A winding road PART 4 05/30/2013 10:11 PM CDT
As I lie there, my life blood pooling all around my body, I wondered if this was it. Had I come this far just for it all to end at the hands off some vagrant? I knew this city had much to offer me, and I had only just arrived! My sight began to grow dim as two figures walked over to my body and began saying something I could not make out. A slight pressure to my neck, and then darkness.

I was floating through darkness, all around me an empty void. This was it, I was dead. Unbelievable! But then there was a light....multiple lights, and i was blinded. Before me was a figure who introduced itself as The Starry Host or some such nonsense. I was to be given another chance. Even this being knew i had a destiny.

When I awoke i was in some dark room with a tiny sliver of light filtering through a nearby window. As my eyes adjusted i could see the room was very plain and sparsely decorated. Only the bed I was in, along with a dresser in the corner and a woodframed mirror hanging on the wall populated the room. I tried to sit up but a sharp pain in my sides forced me back down. I suppose a cry must have escaped my lips, because immediately after, the door opened and a small robed figure entered.

"How are you feeling? You were in very bad shape, but I cleaned you up, dressed and bandaged your wounds. Lucky no vital organs were struck. What were you doing down that alley all alone?"

Great, a gnome. And by the looks of his brown robes, a monk at that. I answered his questions and asked a few of my own. Apparently he was in town with another member of his order purchasing supplies for fixing up their monastery when they saw me, looking lost, wandering through the city. They witnessed me turning down the wrong alley with some thugs creeping behind me. After i was left for dead they found me and brought me to their monastery and nursed me back to health.

The extent of my wounds was going to leave me bed ridden for quite some time. I asked if they had anything to read in that place, and was promptly rewarded for my inquiry with a stack of religious tomes. The gods werent exactly my favorite topic, but knowledge is knowledge and I was happy to have something to pass the time. I devoured tome after tome and as I learned more about their gods i grew to dislike them.

Knowledge is all i ever had. The pursuit of knowledge has led me here, to this point. To incur favor with these gods, one must feed them their memories. I would never give up my only solace. Why do they want our memories anyway? Perhaps if i learned more about them, i could learn how to live forever without them. This was my new quest, and i was in the perfect place to begin. Little did i know then, just how perfect.

I suppose my hunger for knowledge of the gods must have caught the attention of a Brother Tynick. He came to visit me one day. He was curious about what i had learned, and how i thought about the gods now that i was more knowledgeable of them as opposed to an unschooled country boy. Also, he "asked" me to maintain my upkeep now that i was feeling better. I could do odd jobs around the monastery for them in exchange for room and board. I agreed, i certainly am not above menial labor, and they had housed me for a while now. It was the least i could do.

Needless to say I saw alot of strange things in the following days, which would lead to an event which changed my life forever....
Re: A winding road PART 4 05/30/2013 10:34 PM CDT
Sorry about my above post, I just looked at it and noticed I did not proof read that well at all. Will try and do better on the next one. {blushes)
Re: A winding road PART 4 05/31/2013 10:12 AM CDT
Sucks you guys write better than me

moar
Re: A winding road PART 4 05/31/2013 02:04 PM CDT
I've been enjoying your journal, Ahab! Keep on writing!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy