100th Ability 03/29/2013 12:36 AM CDT
Any way we could get a way to tell which shard we will transport to in the ways? Other than having to enter it itself. I would think our keen power perception skills would allow us to be able to perceive which shard we are closest to.

I was thinking maybe through a PERC/CONC/POW GRAZHIR. Some others I was talking with (I think it was Skaen) said maybe add it to the RECALL HEAVENS GRAZHIR.

Just a suggestion. Maybe then we can finally tell what areas are close to Emalerje (since it seems like everything around it goes to either Taniendar or Mintais).

-Crystal Soul Killashadrea

Don't mess with a "killa".
Re: 100th Ability 03/29/2013 12:56 AM CDT
Keep in mind I recently fixed a bug with Emalerje location.

It's southwest of Taniendar and even further west of Mintais.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure which between Emalerje and Taniendar you'll end up at from the NTR and that sort of area (I'd have to look at the script to figure out which the tiebreaker is when two shards are in different locations but equidistant). I'm fairly sure Knife Clan is an example of somewhere that would dump you at Emalerje. I bet some of the Rakash Village area would get you there too.

(I'm not at home right now, so I can't confirm these measurements, they're just off the top of my head).

As for the ability itself - maybe. I know Armifer had concerns when he wrote that system that finding the nearest shard with perfect accuracy can actually be quite system intensive so I'd have to check out some technical stuff before moving further.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: 100th Ability 04/03/2013 01:18 PM CDT
Wouldn't it just use the same mechanics it uses to actually GO to the shard if you cast teleport/moongate? I am not sure why that would be more resource intensive.
Re: 100th Ability 04/03/2013 01:52 PM CDT
It wouldn't be (I'd almost certainly reuse the code) - but my understanding is that system is resource intensive, so it's a matter of how much more often we'd want that code being called.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: 100th Ability 04/04/2013 10:57 AM CDT
if it doesn't have any exp gain with it, I don't know that it would get used any more often than someone wanting to walk the ways. You could always put in a check that says "you just expended your energy" so people don't spam use it.
Re: 100th Ability 04/04/2013 11:33 AM CDT
Without getting too technical, the problem with the Ways is how bits of the game are loaded and unloaded from memory on demand. This makes the "cost" of calling the Ways vary wildly, from dead average to, at the other extreme, causing the entire game to lag for 11 seconds once.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: 100th Ability 04/07/2013 11:04 AM CDT
>>causing the entire game to lag for 11 seconds once.

Heh. And everyone's worried about the necros breaking the world.