Calm 09/15/2020 06:24 PM CDT
Early debilitation training as a Moon Mage is kind of rough. Looking at some of our options...

If you're under 11th circle you have access to Burden, but the effect of burden can't be refreshed, so effectively you can only cast this once per mob. It can keep debilitation moving at a crawl, but it's pretty terrible for training beyond the first few circles.

Dazzle works well enough, but it can fail in some situations due to environmental conditions. It's okay for training, but not super reliable at low circles if you can't overcome the no light source penalty.

I haven't picked up Sleep so I'm not sure about it. If the effect breaks from being attacked then it could be good, but I worry it might have the same problem as Burden where subsequent casts simply fail.

Lastly there's Calm. It's almost perfect for training - easy intro spell, has no environmental conditions, can spam cast it because the effect can be broken very easily. The problem that Calm has is that creatures can simply walk out of the room at any point once they've been calmed, even if they were at melee range with you, and this can happen during the 2 seconds of RT that the caster receives.

My suggestion would be for Calm to give the victim 2-3 seconds of RT so that they can't leave the room before the caster has a chance to end the calm effect. Either that or require the mob to retreat before leaving, but I can understand why that would be less desirable in the event that the caster is using Calm defensively and not just as a training tool.

Please consider!