Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 11:02 AM CDT
So I've been hanging out at Besoge until I was able to learn it (which happened today) and I thought I'd share my experience. Every attempt was made with a capped Seers/CV/PG and a 46 mana AUS.

To start my stats:
Circle 71
Int - 46
Disc - 46
Wis - 45
Arcana - 458
Astro - 325
Scholarship - 326

I started just trying to study it for 10 minutes continuously (which worked on some of the other "hard" shards). No go, so then I tried 10 minutes of studying with 80+ rank CJs for Arcana/Astro/Scholarship. Still nothing.

I spent a few days on Mer'kresh training and filling my Magic prediction pool, went back with a positive Arcana prediction and the CJs - still nothing.

Tried again with an full pool Astro prediction + CJs. Still nothing

Finally was able to learn it with a full pool Scholarship prediction (Elanthipedia says my bones gave me a >80 rank boost) plus the CJs. The reason I decided to post about it was that I learned it on the first try. Right out the gate, no problems at all. Makes me think scholarship might actually be the most important skill for success rate in studying a shard while Astro/Arcana just determines if it's possible at all.

Just thought I'd share.
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 05:16 PM CDT
I managed to get some info on Besoge from a few mages as they learned it. Importantly, one of them got it finally after boosting PP, and the other got it after boosting Astro. So all three skills are definitely important -- though I wouldn't rule out Arcana in addition.

Here were their skills. I've bolded the thing which tipped them over the edge.

Mage 1
Arcana 412 + [120-150 prediction]
PP 498 + capped AUS + DG + [30-60 prediction]
Astro 380 + capped AUS + [60-90 prediction]
Scholar 369 + capped Faenella's Grace + [60-90 prediction]

Mage 2
Arcana 590
PP 628 + capped AUS + DG + [30-60 prediction]
Astro 320 + [presumed capped AUS] + [30-60 prediction]
Scholar 417 + capped Faenella's Grace

I think capped FAE gives roughly +90. Not sure about capped AUS.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 08:39 PM CDT
Another data point - I wasn't able to learn Besoge with 405 astro, 518 arcana, 505 scholarship, 539 pp.
After casting a 40 mana AUS, and a min cast dg I was able to learn it today on the first try.

skaen
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 09:57 PM CDT
Huh.

Couldn't learn it with 426 Astro, 558 Arcana, 412 Scholarship. No buffs.

Suppose I could try again, I've gone up about 30 ranks in all those.

Lyzalian Farscribe

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 10:24 PM CDT
Besoge is still a nogo at 60 Int/Wis, 58 Dis, 613 PP, 591 Arcana, 460 Astrology, 443 Scholarship unbuffed.

Lyzalian Farscribe

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 10:26 PM CDT
>>Couldn't learn it with 426 Astro, 558 Arcana, 412 Scholarship. No buffs.

Don't forget that, based on my post, PP is also important.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 10:38 PM CDT
>>Don't forget that, based on my post, PP is also important.

It is not. You were likely seeing noise in the data that happened to align to having a PP boost.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 10:39 PM CDT
>>Besoge is still a nogo at 60 Int/Wis, 58 Dis, 613 PP, 591 Arcana, 460 Astrology, 443 Scholarship unbuffed.

I'd be very interested to see what you get if you buffed them one at a time. I know you have the Arcana based on Mage 2 from my report, so try the others. Keep in mind there is a random factor too.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 10:40 PM CDT
>>It is not. You were likely seeing noise in the data that happened to align to having a PP boost.

Oh great, thanks for clarifying.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 10:42 PM CDT
<<Another data point - I wasn't able to learn Besoge with 405 astro, 518 arcana, 505 scholarship, 539 pp.
After casting a 40 mana AUS, and a min cast dg I was able to learn it today on the first try.>>

Realized I left out the experienced practicioner astro cj I used as well.

skaen
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 10:47 PM CDT
I think the thing that is most important is the scholarship. I have better stats than Skaen in all but scholarship. I lack 100 ranks in scholarship from Skaen. I've tried a full pool prediction on astro and arcana all with no luck. I have never tried studying it with a full pool prediction on scholarship. I will try tomorrow!

Dierik

I'm SO tired of hearing "it's not fair" in regards to everything in this game people aren't good at or can't figure out how to combat. You'd think this was the 90's and we were all still 12 years old.

Uhhhh, that would have been 1970 for me.
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/09/2012 11:17 PM CDT
Astro is the most important factor, by a fairly large margin.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/10/2012 04:57 AM CDT
>Keep in mind there is a random factor too.

I try at least 9 times per go. (Usually fit in 3 attempts per study cycle, and at least 3 study cycles)

Lyzalian Farscribe

Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/10/2012 07:33 AM CDT
>>Astro is the most important factor, by a fairly large margin.

Is there a base minimum for all skills for success though? When I tried to learn it I did the Arcana/Scholarship/Astro CJs + Full Pool Astro prediction first and got no where. Changing the Full Pool prediction to Scholarship got it learned for me right away.

Just makes me think Scholarship was what was holding me back. Both are around 325 as well, with Astro being a few ranks higher. Maybe I just got lucky?
Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/14/2012 03:37 PM CDT
>Besoge is still a nogo at 60 Int/Wis, 58 Dis, 613 PP, 591 Arcana, 460 Astrology, 443 Scholarship unbuffed.

Besoge memorized on second try with no buffs at:
60 Int/Wis, 58 Dis
624 PP
602 Arcana
471 Astro
452 Scholar

Lyzalian Farscribe

Re: Random Notes for learning Shards 09/22/2012 08:59 AM CDT
>>Astro is the most important factor, by a fairly large margin.

Late post, but any chance you would post the skills my importance Raesh? i.e. Astro > Scholarship > Arcana (or whatever it happens to be).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh