you mentioned it was great for stealth training.

I think it's great because it lets me train TM and stealth simultaneously. Since those two skills are my highest, it means I don't have to wait to train TM with weapons, which at this point would be virtually impossible for me to do. It also means I don't need to spend tons of time working TM/stealth, and can bounce around to other things. But it's only something I started using consistently around... 80th or so? Maybe even higher. I think my stealth and TM significantly outpaced my weapons around 80th or so, partially due to poor training on my part, partially due to the fact that Necro's live in combat anyway.

Also, I'd say it's a must for PvP.

>Armifer: I could make a toggle for activating Alkahest Edge, but it struck me at the time as needlessly complex.

So, out of curiosity, does Alkahest Edge ADD damage to VIVI, or just reallocate it? Because I can actually imagine some situations where having VIVI still do slice/puncture is more better than doing slice/r.elemental, especially given the way new barriers are shaping up. For example, against a Warmie in cloth with ES up, elemental damage is going to be blocked.

This of course may be fairly niche.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:22 PM CDT
Reallocate.

Hrm. Like I said, I can add a temporary toggle (a permanent toggle would be more irritating). Would with or without Alkahest be a better default?

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:28 PM CDT

>> Well, yes, because you chose another set of super potent and signature Necromancer spells to get instead. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to not have full access to your guilds entire end game spell book at 46th circle.

I agree. It's probably a bit accelerated compares to most guilds. My comment was directed at your comment that I somehow have PVP, CH, VIVI at circle 46.

But I do think some acceleration is necessary because Necromancers are in a somewhat precarious position in that they simply do not have access to various resources without getting all of the "signature" abilities. These spells aren't simply luxuries if you are comparing other spellbooks.

It's not like I could decide to skip consume flesh, ROC, or spiteful. I've not even sure you can... If you don't cast a single DO spell, are you still locked out of healing/favor orbs/resurrection by minimum DO?

>> But it's only something I started using consistently around... 80th or so? Maybe even higher. I think my stealth and TM significantly outpaced my weapons around 80th or so, partially due to poor training on my part, partially due to the fact that Necro's live in combat anyway.

Yar, I don't mind waiting til 80th. It's just the new VIVI spell slot change really accelerates the circle that necromancers can obtain the spell. (Since I doubt many people will get Viscious AND REI ahead of the must haves). I'm sure many more people will run into this issue.

Maybe it's best to remove all spell circle requirements and just force players to pay more attention to spell reqs, skill levels and mana requirements. (Because I do agree with the poster its not entirely fair to limit players if they actually have the skill level.)
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:32 PM CDT

>> Hrm. Like I said, I can add a temporary toggle (a permanent toggle would be more irritating). Would with or without Alkahest be a better default?

Permanent with Alkahest. Toggle w/o alkahest.

Alkahest is probably going to do more damage 95% of the time. I can only see it being less effective by elemental barriers and also by creatures with elemental resistance. But, its also random elemental so if you were fighting fire drakes you wouldn't ALWAYs get fire damage.

Is it possible you could add it to the prep? Instead of a temp toggle?

prep vivi alkahest?

or maybe

prep alkahest
prep vivi?
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:33 PM CDT

Just to clarify...

>> prep alkahest

Would prep vivi with alkahest.

>> prep vivi

Prep vivi would be standard vivi.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:38 PM CDT
>>>> prep alkahest

Novel. Off hand I'm concerned that due to Vivi's unique mechs it won't work, but I'll poke.

-Armifer
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:44 PM CDT
>>>> prep alkahest

A bit confusing lore wise since USOL is often called the Alkahest. We might need another name for it if its possible...

I am just going to start calling it Alkasect in my head now.

Elusive
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:52 PM CDT
>But I do think some acceleration is necessary because Necromancers are in a somewhat precarious position in that they simply do not have access to various resources without getting all of the "signature" abilities. These spells aren't simply luxuries if you are comparing other spellbooks.

I disagree - you're making choices. One of those choices is to get SRE, which I would say is not requisite for Necromantic shinanigans. CF probably isn't at your range either, though I don't say that with a ton of confidence. RoC probably is, but is a single slot.

>Yar, I don't mind waiting til 80th. It's just the new VIVI spell slot change really accelerates the circle that necromancers can obtain the spell. (Since I doubt many people will get Viscious AND REI ahead of the must haves). I'm sure many more people will run into this issue.

Yup, choices! They are grand.

>Maybe it's best to remove all spell circle requirements and just force players to pay more attention to spell reqs, skill levels and mana requirements. (Because I do agree with the poster its not entirely fair to limit players if they actually have the skill level.)

I think this is a bad idea. Gating some abilities by circle is perfectly reasonable.

>prep alkahest

I also think this is the best way of doing it, though if it's a problem, I feel that permanent Alkahest on with toggle ability off is the way to go.

>A bit confusing lore wise since USOL is often called the Alkahest. We might need another name for it if its possible...

Well, sort of - they're ostensibly referring to the same thing, that is, the Universal Solvent, which for the non-chemistry familiar refers to a substance in which everything/anything will dissolve in (preeeeeeeety scary). USOL appears to be an application of it via spewing it all around, while Alkhest Edge is... I dunno, making the psychic blades actually physical, and made of the Universal Solvent?

FWIW - 'Alkahest' means 'Universal Solvent'. For some funtime historical chemistry/alchemy, look up Aqua Regia, which was one of the pursued chemical solvents by all these crazy alchemists.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 02:53 PM CDT

And for super neat historical reference and Nazi's-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_regia#History
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 03:16 PM CDT

Some of your vital importance spells I guess differ by person. If you are not raising zombies and SRE'ing and being sparing with your use of DO generating buffs, you can use empaths for healing until roughly 60th circle (unless that changed somewhat recently). You are right in you will be unable to get more favors most likely, so either prior preparation and stocking up to use them while you still could would have been helpful, or just depart and dig up your grave. If your dying to mobs your grave will probably be safe, if other people are killing you then you have other issues to worry about.

