Moonblade duration 12/09/2016 01:48 PM CST
I'd love to be able to extend the duration of moonblades to ritual length to add to their utility. I'd be willing to spend an extra slot if needed for a meta spell to do that as well. I think this has been discussed in the past but pushed aside because moonblade enchanting might be a thing some day. I'd like to see this happen soon though and if permanent moonblades do become a thing, this spell can be dropped. Would this be possible?
Re: Moonblade duration 12/09/2016 04:07 PM CST
I liked (Saragos'?) idea for a metaspell (or magical feat) that allowed for ritual duration casts of spells but just out of curiosity why for moonblade in particular? You can refresh moonblades already. It would make more sense to ask for the same duration as focus moonbeam imo.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Moonblade duration 12/24/2016 07:09 PM CST
I would love to get the duration moonblades up to that of focus moonbeam. I wanted a longer duration to make up for when no moons were up.

I recently had an idea of how to 'buff' moonblade a bit though. I've seen people asking for ways to change the density of the weapons similar to how war mages can. How about instead have each of the moons have their own specific density? Say casting on xibar be the lightest, katamba be medium, and yavash be heaviest. I don't know the lore of the moons well enough to know if this would be the correct distribution, but just as an example. The weights could be like 3, 5, and 7 respectively. (Numbers all subject to balancing and approval) And if the duration was able to be increased, it would allow a mage to summon the blade they want while that moon is up then hopefully keep it up for a long while, baring such things as death and unbend and other hindering effects. Refreshing a moonblade would still be useful for refreshing nodes in empowered moonblades.
Re: Moonblade duration 12/25/2016 02:39 AM CST
>>I would love to get the duration moonblades up to that of focus moonbeam. I wanted a longer duration to make up for when no moons were up.

Having limited access to spells when the moons are limited is an intended constraint for Moon Mages. I wouldn't expect it to go away.

>>I recently had an idea of how to 'buff' moonblade a bit though. I've seen people asking for ways to change the density of the weapons similar to how war mages can. How about instead have each of the moons have their own specific density?

It is unlikely moonblades will receive further improvements to their functionality as actual weapons. Moon Mages are weapon tert and if we were to redesign the guild from the ground up today it is unlikely they would have moonblades at all, or they would at least look very different.

Continued improvement to moonblades as a magic prop is more likely.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Moonblade duration 12/25/2016 10:22 AM CST
<Continued improvement to moonblades as a magic prop is more likely.

How about being usable as a ritual focus.
Re: Moonblade duration 12/25/2016 10:30 AM CST
<Continued improvement to moonblades as a magic prop is more likely.

>How about being usable as a ritual focus.

That would be a pretty great improvement to EMMO. Especially if it was the lower RT for Invoke style of ritual focus.
Re: Moonblade duration 12/25/2016 07:06 PM CST
I've always been a huge WOT fan. When I think moonblade I think something akin to Callandor, a sa'angreal. I've never really cared for the EMMO aspect, although, it was better before when it held a fully charged spell. Now its just next to worthless since the only spells i'd use it for, were already battle spells with short preparation time. I don't play a moonmage anymore, but always wanted to see something cool come of the spell that involved a magical aspect, maybe being a ritual focus, or even a TM channeling device that allowed a increase to TM. Kind of like clerical alignment. Maybe a different moon for a different magical bonus attribute, and going about making a moonblade would take certain steps kind of like elemental weapons.
Re: Moonblade duration 12/25/2016 07:18 PM CST
This reminds me of a major update to EMMO I was going to make... well, awhile back.

I wonder how much, if any, of that code I already wrote?

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Moonblade duration 01/01/2017 04:47 PM CST
>Moon Mages are weapon tert and if we were to redesign the guild from the ground up today it is unlikely they would have moonblades at all, or they would at least look very different.

Thank God that isn't happening. Whoever originally designed the old spells that were removed made the guild what it is today and in everyone's mind the moon mage is attached to those awesome spells. I was a ranger until I saw a moonblade and steelstar in action and promptly changed guilds. What a moon mage "is", the guilds past, was done amazingly. And its kind of sad to see anyone speak in a tone that undermines that greatness. Players have a far different idea of what a moon mage is than what were being told it should be.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Moonblade duration 01/01/2017 05:40 PM CST
> every moon mage would love the return of both steelstar and old crystal spike

> in everyone's mind the moon mage is attached to those awesome spells

> Players have a far different idea of what a moon mage is than what were being told it should be

I encourage you to use less expansive language.
Re: Moonblade duration 01/01/2017 07:43 PM CST
>>I encourage you to use less expansive language.

Thanks I appreciate the encouragement. I guess you are right, there are always those who would spit in the face of the good fortune of getting something that was taken returned.

The ideologies of the guild have shifted over the years and whatever it originally was included ideas that the current group of devs does not agree with. Its only a few people's ideas that have changed the guild so drastically from what it was originally. I believe it was armifer who described the moon mage as a scholar akin to something like Indianna Jones. In the same guild we have the gold caps, the crystal hand Monks, the y'shai, the nomads with a history of war and everything in between with the rest of the sects. Nothing about that broad description of the guild spells out "non combat" or confines what a moon mage must be.

I'll be happy if I have at least sparked some desire for reform on the concept of what it means to be a moon mage and what lunar magic is. Push aside this simple confining notion that it must inherently be a non combat guild because a forum post said it was. Think about the in game lore and the history of the guild. They gave weapon ranks to traders guild cause traveling is dangerous. Traveling. But moon mages described as adventurer scholars like indianna jones with the most advanced traveling abilities on the planet are not supposed to be able to defend themselves while traveling. Also Indanna Jones the man used as a description once was in fights more than not due to traveling dangerous areas in the far reaches of the world. Used whips, guns and could fist fight pretty darn good too. Nothing ever said non combat in the varied descriptions of the guilds sects or on their website in any place. Then a forum post proclamation deems that moon mages are non combat, and essentially sit on their rumps, study the stars and forgo being the most advanced travelers in the world. If a traveling trader needs weapon ranks to protect a caravan on the dangerous roads, then why would a guild with sects like the Crystal Hand Monks or the Progeny, not understand self defense to protect themselves while they travel on their studies.

Neither guild should be expected to be primary combat focused guild, but to say either is non combat is silly, especially since traders get weapon rank requirements and are a lunar magic guild as well. Don't let the guild be railroaded from being weapon and armor tertiary. You don't need weapons or armor to defend yourself as a moon mage and our skillsets shouldn't leave us with a description of "non combat". Its far too limiting and makes it easy to point at a rule for a reason for any decisions. Think outside the "non combat" labeling non sense.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Moonblade duration 01/01/2017 08:42 PM CST
I've played a moon mage the majority of my time in DR which has been a long time. I however have been pretty underwhelmed with their combat potential as of late. I held out for some time hoping that spells like the revised CRS would come to light, or others like a heavy tm spell that I would find interesting, however, that didn't happen before I decided to yet again sell another moon mage and move on from the guild. I did appreciate some of the new spells like Braun's conjecture and Read the ripples that made prediction a lot less of a hassle.

I'm not saying MM aren't any fun, because they are, or that they are completely horrible, I just think they could definitely use a few tweaks. Even debilitation that has always been a strong point as a MM has seemed to go the wayside, with spells like MB pretty much feeling like a mana sink. I always just used sleep at high mana as it was usually easier to win the contest with or break MR, and the fact that MB didn't stack irked me. I'm not sure if they changed MB to stack at smaller success or not but hopefully it got looked at.