Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/12/2016 11:51 AM CDT
I actually love both PD and DO. My problem for my list is I genuinely like almost all the spells.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/12/2016 12:10 PM CDT
>>My problem for my list is I genuinely like almost all the spells.

That's not a problem.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/13/2016 10:18 AM CDT

>I note that nobody has mentioned partial displacement. I just wanted to give a mention to this one as the messaging on it makes it my standard TM spell.

PD has some of, if not the best messaging of any TM spell in game.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/18/2016 10:11 PM CDT
First off, thanks for asking about the spells, I think there are a few spells which could use a little love. I will start off with the top/bottom but i am also going to comment on the rest of the spells. Please remember this is only my opinion.

Let me first set the stage, playing a moonie in Plat so there are a few things that are not as helpful for me as for others playing in Prime. Also, I do not CvC/PvP so my view is strictly based on how the spells interact with critters/environment/my character.

TOP 5:
-SEER'S SENSE - great for bumping up my defenses when moving to the next hunting tier, also good while i'm there and a good gauge of when i need to consider moving again (ie. if i can do it without SEER, i probably need to look for a next spot)
-MENTAL BLAST - all around best debil, wish the stun was a little longer but the nervous system damage is good. Having said that, i'd love to see the pre-reqs reviewed and changed so they are lower since MB is a slot hog all on its own
-STARLIGHT SPHERE - i like this spell insomuch as it is our only TM cyclic and it does a decent job if the situation is right.
-TELEKINETIC STORM - my go to TM choice.
-SHADOWS - probably the best buffer when paired with high stealth

BOTTOM 5:
-SHEAR- mixed feelings on this because of the huge drawback it has of not being able to cast while using it, never really understood that since i think there are other barriers that do not have such a heinous drawback. Also the duration, provided you are someplace like sky giants or malchatas, is pretty much worthless so i just end up recasting it over and over again to maintain it. What it does do however, it does well, magic stops at the door.
-UNLEASH - this spell has so much potential but the lackluster ratio of scroll cast to scroll destruction and the rarity of most spells makes this spell pointless for me.
-CAGE OF LIGHT - i like this spell in theory but i can't seem to stack barrier spells so this gets shoved down the list in favor of MAF and yes i realize the barrier review is coming (is here?) and this might not be the case much longer
-BURN - i've forgotten how long it's been since i cast this
-CALM / HYPONOTIZE / SLEEP - i really wish something would be done with these spells, i have zero use for them once i get to MB, several posters have already mentioned the juggling act it is to try and command 1/2/3 etc. In dire needs i might cast calm on everything in the room... one by one.. but really overall these 3 could use a reason to exist

