Mental Blast Divorce from crowd control 02/26/2018 11:47 AM CST
I would like to see mental blast streamlined to a straight nerve damage attack. So it can just be good at one thing. Trying to use it as a disarm, sleep, stun and nerve damage makes it silly because right now it is currently only being used to stack nerve damage on multiple casts after a certain point because Sleep is just way better at landing and sleeping as its name implies. I'm sure everyone can agree in the circle 150+ game, mental blast is not effective as anything but a nerve damage attack.

Making this change would allow our other crowd control spells to be crowd control maybe? Sleep is the only spell in our crowd control that just does its job simply and i'm ever grateful for it. Making calm work as a plain immobilize and making dazzle work as a blind of sorts to lower defenses and or perception would be a fix that makes sense and isn't even over powering the book but making it equal with other basic and intro debilitation spells. You could also make it so mind shout doesn't have that timer on it and make it useful to train with. Our options to train with are very lacking without a good AOE spell to use, and its not clear if were getting back shadow web ever or not.

Mental blast used to be super over powered, but right now the stat contest is leaning towards too hard to make it sleep someone who is in your range. I think its great at doing nerve damage. And this is what it should focus on. Reducing its slot cost, making it just nerve damage and removing requisite spells like hypnotize makes a lot of sense.

If we need a disarm spell we can just make hypnotize do this by commanding them to drop held weapons. With arm worn shields and stuff falling at peoples feet it wouldn't help at all though, unless it barred their picking the weapon/shield back up for a period of time. Not even being able to make a PC prone with a meta spell added onto calm is kinda shocking really. Why does it suck so bad? Calm and hypnotize together are very underwhelming compared to other intro debilitation spells.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Mental Blast Divorce from crowd control 02/26/2018 12:11 PM CST
That would be nice, primarily, because it would be a good way to reduce the cost of mental blast. Only problem is, I think it would need another name.