The astral plane, Greater Concepts, the Arbiter and the Pelag 02/12/2018 08:59 AM CST
So we have been informed that the Arbiter in Darkness is a greater concept bordering on power of being a divine. It is a neutral being with a goal in mind that originated from the Plane of Probability. Its an embodiment of starlight that was originally as lore has it, summoned during an extremely rare astronomical alignment by an ancient nomadic shaman.

We've also been told "When greater forms of extraplanar life make their presence known in the Plane of Abiding, they usually do so by way of "conduits." An individual, object or location already present on the plane is impregnated with the essence of the entity and becomes a limited extension of its own existence."

This leaves me to speculate that the object that was impregnated with essence in the case of the Arbiter was starlight. But could this object be a man? In the story of the Arbiter we are told one of the Shamans was given "Only knowledge, great ancestor. I wish to know the secrets that our tales have forgotten. I want to know the lay of the stars, the beginning and the end." As well as this knowledge this shaman was given the endurance to see the end but this was also seemingly a curse since the shaman cried "I do not want to be like this forever!".

This shaman then fled to "whatever solace his perfect knowledge could find". This tale is obviously important since the Arbiter has recently met with both Tiv and made a pact with the traders guild. Whatever truth can be taken from this tale is anywhere from its totally true, or it is only partly or perhaps all wrong. I submit that this tale is actually fully accurate to what took place. One reason to believe this tale is fully true is that "The manifestation of a greater concept is the stuff of legends, said to require rare stellar alignments or incredible examples of symbolic sympathy".

So if indeed the pelag is the second shaman from the tale he would then be a conduit of probability as the servant of fate or the embodiment of determinism. It is said by some that the pelag is "an entity created wholly within" the plane of probability "while others believe he may have once been a mortal Seer." We also know that the pelag is an "archetypal perfect Seer, with absolute and unerring foresight". This means that "any action he takes is bound up in strands of extreme fatalism, since he already knows what will happen before he does anything".

Think of the pelag as having the midas touch of foresight. Having such perfect foresight removes the illusion of choice and indeed severs an individual from free will. A curse to be sure. And this is why perhaps the pelag is seeking solace in the Astral Plane waiting for the end of the last stars. Also his abhorrence of the children of grazhir is tied to "the Naming Ritual" which directly places us in his realm of solace, encroaching on his only place of solitude.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: The astral plane, Greater Concepts, the Arbiter and the Pelag 03/04/2019 11:16 AM CST
I'm curious if we are going to have more shadow/light creatures available in game and what is planned for the area below Taisgath. I've been thinking lately that it would be interesting and fun if the Astral Plane was given some inhabitants as well as part of the re into.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"