REMAINDER:
-ARTIFICER'S EYE - don't have this one
-AURA SIGHT - i used to have this spell, haven't needed the boost to astro in a while and due to spell slot limitations chose to forget it, i will probably pick this back up again for the attunement assistance since mana is changing how it regens
-BRAUN'S CONJECTURE - don't have this one
-CLEAR VISION - i feel like this spell and piercing gaze really need to get made into one for a 1 slot cost
-CONTINGENCY - great for exploration when you just don't know what to expect or to keep going against a critter with special attacks that might wreck you
-DAZZLE - i like this spell and it would probably make my top 5 if it could be cast indoors
-DESTINY CYPHER - don't have this one
-DINAZEN OLKAR - use this very infrequently, probably as often as i do burn
-DISTANT GAZE - had this when it was a pre-req, forgot it and never looked back, i suppose it makes a nice RP tool in invasions, large battles, etc..
-EMPOWER MOONBLADE - don't have this one, don't see a point to moonblade in general due to having played for long enough to have great weapons
-FOCUS MONBEAM - this is exactly right for this spell, zero cost spell
-INVOCATION OF THE SPHERES - i feel the spell is too niche for me, i have it, but i feel like it has too few combinations to make it worthwhile
-LOCATE - bread and butter MM, no issues here
-MACHINIST'S TOUCH - really sad that PG no longer has the locksmithing bonus and that this spell received it instead, i have not picked this up yet
-MIND SHOUT - post changes, i think this spell will be great.
-MOONBLADE - no point for me, have better weapons that have no lunar requirements and weight is not an issue
-MOONGATE - no real point for this, used very infrequently in Plat but we have portals
-PARTIAL DISPLACEMENT - i love the idea behind this spell, i am excited it is getting some added benefits
-PIERCING GAZE - i really feel like this spell is no different than focus moonbeam and should not cost any slots to give me the ability to bypass clouds. In and of itself, this spell does nothing much like focus moonblade. Please give some thought to moving this to a zero slot spell and do away with the x-ray vision (if it still does that)
-PSYCHIC SHIELD - i have only ever used this spell to train magic ranks, but i don't do much PvP so YMMV
-READ THE RIPPLES - only used this during the trial period and the time frame during which it would work did not seem long enough to go with the 1 hr cool down. I suppose if i was in a pinch and needed to fill all of my pools (since it does not selectively target empty ones to fill) it would be worth using but still the cooldown is way too long for me
-REFRACTIVE FIELD - i like this spell though i really do wish that it worked differently than hiding+, it really is magical hiding and it should take either magic or a special ability to pull you out of it not just "oh hey i see you there as if you were hiding".
-REND - i have this spell but so infrequently kill things that buff themselves with magic that i had to check to see if i actually still had it that's how frequently i use it, niche but probably useful
-RIFTAL SUMMONS - never had this spell but seems like a nice to have if you need someone brought to you.. again playing in Plat so not really needed
-SEVER THREAD - never saw a point to this but i know Raesh is looking at the TELEO book
-SHADEWATCH MIRROR - never had it, never needed it
-SHADOWLING - this was a great spell for me into my late circles, gave it up due to trying out other spells, possibly will pick it back up depending on how severe the mana regen thing turns out to be
-SHADOW SERVANT - portable vault, love it, no need to expound.
-SHAPE MOONBLADE - unnecessary for me
-SHIFT MOONBEAM - this used to be one of my favorite spells back when it could move across Elanthia with a magic check only. I'm not sure how useful it is currently, any feedback on this would be appreciated
-SOVEREIGN DESTINY - don't have it, never needed it

-STEPS OF VUAN - as someone else mentioned, trying to use this with a group is very challenging and it to suffers from the hiding+ manner in which magical invisibility is handled in game
-TANGLED FATE - too niche for me, i'm at a point where if i do curse something i really didn't want to curse i can ALIGN TRANSMOG and predict again to overturn the curse
-TELEKINETIC THROW - decent multi strike, inventory management is a pain and it almost begs to have a new zero cost spell created that's just called SLIVERS though at this point i can fling around tons of stuff provided that there is something there to throw
-TELEPORT - pointless for me in Plat
-TENEBROUS SENSE - i like this spell, have used it in the mines when i need a light and forget to bring one which is always
-TEZIRAH'S VEIL - loved the old version, i liked the new version but the drawbacks are not worth it especially since i think Raesh said he'd be fixing it so it's not as good as it currently is
-TOUGHTCAST - never needed it as there is no shortage of free gweths in Plat

Just wanted to share my thoughts. Thanks!

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/18/2016 10:47 PM CDT

Moon mages really have a fantastic repository that appeals to all ranges of

My Top 5, on my mostly non-combat moon mage:
* Shadow Servant - I have loved this spell since I first used it many years ago. It lets me focus on mentals rather than strength.
* Shadowling - especially with the invoke option. Who doesn't love more mana?
* Shift Moonbeam - The point where a moonmage has the ability to never walk again.
* Moongate/RS - Primary moon mage utility.
* TKS - I just like the spell flavor, and who doesn't like AOE TM spells?

My Bottom 5:
* Calm - Feels redundant
* MoonBlade - This spell is always a weaker version of the weapon it emulates, even after investing into the forging talents. In a perfect world, EMPO would store mana at cast which would give it a purpose. Also in the perfect world, I'd have a shadow servant handling my weapons for me so I don't have to worry about weights, this lets me save on the forging talents and weight.
* Sheer - I hate spells that mean I can't use my spells.
* Hypnotize - It feels pointless. I'd rather this was a feat based on PM.
* Unleash - It shouldn't destroy the scroll. It should warp it in a plane of probability weirdness kind of way. If you fail, then it turns a parchment to a bark, for example. The steps down would be affected by mana.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/22/2016 10:17 AM CDT
Top 5-

Teleport: teleporting to Grazhir is my favorite thing
Locate: no one escapes
Steps of Vuan: I'm invisible 24/7
Rend: when you hit that Osrela Meraud and all their spells drop
Shadows/Seers Sense: required buffs

Bottom 5:

Piercing Gaze: Clear Vision should see through clouds
Tenebrous Sense: this should be a cantrip
Cage of Light: not convinced this provides any protective benefit whatsoever
Calm: the only way this would be good is if it was AOE
Hypnotize: useless, annoying prerequisite for Mental Blast
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/22/2016 08:41 PM CDT
>>Piercing Gaze: Clear Vision should see through clouds
>>Tenebrous Sense: this should be a cantrip

Since these have come up a couple of times I thought I'd address them directly.

CV is a fully fleshed out one slot spell. For it to consume PG it would have to go to two slots. I fail to see where the gain is. Further, CV needs to stay one slot since it's an intro spell.

TS is a fully functional outdoorsmanship buff. That's one slot. Seeing in the dark is a bonus we're not charging slots for. Under no circumstances would it become a cantrip.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 09:02 AM CDT
>>CV is a fully fleshed out one slot spell. For it to consume PG it would have to go to two slots. I fail to see where the gain is. Further, CV needs to stay one slot since it's an intro spell.

Can PG be made into a single slot meta spell to add itself to CV? That maintains CV as an intro spell and gives us the other function on a single cast.

Kehlbins
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 09:41 AM CDT

> Can PG be made into a single slot meta spell to add itself to CV? That maintains CV as an intro spell and gives us the other function on a single cast.

What's the benefit? 10 seconds of cast time every 10-40 minutes?

I'd personally vote for new development or fixing something that's broken rather than tuning something that's fine as is.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:05 PM CDT
>>CV is a fully fleshed out one slot spell. For it to consume PG it would have to go to two slots. I fail to see where the gain is. Further, CV needs to stay one slot since it's an intro spell.

Fair enough let's not roll it into CV. Can we at least do something more with this spell? To only have it so i can pierce cloud cover is a travesty and a waste of a potentially cool spell. Have it do something else or add the ability to pierce cloud cover to TS instead. I'm just disappointed that this spell is almost like focus moonbeam for me. It literally serves no other purpose than to give me access to celestial bodies covered by clouds much like FM served no other purpose than to anchor a teleport/gate back when it still cost slots to learn it.

Please give that some thought and maybe we can do something else.

I don't remember and maybe someone can correct me but did the slot costing change when the Locskmithing bonus was removed from PG? Did PG used to cost 2 slots? To me that was a rather substantial change and I'm not entirely sure that for what it does currently, it should cost any slots at all. Just my thoughts.

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:09 PM CDT
<< did the slot costing change when the Locskmithing bonus was removed from PG? Did PG used to cost 2 slots?

Yes and yes.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:17 PM CDT
FM has no intrinsic benefit when cast by itself, so it is a zero-slot spell.

PG has one intrinsic benefit when cast by itself, allowing Moon Mages to negate environmental factors to their astrology systme, so it is a one-slot spell.

You may personally not value PG the same way you value another spell, but that's where we'll likely have to disagree.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:18 PM CDT
>>To only have it so i can pierce cloud cover is a travesty and a waste of a potentially cool spell.

So don't pick it up.

