Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 04:27 PM CST
Currently we can't release a single focused moonbeam. It would be nice if we could Release Yavash, Katamba, Xibar to release a single focused moonbeam by the moon it's focused from and Release Moons to release all focused moonbeams.

>release help
RELEASE Options:
ALL (default -- releases held mana, cyclic spells, and spell being prepared)
SPELL (releases spell being prepared)
CYCLIC (releases your active cyclic spell)
MANA (releases all held mana)
<#> MANA (releases a specific amount of held mana)
{SPELL} (releases a spell that you've cast on yourself)
SCROLL {SPELL} (releases a scroll you've memorized)
SPECIAL (releases effects from Hollow Eve 2015 Mask.)
CAMBRINTH (releases all active cambrinth links)
GAZE (ends Distant Gaze spell)
LINK (ends a Seer's Sense link to another person)
SERVANT (dismiss your Shadow Servant)
SHADOWLING (dismiss your Shadowling)

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 06:31 PM CST
Just to preempt Raesh's question about return on investment... Why would a moonbeam need to be destroyed and what does releasing one provide above and beyond already being able to destroy a moonbeam by casting the focus moonbeam spell again or shifting it away from a room you don't want it in?
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 06:49 PM CST
>Why would a moonbeam need to be destroyed and what does releasing one provide above and beyond already being able to destroy a moonbeam by casting the focus moonbeam spell again or shifting it away from a room you don't want it in?

Using the 100th circle ability without entering the Astral Plane when you have moonbeams focused from available moons. To maintain full travel utility you have to focus one less beam than you have moons in the sky currently.

Recasting and/or shifting a focused moonbeam doesn't destroy the beam, it just relocates it.

If I can focus a beam I should be able to unfocus/release a beam.

Vote:
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 06:55 PM CST
<<Using the 100th circle ability without entering the Astral Plane when you have moonbeams focused from available moons. To maintain full travel utility you have to focus one less beam than you have moons in the sky currently.

Just to devil's advocate... You can use a set moon to bypass entering the astral plane this way, you don't need one that's in the sky. The only time you would need to destroy one to maintain full travel capability would be if all three moons were up and you had existing moonbeams cast for all 3. And even then you can still destroy one by using an unbend sigil with the worst case scenario being needing to recast the moonbeam so it's at your feet before dropping the sigil.
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 07:15 PM CST
I can appreciate that the forums are slow and you're bored Gabriel4 but do me a favor and explain why you have a moonbeam focused at your feet. If you don't have the moonbeam focused at your feet how does an unbend sigil help you?

Vote:
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 07:36 PM CST
<<If you don't have the moonbeam focused at your feet how does an unbend sigil help you?

Like I said, if you don't have the moonbeam focused at your feet all you have to do is recast the moonbeam which destroys the old one and places the new one at your feet at which point you drop the unbend sigil. It's the worst case scenario only required if all 3 moons are in the sky and you have moonbeams cast for all 3 of them and none of them are at your location. Any time you have less than 3 moonbeams focused there is no restriction on 100th circle ability shortcuts.
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 07:49 PM CST
Maybe I am not following the problem, but can't you just "cast grazhir"?
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 07:55 PM CST
<<Maybe I am not following the problem, but can't you just "cast grazhir"?

That puts you inside the astral plane I believe. The shortcuts using the main triad of moons leave you outside of it and require that you don't have a moonbeam focused for the moon used. Whether the moon is in the sky or not doesn't matter. Useful for quick hops across various barriers without needing to exit the plane if you know where to start from.
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 07:58 PM CST
Recasting a beam is not always feasible, and expecting people to carry around unbends for this purpose is a little much.

I would also like a way to release my moonbeams. I tried recently and I was surprised I couldn't.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 08:05 PM CST
<<Recasting a beam is not always feasible, and expecting people to carry around unbends for this purpose is a little much

The point is asking if the RoI is worth the effort of coding it. The only situation described so far where someone would need to destroy a moonbeam is if they have all 3 moonbeams focused and want to use a teleport shortcut. That is a rather rare situation, and one for which a solution currently exists.

I'm not against such a thing, by the way, in case that's what is coming across. This was always about RoI since Raesh always asks that when people suggest abilities for something we can already do in other ways or don't have an obvious or frequent need.
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 08:09 PM CST
(Which also comes with the caveat that the ability to release moonbeam could be so easy to implement that any RoI discussion is meaningless.)
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 08:11 PM CST
> The only situation described so far where someone would need to destroy a moonbeam is if they have all 3 moonbeams focused and want to use a teleport shortcut. That is a rather rare situation, and one for which a solution currently exists.

Hah, you got me. I fell for that trolling so hard.

Vote:
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 08:22 PM CST
>>The only situation described so far where someone would need to destroy a moonbeam is if they have all 3 moonbeams focused and want to use a teleport shortcut. That is a rather rare situation, and one for which a solution currently exists.
<<Hah, you got me. I fell for that trolling so hard.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Nothing I have said is false. Having 3 moonbeams focused is the only time you cannot use Teleport shortcuts. If there's only 1 or 2 moons in the sky then it doesn't matter which moonbeams you have focused, since you can just shortcut using whichever of the moons that are set. If all three moons are in the sky then just use whichever moon you don't have a focused beam for. If you have all 3 beams focused then this is the only time when the ability to release moonbeam would be needed. This can currently be accomplished by casting focus moonbeam once and dropping an unbend sigil, so all that release moonbeam would do is make this one situation more convenient. The question Raesh is going to ask is whether coding release moonbeam is worth this little bit of extra convenience for a situation that only occurs every once in a while?

Unless you have another situation where you would need to release a moonbeam?
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 11:31 PM CST
Well it was slightly more complex to write than I expected.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/04/2016 11:32 PM CST
Cool!

<<(Which also comes with the caveat that the ability to release moonbeam could be so easy to implement that any RoI discussion is meaningless.)

Guess the caveat was true!
Re: Release command and Focus Moonbeam 03/05/2016 12:02 AM CST
Yay. Thanks Raesh. 5 point teleportation and gates here I come.

Vote: