Unleash Timing 04/08/2019 06:48 PM CDT
Is there a heightened chance of destroying a scroll if you don't let unleash fully prep before casting? I've tried to figure this out for years.

Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the
other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice. —Inferno
Re: Unleash Timing 04/09/2019 01:31 PM CDT
So I gathered enough scrolls to at least try some of this in Test, which I should have done a long time ago, but here were the results. It's obviously a limited set.

All casts were at 50 mana, Sentinel's Resolve. I went through 10 scrolls until destruction, five for each prep time variable and just gauged how many unleashes it took to kill the scroll. The number indicates which cast of unleash destroyed the scroll. To be honest, I don't know what to make of this other than I probably need many more scrolls to draw a conclusion but maybe someone else has a better inpretation. Figured I'd share it either way.

Sentinel's Resolve:
10 second prep at 50 mana:
Scroll 1: 13th destroyed scroll
Scroll 2: 13th destroyed scroll
Scroll 3: 25th destroyed scroll
Scroll 4: 8th destroyed scroll
Scroll 5: 22nd destroyed scroll

20 second prep at 50 mana:
Scroll 1: 16th destroyed scroll
Scroll2: 21st destroyed scroll
Scroll 3: 15th destroyed scroll
Scroll 4: 26th destroyed scroll
Scroll 5: 1st destroyed scroll

Re: Unleash Timing 04/09/2019 03:41 PM CDT
Your results were 5 breaks out of 81 with the 10 second prep, and 5 breaks out of 79 with the 20 second prep. This is not significant evidence of a difference, statistically (and it's not in the direction of your alternative hypothesis, anyway). This is enough to convince me personally that there isn't a significant difference in break chance based on prep time.

If I were to suggest a follow up experiment, I would say don't use random scrolls from the treasure system, but identical store bought scrolls (you can buy whatever is cheapest from the shop in Crossing, for example). I assume that the scroll does not retain a memory of past unleash casts, so that the chance of breaking is the same no matter how many times you've done it before. If you don't want to rely that assumption you could also use each scroll only one time.

Again, I personally am convinced that there isn't a significant difference, based on your results so far, so I would say there's no need for further testing, unless others have experienced different results.
Re: Unleash Timing 04/09/2019 10:30 PM CDT
Thanks. Good ideas but I’m inclined to agree there’s no difference, or at least a small enough one that it’s not worth more time testing on my end.

Re: Unleash Timing 04/10/2019 12:49 PM CDT
As someone with training in statistics, your sample sizes are far too small to support a conclusion either way.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Unleash Timing 04/10/2019 07:47 PM CDT
If you have a desire to test more scroll spells and i can get one of the GMs to copy me over there with inventory, i'd be happy to hand you my book.. i have a ton of scroll spells. we'll have to plan it out but let me know.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR