Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/10/2012 05:54 PM CDT
Can someone tell me the best way to train astro at 200 ranks? I've been cycling through a prediction script, and it works, but it's just takes quite a while.

Do tools teach the skill better than standard prediction?
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/10/2012 05:57 PM CDT

I would use an object with multiple predictions (<3 Morleena) and use a tool to predict on a skill that wont hurt too badly if you curse it in each skillset the object gives. Doing this every 3 minutes worked great on its own. I suppose at night between the prediction timer you could study sky/predict event but I never found it all that necessary.
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/10/2012 06:52 PM CDT
Predict analyze. It's your friend. My astro script looks something like this...

loop:

put predict future <self>
put obs <constellation|moon|sun>
pause <roundtime + .5>
put do some other stuff for a few seconds until the predict goes through
put predict analyze
pause <roundtime + .5>
put predict weather
goto loop
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/10/2012 08:13 PM CDT
I am a religious believer of observing a celestial body, aligning for a skill, and then predicting (with a prediction tool) at myself. I love this because it gains you 4-6 mindstates (at the skill level you stated, at least), can easily be worked into any script (including combat!) and allows you to keep Astrology mind locked or near mind lock at all times without requiring you to train it specifically, to the detriment of other things.
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/10/2012 09:27 PM CDT
Using predictions with prediction tools is the fastest with Morleena up.

observe morleena
align lore
toss bones
align magic
toss bones
align survival
toss bones
align weapon
toss bones

PREDICT ANALYZE

However it slows down if Morleena is not available, and even slower if reduced to one pool.

The fastest I've since learned is scribing on a limb.

forage oak limb

repeat this:
observe wolf
scribe limb

Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/10/2012 10:57 PM CDT
I want to second the study yavash/spider, and scribe an oak limb technique. You'll burn through burins as fast as Aleph-One says you will, but it locks much faster than filling pools and predicting, and event prediction.
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/10/2012 11:06 PM CDT

Predicting to train astro has the benefit of also increasing your prediction counter.

On a related note, can we finally get rid of that? We've had astrology forever. The counter should go the way of the dodo and astro should take its place.
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 02:52 AM CDT
>> On a related note, can we finally get rid of that? We've had astrology forever. The counter should go the way of the dodo and astro should take its place.

What's that? How do i check it?
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 03:38 AM CDT
>What's that?

It's a counter for how many predictions you've done. It's used to give some sort of bonus to predicting and used in titles.

>How do i check it?

You can't.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 09:07 AM CDT
>>It's a counter for how many predictions you've done. It's used to give some sort of bonus to predicting and used in titles.

The chance to turn a prediction into a positive one is highly effected by the counter. In general the counter is the best way to control visions. It seems to have less impact on tools but I have no proof on that part.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 09:33 AM CDT
>> On a related note, can we finally get rid of that? We've had astrology forever. The counter should go the way of the dodo and astro should take its place.

I love the prediction counter, please don't do away with it. If anything, I'd like some dangerous and interesting way to get a general gauge on your counter. Like visiting Nera in the Astral Plane and getting some esoteric message you have to decipher. Or maybe something that varies from sect to sect to give some flavor.

-Coralin
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 10:35 AM CDT
>>I love the prediction counter, please don't do away with it. If anything, I'd like some dangerous and interesting way to get a general gauge on your counter. Like visiting Nera in the Astral Plane and getting some esoteric message you have to decipher. Or maybe something that varies from sect to sect to give some flavor.

Problem with this is the sheer size of the counter, believe me were looking at numbers in the thousands. Vague messaging isn't going to help much.

Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 11:22 AM CDT
Swapping the prediction counter for Astrology ranks to me sounds like the most sensible thing.
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 03:15 PM CDT
<<I love the prediction counter, please don't do away with it. If anything, I'd like some dangerous and interesting way to get a general gauge on your counter. Like visiting Nera in the Astral Plane and getting some esoteric message you have to decipher. Or maybe something that varies from sect to sect to give some flavor.

You're never going to find many fans of a system that affects how well they do something but is completely or effectively invisible to them.
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 08:56 PM CDT
I'd have to go back through the code to be 100% sure (Not something I have the time to do right now) but the counter actually influences very little -- I don't believe it's used for tools at all, and even in visions I recall the roll being small. Of course the roll of astrology is also smaller than I'd like... but that's a topic for another day.

Primarily it's used as a title requirement.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/11/2012 09:46 PM CDT

>Primarily it's used as a title requirement.

If this is the case, then I don't have much else against the counter. I was under the impression that even with astrology it was one of the most important aspects for our predictions though.
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/12/2012 12:26 AM CDT

>>If this is the case, then I don't have much else against the counter. I was under the impression that even with astrology it was one of the most important aspects for our predictions though.

As far as I can tell the biggest factors are pool size and the ranks in the skill your predicting on. Tool bonuses help, but thats really about it as far as how predictions work.

Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/12/2012 02:58 AM CDT
Do tool predictions count towards the counter? Or only actual PREDICT predicts?
Re: Astrology Training & Tools Question 04/12/2012 07:43 AM CDT
>Do tool predictions count towards the counter? Or only actual PREDICT predicts?

Was a change a while back to allow tool predictions to count. Used to be they didn't.

Lyzalian Farscribe

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear