When to start? 01/19/2017 11:18 AM CST
Anyone who's leveled up a moon mage recently and/or have a good grasp on when starting out actually traveling the ways is doable?

I'm leveling up a new moon mage, have a handful of shards memorized and have 360ish concentration but on my maiden voyage got the 'something goes awry!' message and 'asploded instead of entering the astral plane. I guess I'm gun shy (or self explosion shy?) now and wondering what ranks/concentration I should wait for before trying again.
Re: When to start? 01/19/2017 03:00 PM CST
I haven't leveled up recently but:

There's a skillcheck for entering/exiting the Astral Plane.

http://forums.play.net/messages.asp?forum=20&category=24&topic=20&message=2048/messages.asp

You experienced a critical fail on entrance. Using Teleport rather than Moongate is an easier skillcheck so I'd start there.

Entering at a physical Grazhir shard is easier than using the 100th circle ability as well (just in case you're using remote entrance). Using Teleport with the 100th circle ability is easier than using MG with with 100th circle ability.

If you're using Teleport make sure to harness mana to protect your sanity once you enter the AP as any pre-harnessed mana will get used up in the teleport cast. When you exit (if you're using teleport for the exit as well) don't forget to release that harnessed mana just before you teleport or you risk backfire and time to reprep.

Per Raesh:
Navigation is based on astrology, scholarship and attunement.

Recovery from the expanse is mostly luck though it's slightly influenced by stats. (wisdom)

Dodging streams is almost entirely held mana + concentration though stats play a minor role.

Now that I reread that will the new LUCK stat further affect escape from the Grey Expanse?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: When to start? 01/19/2017 04:02 PM CST
By the time I got to 250 ranks in Astrology/Attunement it felt relatively "safe" to get around. This seemed to have gotten easier with the recent increase in concentration too so you can probably do it with lower numbers now. It also seems that certain shards seem to be easier to travel to/from. As an example, getting from the microcosm to Mintais (Throne City) or Dor'na'torna (Raven's Point) may only take 4 rooms to traverse, while getting from the microcosm to Rolagi (Crossing) could take 7.

Astral Travel is not very forgiving when you do make a mistake or are in a hurry, but I feel like being a Moon Mage you have to expect a reasonable chance of death every time you enter the Astral Plane.

I found Attunement to be the largest factor. The more you have, the faster the roundtime for determining which way to go, so the faster you can get through. The new concentration changes made it so you can take longer to get from point to point.

I've always prepared and cast teleport at minimum mana, and harnessed mana as soon as I was inside. Holding 50 streams seemed to protect really well from concentration losses. The Cautious Harnessing feat helps lessen the nerve damage when holding this much mana too, but you're going to get nerve damage while starting out Astral Traveling. Plan accordingly or your nerves might be too damaged to get back.

Navigational accuracy is pretty low early on, so watch the directions you get on PERCEIVE. If the way it tells you to go back doesn't match the direction you came from, you probably want to double-check. What I mean by the last point is if you are at a shard and have moved NORTHEAST once you should expect to see the end of the conduit to the SOUTHWEST (since SW is opposite of NE). If it doesn't match, keep doing PERCEIVE until you get a consistent direction to go.