Not every spell is for everybody and at this time I'm perfectly comfortable with the role PG plays in the Moon Mage spellbooks now that Machinist's Touch has been spun off and PG is entirely avoidable in the preq tree.

-Raesh

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:24 PM CDT
>>PG has one intrinsic benefit when cast by itself, allowing Moon Mages to negate environmental factors to their astrology system, so it is a one-slot spell.

It actually still has a few other benefits - Seeing in your servant, inside boxes, etc. Are these limited and niche? Yes. But they exist.

You can also decide not to get the spell and have another Moon Mage cast it on you now. That's possible after the latest revision.

-Raesh

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:24 PM CDT
One thing I'd like to bring up about PG, actually...

What do people, player or GM, think about having Machinist's Touch or Artificer's Eye turned into the Pethian sect affinity spell instead of Piercing Gaze now that PG is a lesser effect than it used to be? My personal preference would be for Artificer's Eye be the sect affinity spell.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:25 PM CDT
I've been musing over sect spell bonuses in the background but I haven't made any major decisions yet. I was unhappy with the first draft of a proposal I put together so maybe we'll revisit in down the road.

-Raesh

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:37 PM CDT
>>So don't pick it up.

>>Not every spell is for everybody and at this time I'm perfectly comfortable with the role PG plays in the Moon Mage spellbooks now that Machinist's Touch has been spun off and PG is entirely avoidable in the preq tree.

Agreed, unfortunately having this particular ability is kind of necessary and cannot be replicated through any other means, maybe one day this will be a spell on more frequently found runestones and save me the need to actually learn it. The possibility of finding another moonmage in Plat to cast this on me when i might need it is too small. I thought it was a valid point to bring up and see if it could be changed. Thanks for listening and replying.

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 08:45 PM CDT
<<unfortunately having this particular ability is kind of necessary

Doesn't a telescope allow cloud cover to be pierced, albeit only by a small amount? Not on the moon mage to check atm.
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 10:19 PM CDT
>>Agreed, unfortunately having this particular ability is kind of necessary and cannot be replicated through any other means,

It sounds like you place a high value on the spell's effect, yet you don't want to invest a relatively small investment (1 slot) into that benefit. That's your choice but it seems to support the argument that the spell is worth a slot as it stands.

-Raesh

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 11:04 PM CDT
Pretty sure that the telescope just allows you a greater chance of success when you have partial cloud cover. If you've got full cloud coverage I don't 'think' it's a viable alternative to PG.

I would like to see PG become a metaspell that just gives you cloud pierce automatically with knowledge of the spell and when you gaze into your shadow servant you see into it. No need to cast.

I want to see this Drogor storyline wrap up like the Malazan books where they break a god and chain him up for unending torture. Intense rainstorms 24/7? Exciting.

Semi-unrelated but I also wish every intro/basic spell would show up on runestone as a chance to drop in the loot system and/or scattered across the various magic shops.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 04/23/2016 11:36 PM CDT
>>It sounds like you place a high value on the spell's effect, yet you don't want to invest a relatively small investment (1 slot) into that benefit. That's your choice but it seems to support the argument that the spell is worth a slot as it stands.

I place high value on the ability to train astrology.

i do value the benefit the spell provides, i just don't think it should come in the form of a spell. i digress, obviously our opinions differ, we can simply leave it at that. thanks again for your viewpoint.

>>GABRIEL4

Thank you for fact checking the PG spell slot change.

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 05/07/2016 07:11 PM CDT
>>I've been musing over sect spell bonuses in the background but I haven't made any major decisions yet. I was unhappy with the first draft of a proposal I put together so maybe we'll revisit in down the road.

This should wait til there is another crystal spell in the book. All the sect titles for monk were made indicating crystal spike, which required clarify gem. It would be nice to have some Crystallomancer themed spells again.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Top and Bottom Spells? 05/07/2016 09:02 PM CDT
<It would be nice to have some Crystallomancer themed spells again.

I agree.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page