Madness 03/31/2018 10:36 AM CDT
I know this would not be an effective use of time development hours for DR, but it would be cool if we had a mechanic for madness for moon mages who spent too much time in the astral plane or who became too tainted with teleologic corruption. Maybe it would be something as minor as losing time by being overcome with madness (kind of like the time lost being a mime or a frog, but obviously not turned into one of these) or maybe even a temporary wisdom debuff. I am not one who likes making moon mages weaker. I just like the concept and I think it fits in with the moon mage theme.
Re: Madness 03/31/2018 11:53 AM CDT
Something like this happens if you visit the run-down manor out the west gate of crossing. It’s a fun thing and I’d love to see more of it.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Madness 03/31/2018 01:06 PM CDT
I never knew about the manor. I will check it out.
Re: Madness 01/29/2019 02:43 PM CST
>>it would be cool if we had a mechanic for madness for moon mages who spent too much time in the astral plane or who became too tainted with teleologic corruption.

I really like this idea. Not sure how it would work but it might be interesting to look at Saesordian Compass for the answer. The madness could come in the form of "catastrophic mood swings and other uncivilized behavior". Perhaps making it so it would change their demeanor as well cause them to randomly spit, curse and insult people in the room with them.

I also think it would be cool if there was a similar system to how it works with Necromancers divine outrage. So after you were at maximum corruption every cast of Teleo Sorcery you perform comes with a chance of an extra planar hit squad hunting you down.

Even a personal visit from the pelag would be really cool flavor. In my opinion teleo sorcery should be dangerous and not something that is just spam cast while hunting.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Madness 01/29/2019 11:49 PM CST
For my part, I think there’s a pretty good balance as it’s set up right now between teleo use and non-use, but I would agree that supreme levels of teleo corruption could probably be more punitive. I would have that effect target efficacy of plane of probability related spells though, not a forced demeanor change in the character.

When it comes to treating a character as “mad,” I think that’s better left to the RP of the players (both the player of the teleo mage, who should know heavy use is probably going to unbalance the char mentally some, and the players of anti-sorcery mages, who probably very often would view casual teleo use as madness on its face).

Just my take though.

Moon Mages are totally Jedi. -Raesh
Re: Madness 01/30/2019 06:36 AM CST
>> I would have that effect target efficacy of plane of probability related spells though, not a forced demeanor change in the character.

I'm just going off of SCO spell description which states the noted mood swings and uncivilized behavior of the people who were using it. Necromancers have a similar system in place when they reach max divine outrage that causes them to mutter etc.

There really needs to be more risk involved for max corruption. It shouldn't be safe to be at the highest levels of corruption just like its not safe to be at max levels of divine outrage.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Madness 01/31/2019 10:28 AM CST
Mockerjb1, after using teleologic sorcery more, I agree. When I originally thought of the idea, I don’t think I had ever cast any teleologic sorcery spells and so I was speaking out of ignorance.
Re: Madness 02/02/2019 03:39 PM CST
For what it's worth, that bit in the description of Saesordian Compass alludes to the immediate, presumable influences of the contacted entities (of rage, envy, etc.) rather than teleologic corruption.

But yes, prolonged sorcerous corruption of any kind isn't going to be conducive to mental health. Mechanics-wise, there's a certain corruption level after which we loosely deem a sorcerer "no longer sane" and a few small messaging changes happen. Off the top of my head, the mixed-mana prep/cast warnings go away, the SCO recast/uncast messages change slightly, and antinomic sorcerers begin to believe their godling is doing their spell preps for them.

GM Grejuva
Re: Madness 02/02/2019 04:04 PM CST
>antinomic sorcerers begin to believe their godling is doing their spell preps for them.

Anyone able to provide an example of this?
Re: Madness 02/03/2019 08:19 AM CST
<<antinomic sorcerers begin to believe their godling is doing their spell preps for them>>

That's awesome. "It wasn't me! It was Bobjikyl!"

Moon Mages are totally Jedi. -Raesh