Eventual Sect Changes 12/18/2012 11:20 AM CST
So obviously Im sure this is down on the list but Ive been thinking about the Sect "Rewrite" that has been talked about briefly. Im not sure if anything has been set in stone as far as what will be looked at so I thought it would be interesting to hear what folks would like to see in the Sect system.

-First and foremost Id love to see the Marks arrive. I have no idea what it was planned to be but I almost thought of it as a physical brand or mark that you went on a mini quest for to prove that you were one of the best in the Sect.

-Id love to see titles more based from the Sect trainer. You need to go there to get your first titles. Id like to see this be the case for the others as well. It would be nice in this case if he hinted at what reqs you were lacking in for said title when asked. Also... more titles heh.

-More cantrips! I love these things. My biggest desire would be to see a Sect version of Pattern Hues. So that should you wish certain spells would modify based on the Sect you chose. So for example Moongate would have traces of crimson and shadow for a Progeny member but say maybe a crystaline appearance for Monks. Or blue tinged Burns for Celestians while the Pethians would have purple hues. That sort of thing. Not as versitile as the Pattern Hues but it would give some nice flavor.

-Id love to see our sect shops get a MUCH better selection of goods. The same crimson spiraled pants only go so far.

-I wouldnt mind seeing another Circle unlocked spell prep or two.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Eventual Sect Changes 12/18/2012 03:13 PM CST
>>My biggest desire would be to see a Sect version of Pattern Hues.

I'd love to see something like this, although the more versatility the better. If I could I'd align with Xibar and have icy-blue tinges to various spells.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Eventual Sect Changes 12/20/2012 10:32 AM CST
>>I'd love to see something like this, although the more versatility the better. If I could I'd align with Xibar and have icy-blue tinges to various spells.

However neat this idea is, if you think about it there are not a lot of options here. Most of our visible spells are already colored by the moon we cast it off of.

The only exceptions really are...

Dinazen Olkar and Shear.

Shear always appears blue, so that can get color shifted I guess. Dinazen Olkar is a noose of shadows so? A burning noose of shadows? A frozen noose of shadows? A shadowy noose of shadows? Say what?.

Mental Energy is invisible, transduction maybe but most teleportation spells are colored by the moon so that leaves PD which is just rogue teleportation energy and Riftal Summons in 3.0 seems to do something about the colors. Mine are always some shade of Red not sure if thats Tezirite influence or just coincidence.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: Eventual Sect Changes 12/21/2012 01:19 PM CST
>>If I could I'd align with Xibar and have icy-blue tinges to various spells.

>>Most of our visible spells are already colored by the moon we cast it off of.

I'd like to see a "pattern hues" type cantrip that takes us AWAY from the required moon-colored light. If we're masters of manipulating light, I don't see any reason why someone couldn't have figured out ways to stretch/compress the wavelengths that we are working with to produce different effects based on sect. Using dazzle for an example:

Unsected: A flash of <silvery-blue/ruby/yellow> light envelops a <creature>!

Gypsy: A spray of multicolored lights dance chaotically around <creature>!

Progeny: Severe crimson light flashes briefly, leaving residual pockets of unnatural shadow floating in <creature>'s field of vision

Monk: Bright white rays of light focus themselves into <creature>'s eyes, as though the ambient illumination has been intensified and scattered by some unseen prism.

Prophets: An odd purple haze coalesces around <creature> before bursting in an intense flash of light

Celestians: Flashes of light envelop <creature>, briefly trapping <it/him/her> in an intense display in the shape of <random constellation>

Nomads: Threads of liquid light flow through the air, surrounding <creature>'s head before pulsing brightly and evaporating into the air.

Heritage: An egg-shaped ball of light coalesces in <caster>'s hand, who then hurls it at <creature>'s face, where it erupts in an intense flash.

I'd like if most of our light-based spells, including moonblade, burn, COL, even moonbeams, could be adjusted to display sect messaging through a cantrip. I'd also like to be able to tune things like COL, Shear, or moonbeams into non-visible spectrums. For the sake of surprise. Maybe that would have to be a metaspell of some sort, though, as I feel having visible indicators of active spells and buffs is part of the game design and not to be tossed out lightly.
Re: Eventual Sect Changes 12/21/2012 01:52 PM CST
While the messaging on this is very creative and I like it I dont think poor raesh would be interested in writing this many new messages heh. This though is very similar to what I was thinking of when I suggested a pattern hues type cantrip. Color variations to certain spells based on the sect you belong to. I think it would give a very interesting personality to our spells.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Eventual Sect Changes 12/21/2012 02:13 PM CST
>>While the messaging on this is very creative and I like it I dont think poor raesh would be interested in writing this many new messages heh.

You can say that again.

Given the staggering amount of messaging I already need to write for things that actually do things (I'm looking at you prediction tools, and they're just the tip of a very large iceberg).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose