Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 01:32 AM CDT
I was speaking to the quest NPC, and they told me:
"While I appreciate your enthusiasm, you do not have the knowledge to make use of what you'd learn. You must gain more experience traveling in three dimensions before we add a few more."

I assume that this is because while magic is on preview, I'm not flagged as actually "knowing" a required spell. I believe I meet all of the other requirements. Is there going to be a way for us to begin this quest before Magic Preview ends, or will we just have to wait until it's over? I'm really hoping that the quest can be easily modified to accept people like me in some way.
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 11:05 AM CDT
Hmm. Let me think on a solution for this.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 12:41 PM CDT
Yeah, I have the same problem. If the preview is close to over, I can wait, but if it's a "mmmm.... we're going to wait until the balance / bug issues are fixed and THEN give it a couple weeks notice before we turn it off," then a quick patch (is that is even possible) would be helpful.

Would it be possible to allow us to spend slots learning spells, but still have the rest on preview until the preview is over? I could see how there's worry that some people might accidentally shoot themselves in the foot, but... well, I know I'm going to definitely be spending slots through to Shadow Servant (too lazy to actually WALK to a vault - Utility for the win!), and I'd be fine blowing through those now.
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 12:50 PM CDT
Wait, shadow servant? What spells does it think you need?

It sounds like it might not have been updated for 3.0 - which would be a totally separate issue.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 12:57 PM CDT
>>Wait, shadow servant? What spells does it think you need?

I think he meant that in tangent. Right now if you have the skill, you can case Shadow Servant. If you don't get it after preview, you don't have access to the items anymore (until you learn it).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 01:00 PM CDT
>>Wait, shadow servant? What spells does it think you need?

Meh. Bunches of them. I've got most of the techniques and still a number of slots open, and in order to get to shadow servant (if the 'pedia is right as far as prereqs) I'd end up picking up moongate along the way. And shadowling, for when I'm actually sitting down training magics (heh. Aug and Ward are so going to be my worst magics).

Also.... I'm a packrat, and (like I said) too lazy to walk to a vault.

>>It sounds like it might not have been updated for 3.0 - which would be a totally separate issue.

FWIW, I had a pre-3.0 astral guide from the quest (it's been like three months before I found someone to gate me to Asharshpar'i. S'kra's don't like to dance, apparently), and it worked fine. It was stupid operator error that screwed me. totally my own fault. I just... messed up. And now I can't get a new one.
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 01:04 PM CDT
Oh, that would make more sense.

-Raesh

Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 01:53 PM CDT
>it's been like three months before I found someone to gate me to Asharshpar'i. S'kra's don't like to dance, apparently

It's not that they don't like to dance. It's that dance gives you large chunks of RT that total 3 minutes (if I remember the rt correctly) at melee in germish'din. Although WD makes that a little safer now it's usually much easier to walk in and open from the inside.
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 03/11/2013 02:03 PM CDT
>>large chunks of RT that total 3 minutes (if I remember the rt correctly) at melee in germish'din

Oh, totally! That's understandable - I wasn't complaining at all about it! That's why I always looked for other moonies first, and then willing S'kra second. The "not liking to dance" bit was just a little tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't want to dance around germish'din either, unless I was way higher up the food chain myself. They're scary!
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 11/02/2013 11:52 PM CDT
Does anyone know if this got fixed? I'm in TF, so trying to do this quest is going to be a nightmare. As in I may well have to create a mule and run him/her up enough to survive the dance. So I really don't want to put in the energy unless I know I can complete it if I get into the manor. I mean it would be fantastic to be able to get around by the shards, but not if I have to pay RL cash and train up another character and ... to just have it all come to naught because of the spell preview.

(And I don't know if I have the patience to run a second character up high enough to stand for 3 minutes with those things. Yow!)

Thanks!

Mooch
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 11/03/2013 12:30 AM CDT
I assisted someone with it in prime last week and everything was fine.
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 11/03/2013 12:45 AM CDT
Cool, thanks!

Although another question, if you do the 100th circle quest and can get to the astral plane, can you get back out if you haven't done the ways quest? 100th circle is a lot easier to achieve than finding either a S'kra who can survive the dance or a moon mage who's done the quest in TF.

Mooch
Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 11/03/2013 01:51 AM CDT
The 100th circle quest doesn't take you to the astral plane.

-Raesh

Re: Magic Preview and Astral Quest 11/03/2013 01:25 AM CST
More I was thinking if I gated to Grazhir, what would then happen? Would I be unable to get out? PAFO I suppose. But as long as I can still do the 100th circle quest, I suppose it's all good.

Thanks for the reassurance I can do the 100th circle quest. I really want to win this contest.

Mooch