I would say priority spells for someone who is trying to not make life difficult early, would be CF, Eotb, and RoC. Those three are pretty much all that you need to stay low profile if you are vigilant. You will of course need to add other spells to flesh out hunting and training, the cost of MAF and GAF is high, which could have simply been GAF and researched warding/utility/sorcery all in one with that spell while circling and obtaining more slots.

I picked up the full zombie suite of spells rather quickly, which I regret because I've not used them at all, am almost circle 100 and have neither VIV, USOL, or CH. I've been a feat junkie though, that is for sure.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 05:29 PM CDT
>> Novel. Off hand I'm concerned that due to Vivi's unique mechs it won't work, but I'll poke.

Cool! I had just assumed that "prep alkahest" would actually "prep vivisection + with alchemist temp toggle". I wouldn't care one bit if "prep alkahest" actually prepared vivisection. Probably a lot less work on your end too.

>> I disagree - you're making choices. One of those choices is to get SRE, which I would say is not requisite for Necromantic shinanigans. CF probably isn't at your range either, though I don't say that with a ton of confidence. RoC probably is, but is a single slot.

The choice is in priorities. A necromancer absolutely has to get SRE, there is no "choice." It's really about when. Is that the same as choosing between lightning bolt and fireball? I'm not really sure! And not choosing SRE is akin to the same choice as not picking a guild and running around as a commoner. Sure, you can make that choice, but no sane person would!

>> the cost of MAF and GAF is high, which could have simply been GAF and researched warding/utility/sorcery all in one with that spell while circling and obtaining more slots.

Ahh. I didn't know about magic research back then. That is a great alternative to not getting MAF. Although MAF is amazing in its own right.

>> I picked up the full zombie suite of spells rather quickly, which I regret because I've not used them at all, am almost circle 100 and have neither VIV, USOL, or CH. I've been a feat junkie though, that is for sure.

Yar, I was trying to avoid that this time. In my previous incarnation I was hunting with my mud golems and it was pretty nice. But I've yet to dive into zombies. And USOL was always out of reach for me before due to the massively high selling price of USOL scrolls. And I never used it during any of the previews either. I'm absolutely getting USOL by 80.

Will USOL be as awesome as I'm envisioning it when I first saw it cast back in 2009? Probably not... but it will be worth it anyways!
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 06:31 PM CDT
My initial thought that was in certain situations it would better to have punct/slice instead of punc/elemental, since i'm sure there's spells and new wards and such that will deal explicitly with elemental damages.

Therefor, casting the default punct/slice would be a better choice. Still armors depending and what not.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 09:18 PM CDT
>>I agree. A toggle to turn off potential extra damage is kind of silly, I think.

It's not extra damage though, right? It's replacing the puncture in VIV with a random elemental.

Not that I can think of many situations like this now, but I'd hate to perma-make VIV half-elemental half-physical, go up against an elemental-immune mob, and do half the damage I would when VIV was full-physical.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 10:11 PM CDT
> Not that I can think of many situations like this now

Like say, a war mage running the ethereal shield meta after barrier redesign.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/22/2015 11:39 PM CDT
It might be nichey but I think there are enough situations where you might want to toggle it that it should be an option if at all possible.

Thayet
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 06:38 AM CDT
Alright, I'll make a toggle where PREP ALK turns off/on the damage mod, where the default is that ALK is on if it's known. ALK will only stay off for an hour at a time, but can easily be toggled again if necessary.

Fair?

-Armifer
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 07:32 AM CDT

>Alright, I'll make a toggle where PREP ALK turns off/on the damage mod, where the default is that ALK is on if it's known. ALK will only stay off for an hour at a time, but can easily be toggled again if necessary.

Seems awesome, thanks Armifer.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 11:23 AM CDT

>> Alright, I'll make a toggle where PREP ALK turns off/on the damage mod, where the default is that ALK is on if it's known. ALK will only stay off for an hour at a time, but can easily be toggled again if necessary.

Nice! Sounds awesome.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 11:30 AM CDT
Yup, that would work. Thanks Armifer.

Elusive
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 11:51 AM CDT
Could you possibly add a similar toggle to Flame Shockwave, or poke someone else to do so? Right now, PREP FLS turns it on for a minute or two but I would love if it defaulted on and could be turned off for an hour like this.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 12:17 PM CDT
Great Change. Thanks for asking getting feedback!
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 06:54 PM CDT
>>Like say, a war mage running the ethereal shield meta after barrier redesign.

Of course, moments after me writing that I decided to try fighting celps and...

"The celpeze appears immune to electricity, fire and cold."

Hah.

>>Alright, I'll make a toggle where PREP ALK turns off/on the damage mod, where the default is that ALK is on if it's known. ALK will only stay off for an hour at a time, but can easily be toggled again if necessary.

This is awesome. Thank you.

RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 09:37 PM CDT

FWIW, I think having to choose between physical and elemental damaging spells like this is an example of the system improving. I'm really excited for this change for general purposes, and want to thank you Armifer for giving us the toggle option. Choices! They are grand.
RE: Synthetic Shuffle 07/23/2015 10:58 PM CDT
>> FWIW, I think having to choose between physical and elemental damaging spells like this is an example of the system improving. I'm really excited for this change for general purposes, and want to thank you Armifer for giving us the toggle option. Choices! They are grand.

Well said.