1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Glass Construct Feedback 06/25/2012 09:22 AM CDT
>>Rare components are available to everyone. It's not just something rich people can get. It's like saying treasure maps aren't available to everyone. Anyone can get one, if they invest enough time.<<

^This.

If the orbs are part of the enchanting/crafting system, make one, some, or all of the components rare enough that it would be difficult, but not impossible, to produce in large quantities. How do you get the components? Well, you could mine them yourself or buy them off of someone who is mining them, or you could pay for the finished product. Supply and demand says that the cost of rare materials will be high, the cost of the finished product using rare materials will be higher, but in the end, it is a product that is available to anyone with enough time, effort, and/or coin.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Glass Construct Feedback 06/25/2012 09:29 AM CDT
Again, it depends on the level of rarity. Everyone can get their hands on a steel sword. Most people cannot get their hands on haralun swords. To make a crafting recipe robust, you should let quality, not production, be limited by rarity of materials. If you want to say 'its not that rare, anyone can get it' then I have to ask, why even provide this hurdle?
Re: Glass Construct Feedback 06/25/2012 09:36 AM CDT
>>To make a crafting recipe robust, you should let quality, not production, be limited by rarity of materials.

I'm fine with the idea of the materials used resulting in a cap of how big the constructs get. If someone really wants to make a billion tiny glass constructs out of tin, more power to them.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Glass Construct Feedback 06/25/2012 09:41 AM CDT
>>If someone really wants to make a billion tiny glass constructs out of tin, more power to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass

For reference.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Glass Construct Feedback 06/25/2012 10:01 AM CDT
>>For reference.

Hush you! :P

What I was trying to convey is that if, with the way enchanting works, material value X is what determines how good an enchantment can get, I wouldn't consider value X not being a "this is what the value needs to be higher than in order to work" as a bad thing, if it instead was a value on how good/strong/effective/capable/etc the item being made was.

That way, uber-glass constructs could still be rare/limited/bottlenecked, because the really good stuff would be hard to come by, but if someone really wanted to make a ton of them, they'd be the junky/downtweaked/nerfed types that GMs were referencing would have to exist in the event that producing them was really easy.

And I assume tin would be junk material to use as a reference idea, because I've yet to see it do anything useful beyond yardsticks. :P

But, as I said, I feel this way because I feel like crafting timers just aren't the way to go.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Glass Construct Feedback 06/25/2012 10:30 AM CDT
of course, since sand can be made of glass, i expect there to be a way to make it in the deserts.... :-)

<3, muspar'i....

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Glass Construct Feedback 06/26/2012 01:06 PM CDT
Just so Raesh can feel better, I'll paraphrase:

I'm fine with the idea of the materials used resulting in a cap of how big the constructs get. If someone really wants to make a billion tiny glass constructs out of beer bottle glass, more power to them. If you want them out of laminated safety glass, expect that to be more rare. And if you want them out of bulletproof glass, expect that to be a unique item.

Abison/Rystien
1 3 Next Next_page