Benefits of Redemption? 11/29/2018 03:00 PM CST
At some point down the line Redemption is going to be a thing.

My understanding:
- PC goes through some arduous process/quest.
- PC doesn’t lose the ability to do Bad Things, but pinky swears that they’ll be good. The deal: no Risen, no Animation spells, no Transcendental spells.
- In return, PC is no longer persona non grata in the eyes of the Immortals. Can get favors and use the associated perks.

Then came Lyneya’s post:
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Discussions%20with%20DragonRealms%20Staff%20and%20Players/Game%20Master%20and%20Official%20Announcements/view/1607

>>…and four Necromancer spells ::coughRedeemedcough:: have been approved for development in recent weeks. No ETA yet.

The inference here is that there might be some additional benefit(s) to Redemption. One of the four spells is likely the Poison/Disease Blood Magic (which should be for all Necros, I’d hope). Beyond that, though, are one or more of these new spells geared/intended for the Redeemed?

I know things will be shared when they can be shared, but my kremlinology gears are winding up.

If any of these new spells are meant for the Redeemed, can we get some insight on how that’d even work? Has there been a conceptual shift, or am I just over analyzing?

- I
Re: Benefits of Redemption? 11/29/2018 03:04 PM CST
>>One of the four spells is likely the Poison/Disease Blood Magic (which should be for all Necros, I’d hope).

No, poison/disease spell is for non-Redeemed.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Benefits of Redemption? 11/29/2018 04:08 PM CST
>> No, poison/disease spell is for non-Redeemed.

That was my assumption. Sorry if I worded that poorly.

My other assumption was that, of the three remaining spells approved for dev, one or more of them was going to be for the Redeemed.

>> The Redeemed are the half-holy, wielding acid in one hand and cleansing fire in the other.

That sounds like a yes.

- I
Re: Benefits of Redemption? 11/29/2018 04:20 PM CST
The Redeemed are planned to have four spells specific to them, some recovering what we considered "vital utility" that they would've otherwise lost, and some that are neat addons that give the state a little meat.

The poison/disease curer is an older proposal not related to the ones discussed in the SoE post.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Benefits of Redemption? 11/29/2018 06:45 PM CST
> The Redeemed are planned to have four spells specific to them, some recovering what we considered "vital utility" that they would've otherwise lost, and some that are neat addons that give the state a little meat.
That sounds pretty awesome. I always felt that Redeemed was a more raw deal than it needed to be. Hopefully these spells can make up for it. If the spells are specifically for Redeemed, does this mean that they have some sort of holy confound that prevents other Necromancers from using them?

- Saragos
Re: Benefits of Redemption? 11/29/2018 06:54 PM CST
>>That sounds pretty awesome. I always felt that Redeemed was a more raw deal than it needed to be. Hopefully these spells can make up for it.

The Redeemed was always meant to be an analog to a Shocked Empath. It was conceived in an era of stark contrasts and with the notion that redemption meant, like shock, "doing it wrong." We've relaxed both guilds' antithetical states and Redeemed have conceptually become something that, again, is a bit like modern 100% Shock: it removes iconic and useful abilities, but isn't entirely without merit.

>>If the spells are specifically for Redeemed, does this mean that they have some sort of holy confound that prevents other Necromancers from using them?

No one except the Redeemed themselves understand what's involved or whence they came. Under duress, they only speak of holy chains.

-Armifer
Re: Benefits of Redemption? 11/29/2018 09:42 PM CST
>>Under duress, they only speak of holy chains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uttV1VZUgQQ

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.