Prev_page Previous 1
Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 07:24 PM CST
Ah hah! That's the trick to writing the messaging for this spell (Which I've been struggling with). It's not a Fortune's Path style spell, it's a Heritage House spell!

... of course, what the heck does a Heritage House spell look like?

Silly sect based breakfast foods and being generic Moon Mages.

/this random stream of consciousness brought to you by the letters C C M O T C H F P P O G P N O T A S P O T H H C O and K.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 07:34 PM CST
I would envision a Heritage House spell to thematically have something to do with recognizing the harmony of the whole within a bunch of seemingly dissimilar, disparate parts.

Or, you know, pancakes. Delicious pancakes.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 07:55 PM CST
I can, and will, make the spell make you smell like pancakes.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 08:06 PM CST
How about fenugreek instead?

It's the active compound in maple syrup, as well as certain explosives, and celery.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 08:07 PM CST
I'm a big fan of olfactory illusions/hallucinations. They're really under-used.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 08:31 PM CST
Ghostly tracers in your peripheral vision. What kind of ghosts? Turtle ghosts.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 08:38 PM CST
+1 RPA for turtle ghosts.

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 08:49 PM CST
Destiny Cipher sounds like a JRPG or a character on the Matrix 4. In a good way.

I agree with Thayet. Destiny cipher should have some kind of imagery involving bringing disparate parts into an overarching whole.

Vote:
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 09:32 PM CST
http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/french-toast/stuffed-french-toast

Like that?

Or more like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql7uY36-LwA

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 09:47 PM CST
god damn it raesh

Thayet

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 09:48 PM CST
>http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/french-toast/stuffed-french-toast

Ugh, the raspberry stuffed French toast from Bob Evans, before they discontinued it, was my Achilles' heel.

Moonies smelling phantom hints of butter and maple syrup with side visions of over-easy egg yolks running down the sides of full stacks of pancakes would be on point.

...I'm hungry now.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/01/2016 10:29 PM CST
I think the best we've gotten was a vision of a slice of pecan pie with butterscotch topping. But then it was thrown away. :(

- Miskton
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/02/2016 12:05 AM CST
Real thought I just had:

"This spell is feeling more like a psychic project spell than a perception spell..."

(I'm not actually going to change it, I haven't yet writing the messaging to would have backed that up, but it made me laugh given how Read the Ripples and Braun's Conjecture went.)

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/02/2016 12:19 AM CST
>This spell is feeling more like a psychic project spell than a perception spell...

Given your sig I think you should allow DC it's destiny...to be a psychic projection spell. And make sleep the intro psychic projection spell with hypno and calm combined into a single optional metaspell for sleep and make DC a single spell branch with the prereq of any psy project spell in the spellbook. ; )

Vote:
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/02/2016 01:02 AM CST
Just as a little design insight to why I say that about Destiny Cipher possibly being a Psychic Projection spell (And why BC and RTR both changed spellbooks) it's because all three spells were created for mechanical reasons and without strong thematic descriptions, and none of these mechanics really strongly pushed for a particular spellbook. Okay, that's less true of RTR - it was always going to be Perception until it became Stellar, and even so it's still a Perception spell hiding in the Stellar spellbook.

The only real reason the other two were placed in Perception was because I wanted to redefine the Perception spellbook a bit more to emphasis it as sort of the anti-Teleologic spellbook, offering a selection of spells for someone who was really invested in the prediction system who wanted to work in harmony with it instead of bending it to their will as Teleologic Sorcery does.

Further, Destiny Cipher and Braun's Conjecture are mechanically very simple (yet subtle) spells so the bulk of making them feel like they had an identity was coming up with the fantasy to wrap around them.

As I wrote Read the Ripples it didn't change much from the initial concept, it just became clear that it hit the Stellar themes really hard and really belonged in that spellbook even though it doesn't actually do anything that couldn't exist in the Perception spellbook.

For Braun's Conjecture I knew early on that I wanted it to be a very math driven approach to prediction (The name was the first thing I nailed down. In proposals it was just called "Prophet's Insight"). However, I was struggling to write the messaging as a Perception spell so I tried writing it as an Enlightened Geometry spell instead (And grafting on the teleportation stuff) which worked out much better.

For Destiny's Cipher my initial intention was that it was going to be Fortune's Path themed and sort of spin off of Aura Sight and Seer's Sense, but if you look both of those spells have very simple messaging and didn't really give me the jumping off point I needed. So I switched it to more of a Heritage House approach (Based off how it levels the playing field for all sects for all tools) and the messaging started to take a very meditation direction which feels more like Psychic magic than Perception magic. In this case I course corrected slightly to keep it in the realm of Perception.

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/24/2016 07:49 PM CDT
So quick question. This spell is supposed to increase tool bonding chance? I left for 3 weeks during the release of this spell and recently came back, got the spell. I've noticed in the last 3 days of using the spell I've only got 1 bond quality increase on my prism, which is odd because I used to at least get a couple a day. Did anything get tweaked.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/24/2016 08:09 PM CDT
That's likely just the RNG being fickle with you.

Also, bond chance decreases with tool damage so it makes sense that you'd be getting less bonding later in your tool's life. The timeframe you've indicated seems to be relatively short, however, so it shouldn't be that much of a difference but might be something to consider.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/24/2016 08:20 PM CDT
Yeah I figured it might be RNG, I've went a few days without getting an increase before, but I at least usually see 1 or 2. My tool is still in good shape as its a auction, master quality prism. I'm sure RTR and DC are a godsend for bonding tools, since its the only time I've bothered taking up the task.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/25/2016 12:58 PM CDT
During the general preview, I did maybe 40 or so full pool predictions, and got one bond increase. My tool is in bad shape, though. It probably did increase my ability to bond, but I couldn't notice it because it is a rare event. I had maybe one bond increase in the weeks leading up to the preview period, as well. Of course I get damage much more often, because it's a cheap tool. I'm not sure 'how much' the effect really is, or in what way it's applied. Has anyone done any good testing on it?
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/25/2016 01:35 PM CDT
Destiny Cipher should roughly double your chance to bond.

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/25/2016 02:11 PM CDT
Cool. Thank you for the information. Is that at capped potency, or is it a constant? Also, does it make visions comparable to a significantly bonded tool? Is the sect preference removed by setting all tools to the bonused level, or just some baseline? Thanks again for anything you can share.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/25/2016 06:21 PM CDT
<<Is the sect preference removed by setting all tools to the bonused level, or just some baseline?

I believe I can answer this one. If you're not of the appropriate sect for a tool then you have a slight penalty to prediction duration and potency when making a prediction with it. The spell removes that penalty for the duration of the spell effect.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/25/2016 07:30 PM CDT
Potency doesn't matter for BC or DC.

Visions are stronger, but not equal to a capped tool even at the max.

The sect bonus is, technically, a bonus but tomato tomato.

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/26/2016 08:22 PM CDT
Odd still doing horribly on the bonding of my tool, seems I was having better luck before getting DC. It still could just be RNG but I've only got like 2 within the last 5 days, and I've been predicting a lot. I've got like 4 damages to my tool in that time.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/27/2016 12:06 AM CDT
>>Odd still doing horribly on the bonding of my tool, seems I was having better luck before getting DC.

Unless your sample set is far larger than I expect it is you're likely just seeing patterns in random noise.

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/27/2016 10:54 AM CDT
<Unless your sample set is far larger than I expect it is you're likely just seeing patterns in random noise.

Yeah your probably right about that. I haven't really been taking exact counts of bonding / damage per number of predictions. I've probably done somewhere right around 50 in the last week and got 3 bonds, 4 damages. It could be a number of things i'm sure, one being RNG. I just figured I'd post more or less to see if anybody else had feedback.

Does the amount of bonds to your tool make it more and more difficult to successfully bond, or is it just damage done to your tool that's the culprit? My tool itself still seems in pretty good shape due to the quality of it.

You turn your prism about, carefully evaluating the craftsmanship.

The refraction of the prism is comparable to opal.
The prism is very well-balanced.
The interior has several minor inclusions.
The planes of the prism are smooth and unblemished.
The prism is somewhat new.
It appears to have seen heavy use.
The overall craftsmanship is masterful and the prism should prove nearly impervious to damage.

Recognizing the investiture as your own, you cautiously probe the prism with your prophetic talent.

Five vertices are bound to probability.
The barest trace of life resides within the prism.
It has a partially ordered prophetic composition.
It is likely to cause unintentional internal inversion.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/27/2016 11:05 AM CDT
There's a bonus to bonding early in a tool's life just to kick start them, but it fades fairly fast.

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/27/2016 11:10 AM CDT
That's probably what threw me off a bit, since I haven't noticed much of a difference in damage. I've been predicting like a fiend lately, as Kertigen's forge has been out. Keeps a nice steady supply coming in between RTR's. Now if it could just be visible all the time.....
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/27/2016 06:30 PM CDT
<<Now if it could just be visible all the time.....

Between the Forge and Dergati's Eye, the two big constellations are up most of the year thankfully. It's just the first 4 months of the year that the planets are the primary source of observation.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 01:36 PM CDT
Not to try to hijack the thread, but what's a good, relatively commonly available prism to get to work on a good bond? Most of mine start to break down before they're well bonded, like:
sI> ana prism
You turn your prism about, carefully evaluating the craftsmanship.

The refraction of the prism is comparable to quartz.
The prism is fairly well-balanced.
The interior has numerous major inclusions.
The planes of the prism are well-cut.
The prism is somewhat new.
It appears to have seen heavy use.
The overall craftsmanship is very good and the prism should prove resistant to damage.

Recognizing the investiture as your own, you cautiously probe the prism with your prophetic talent.

Three vertices are bound to probability.
The prism is slightly restless.
It has a nearly random prophetic composition.
It is somewhat likely to cause unintentional internal inversion.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 01:49 PM CDT

Best tools generally available are those found in the sect shops. Tips for tool bonding:

1. predict only on full pools
2. Always have aura sight up(+astrology skill)
3. Try to have IOTS with the wisdom/charisma buff(charisma helps tool bonding)

Not sure how far that will get you. Better tools are found during hollow eve and you might be able to find some on trader tables.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 01:57 PM CDT
And with the new spells...

4. Always have Destiny Cipher up.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 03:29 PM CDT
Does Astrology skill or the Aura Sight spell specifically actually increase the chance of a tool increasing its bond? I thought not, but I could be wrong.

Do we know of any factors other than tool construction that reduce the chance of damage to physical qualities? Is this where Astrology skill comes into play?

Is the chance of a critical success or critical fumble constant? If not, what goes into determining the chance of those?
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 03:33 PM CDT
<Not to try to hijack the thread, but what's a good, relatively commonly available prism to get to work on a good bond? Most of mine start to break down before they're well bonded, like:

That by being very good craftsmanship is likely a nomlas prism? That's actually a pretty high quality tool. Your likely not to find anything better for under 5k which is the cost for the one a step up from that from the sect shop. The one you have should be able to be bonded without to much trouble, but you might have just been doing stuff wrong like not prediction on only full pools like was mentioned earlier. It may not be to far gone as to be unbondable, but i'm not 100% on that, it looks to be about 50% damaged.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 03:55 PM CDT

Yep, that's a nomlas prism, mostly but probably not entirely predicted upon with full pools, around 900 astro and 65 charisma. I may just have bad luck, it's my first time actually trying to build a decent bond.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 04:05 PM CDT
>>Does Astrology skill or the Aura Sight spell specifically actually increase the chance of a tool increasing its bond?

It does not.

>>Do we know of any factors other than tool construction that reduce the chance of damage to physical qualities?

There are none.

>>Is the chance of a critical success or critical fumble constant?

Constant.

-Raesh

Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 06:15 PM CDT
>>Is the chance of a critical success or critical fumble constant?

> Constant.

I thought fumbles could only happen on curses, and astro skill increases the chance of turning a curse to a bonus. Or does that check happen after the check for a fumble?
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 06:45 PM CDT
I don't think critical fumbles/successes can be turned. I think there's just a chance that a curse could be a critical fumble and a chance that a bonus could be a critical success, and the inversion calculation either doesn't happen or doesn't apply.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 07:05 PM CDT
I feel like I got a critical success improvement on a curse recently but I might just not have read the message right?

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Destiny Cipher 03/28/2016 07:09 PM CDT
Do you have the log? You might be seeing an inversion which is different from a critical.
Prev_page Previous 1