Braun's Conjecture 02/14/2016 02:24 PM CST
I ended up working on Braun's Conjecture this morning. Mechanically it's really very simple, but it wasn't quite coming together so I ended up revamping the concept somewhat and I'm much happier with it. I'll let Mortom explain:

Mortom adjusts his monocle and says, "Braun's Conjecture?" he snorts, "More like Jon Ilbani's Conjecture. Jares would have given credit where credit's due, but the same cannot be said of his descendant. Regardless, it is a ritual that adjusts the balance of the caster's conscious mind and their innate planar link. In such a state the caster is able to comprehend and calculate the extremely sophisticated formulae of Enlightened Geometry nearly instantaneously. These calculations are most useful when applied to the advanced forms of divination, though they can also be applied to teleportation. Oddly, this innate understanding does not extend to conventional mathematics. Before you can learn this spell, you must know Moongate, and be circle 40. It will also cost two spell slots."

... so, yeah, I'm 0/2 on making Perception rituals that actually end up in the Perception spellbook. At least Destiny Cipher is still slated to be a Perception spell, I swear!

Also Braun's Conjecture isn't finished yet but first... Deadpool. I'm also kind of curious about how you all feel about the change to this spell since it's a bit of a throwback to 2.1 magic design where it's cobbling together several effects for thematic reasons. These include:

Removes the penalty for targetting specific skills with predictions.
Reduces the skill checks for Align Split and Transmogrify
Mildly reduces the difficulty of long range teleport spells (Teleport, MG, RS, Contingency)

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/14/2016 02:56 PM CST
>Removes the penalty for targetting specific skills with predictions.
Reduces the skill checks for Align Split and Transmogrify
Mildly reduces the difficulty of long range teleport spells (Teleport, MG, RS, Contingency)

All 3 of those sound good to me and something helpful to mid level moon mages. How mild is mild? Will it be enough to mitigate Grazhiric interference on the Reshal seafloor at all?

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/14/2016 03:16 PM CST
The revamp sounds good to me. I haven't really done much with Align Split and Transmogrify to speak to them, but maybe a reduced skill check would lead to me making more use of them.

- Miskton
Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/14/2016 03:23 PM CST
I almost never Align split but I use Transmogrify resonably often. Usually when I'm fixing curses. Or trying to not suck at the Duskruin Arena.

Vote:
Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/14/2016 03:25 PM CST
>>All 3 of those sound good to me and something helpful to mid level moon mages.

I admit, it's a spell you will eventually grow out of to some degree (though not entirely and fairly far down the curve). I think I'm okay with that?

>>How mild is mild?

I haven't put the numbers in yet, it should be enough you'll notice it but don't expect miracles.

>>Will it be enough to mitigate Grazhiric interference on the Reshal seafloor at all?

... this brings me to another small project on my plate. I believe I've mentioned the rabbit hole I fell down looking into this the other day. When I install the hooks for Braun's Conjecture I plan to patch up the four teleportation spells to all handle distance calculations and P4 in a uniform and sane way (If you want an idea what this will look like look to Moongate. It's the best of the four as far as the code is concerned and the template I'll be working from.)

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/14/2016 04:35 PM CST
>I admit, it's a spell you will eventually grow out of to some degree (though not entirely and fairly far down the curve). I think I'm okay with that?

Oh for sure. I was defining mid range as 100 to 160th circle which is probably a good chunk of the guild.

Vote:
Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/14/2016 05:30 PM CST
For what it's worth, I probably won't take the spell because I think my skill is high enough to get by without it. Also, while I love Transmogrify, I don't use it that often.

However as a lower level mage I probably would have liked it. Especially since you can pick it up and then drop it at end game so it doesn't mess with your end-game slot plan.

- Navesi
Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/16/2016 10:01 AM CST
>>.. this brings me to another small project on my plate. I believe I've mentioned the rabbit hole I fell down looking into this the other day. When I install the hooks for Braun's Conjecture I plan to patch up the four teleportation spells to all handle distance calculations and P4 in a uniform and sane way (If you want an idea what this will look like look to Moongate. It's the best of the four as far as the code is concerned and the template I'll be working from.)

Uniform and sane is good but please don't make Teleport/RS/Contingency as difficult over distance as Moongate. It's extremely discouraging having those goalposts moved. Especially with the prevalence of Jump Jewelry.
Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/16/2016 10:38 AM CST
>>Uniform and sane is good but please don't make Teleport/RS/Contingency as difficult over distance as Moongate.

My intention is not to make them work right.

In broad terms you'll see RS get easier (P4 only), Teleport get harder (P4 only), and Contingency... well, given that it currently has the skill check occur AFTER it teleports you... yeah, that one is going to be a straight nerf.

-Raesh

Re: Braun's Conjecture 02/19/2016 09:39 PM CST

I love it! But first... Deadpool! :P

Thanks!
Re: Braun's Conjecture 03/26/2016 10:14 PM CDT
So does this spell work with a capped divination tool, as far as the specific predictions go?
Re: Braun's Conjecture 03/27/2016 12:07 AM CDT
>>So does this spell work with a capped divination tool, as far as the specific predictions go?

Yes.

-Raesh