Fortune Reqs 09/30/2011 02:20 AM CDT
I am told that each sect basically has two lores or skills that they "concentrate on" and that fortune's path uses escaping. Do you need ranks in escaping to JOIN this sect, and is it a requirement to advance. i am confused as to how the two skills play a part IN the sect.
Re: Fortune Reqs 09/30/2011 03:08 AM CDT
>>Do you need ranks in escaping to JOIN this sect, and is it a requirement to advance.

You should not need ranks to join, nor to gain cantrips (though I suppose I can't be 100% sure about that, as I haven't gotten any).

The only thing you should need escaping for is the sect-based titles.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Fortune Reqs 09/30/2011 03:11 AM CDT
Sect based titles which at this point i really dont care about. I dont expect a 100% accurate answer, but id love to join Fortune's Path, i just really need to know if i gotta train up escaping, because its really a huge pain to train it.
Re: Fortune Reqs 09/30/2011 03:47 AM CDT
escaping is not a part of it. It's circle based (only I believe. Does anyone think there are more reqs?), at circle 17 or maybe 15 you should be able to join any sect you want.
Re: Fortune Reqs 09/30/2011 05:18 AM CDT
Correct that's titles only.

I haven't really decided what it'll become in Skills 3.0 -- though I'm glad it gives me an excuse to change that particular req since I've been unhappy with it for awhile.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Fortune Reqs 09/30/2011 11:09 AM CDT
>I haven't really decided what it'll become in Skills 3.0 -- though I'm glad it gives me an excuse to change that particular req since I've been unhappy with it for awhile.

You've been unhappy about it? <g>

-Coralin
Re: Fortune Reqs 09/30/2011 07:11 PM CDT
Eh, what can I say. The new MM titles were one of my first projects and there's a couple of things I would have done differently with them... which I'll hopefully get a chance to do once Skills 3.0 is in the mix since I'll need to tweak a bunch of the anyhow.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Fortune Reqs 10/01/2011 02:12 AM CDT
You could reconsider Appraisal as a Monk requirement too if you feel like it. That's never made sense to me.
Re: Fortune Reqs 10/01/2011 06:47 AM CDT
>>You could reconsider Appraisal as a Monk requirement too if you feel like it. That's never made sense to me.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

-Raesh

Re: Fortune Reqs 10/04/2011 07:11 AM CDT
for Fortune: switching out escaping for Mechanical lore due to the (card playing, gambling gobble-de-goo) makes sense, or dare i say stealing as a requirement. Although i do hate the thought of trying to train up stealing very very much.
Re: Fortune Reqs 10/04/2011 12:20 PM CDT
Keep in mind mechanical lore is going away.

Thievery (What stealing is becoming) would thematically be an option, but I'm not sure I'm that cruel after the whole escaping thing. In my defense, when I picked that there were some new systems in the works that I thought were going to make the skill more viable. Live and learn eh?

-Raesh

Re: Fortune Reqs 10/04/2011 01:48 PM CDT
Thievery would be viable IF it's also a recognized skill for circling.

-Coralin
Re: Fortune Reqs 10/04/2011 06:22 PM CDT
I was just glad to see any title work, whatever the reqs.
Re: Fortune Reqs 11/08/2011 09:56 AM CST
As a member of Fortune's Path, I like the idea of stealing being a pre-requisite for titles even though I don't have many ranks in stealing.
Nomad question 12/19/2011 05:11 AM CST
As the Oshu Sarhhthar cantrip for nomads reduces RT for adventurers being raised from the dead, I was wondering whether it performs a similar function in a room in which a necromancer is raising a creature from the dead?

I mean, it would make sense that it would.

<just a curious bone dancer>

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Nomad question 12/19/2011 07:33 AM CST
>>I mean, it would make sense that it would.

I don't know if it would be as certain as that. While a Cleric can "oops" their way into making a zombie, the way a Cleric and Necromancer does it seem to be rather different.
Re: Nomad question 12/19/2011 07:37 AM CST
>>As the Oshu Sarhhthar cantrip for nomads reduces RT for adventurers being raised from the dead, I was wondering whether it performs a similar function in a room in which a necromancer is raising a creature from the dead?
Just out of curiosity, because I've never used it for any purpose aside from proving that my milkshake brings the girls to the yard, how does this cantrip work exactly? You use it, and anyone being raised while it's going on enjoys reduced RT upon Cleric rezz?
Re: Nomad question 12/19/2011 09:04 AM CST
its reduced RT for the rezz itself <both the cleric and the rezee are prone once the cleric does the gesture. the dance you do reduces the RT that they are lying there.

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Nomad question 10/21/2012 09:27 PM CDT
Thievery is a GREAT option for gypsies. I always wondered why stealing wasn't the major skill, it's built into gypsy lore more than any other sect.
Re: Nomad question 10/22/2012 03:03 AM CDT
Okay, between the change of thread title and the extreme thread necromancy it took me awhile to figure out what we were discussing.

The reason I'm uncomfortable making thievery the skill driving Fortune's Path is simple: Not all Fortune's Path members are gypsies, and not all gypsies are thieves. I feel like if Thievery was the skill I selected I would be needlessly restricting the RP of members of the sect.

Even Lomtaun (One of the highest profile members) states this explicitly:

>ask lom about sect
Lomtaun gazes into the mosaic whirlpool as he speaks. "While I am no gypsy, I do allow Fate to lead me where it may. For this reason, I associate most closely with the ways of the Fortune's Path sect. There are several boats moored here at the island, piloted by those who can tell you more."

-Raesh

Re: Nomad question 10/22/2012 05:44 AM CDT
gypsies, tramps and thieves....

sounds like a Cher song....

;-)

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Nomad question 10/22/2012 11:49 AM CDT
I'd kinda be sad about thievery. I trained up stealing for a while for fun, but it just wasn't worth it to me. Also, my gypsy isn't all that stealthy to begin with.

I think last time this conversation came up, Performance was mentioned? However, that might be similar to the escaping idea since it'd hinge on an expansion of that system that is coming down the pipes 'soon'.

I feel like Astrology + Tactics or Evasion could fit into the theme of gypsies having "a tendency to be where Fate wants them and not where Fate does not."

Also, aren't there some sects with title based on attributes instead of skills? Charisma fits in my mind with the idea of gypsies, and Reflex would fit the above them.