New Shards? 06/27/2012 11:37 AM CDT
There was some interest in the meeting for some new shards, specifically Fang Cove and Hara. While this is something I'm willing to entertain, realize that the the system is limited in how many shards we can (easily) have and we're fairly close to that limit. What that means is that I'm going to be fairly conservative in expanding the system. Further, even if I agree that expansion is a good idea there are several other GMs I would need to get to sign off on it as well.

So before we go any further down this road I'd like to know if there are any other locations people would like to see shards currently, and why they would find those shards useful. Bonus points if you can include lore reasons for a location.

My gut feeling is that Fang Cove meets all the criteria (Useful, solid lore reasons, doesn't have any other shards nearby) but I'm not sold on Hara.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 12:37 PM CDT
Just an admittedly poorly informed voice here; Fang Cove is a premie only area? I do not want to see a shard created for ease of access to a premie only area.
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 12:42 PM CDT
>>Just an admittedly poorly informed voice here; Fang Cove is a premie only area?

Not all of it, but a good portion.

>>I do not want to see a shard created for ease of access to a premie only area.

And for what it's worth. There is no shard I would like to see more then Fang cove ATM. I am ofcourse Premie and Biased
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 12:43 PM CDT
Ditto what Jhalia's said.

IIRC Fang Cove is premie only and already exists premie portals for easy access there.

Hara, on the other hand, the nearest shards are Besoge and Erekinzil, both with like 20 minute boat travel excluding wait time.

Hara is by far the hardest place for anyone in the game to reach to unless someone's shooting up.. celpz? Not that I've been there much aside from getting tattoos.

I suppose the location itself may not have specific lore history with Moon Mages, but then again, much of Grazhir shards are scattered across the ocean. It could have the same reason for being there as Tabelrem and Ashushpari; someone else discovered its significance and stole it and house it on the island, and maybe some in game vent someone recovers it and performs the naming ritual and decide for whatever reason that it is best to keep it on that island.
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 12:52 PM CDT
>>Fang Cove is premie only and already exists premie portals for easy access there.

Fang Cove is premie only, but there are no perm portals there. You can sail there, take a mammoth, or once a week use an activated Estate Holder ring. If a shard was placed there I imagine it'd be like the Fang Cove docks are now, a 1-2 room non premie area surrounded by premie land.

As for Hara, I understand there's a little travel involved but I still don't get why people want to go there specifically.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 12:57 PM CDT
>>Not all of [Fang Cove is premium], but a good portion.

Pretty much all of Fang Cove is premium. There are like two non-premium rooms at the dock, I believe.

>>IIRC Fang Cove is premie only and already exists premie portals for easy access there.

The portals to Fang Cove aren't going to provide 24/7 access forever. IIRC, once the area is more fleshed out and can provide more basic town services (vault, some crafting stations, etc), the portals will be taken down.

>>I do not want to see a shard created for ease of access to a premie only area.

I'm not sure what is necessarily bad about a shard being made for access to a notably sized premium area. If this was about one hunting zone, I'd agree with you, but it sounds like Fang Cove has aspirations to become rather robust.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 01:15 PM CDT
This was one of my questions from the meeting, and it was mostly about getting a shard on Hara. Fang Cove was more like "um.. I guess Fang Cove doesn't have one either."

A lot of people seem to want a shard on Hara.

>nib eiy arm
You raise your arm up to your face and nibble on it.
>rub my left arm
Your left arm seems to be missing.
>lick eiy
You lick your lips.
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 01:25 PM CDT
I suppose to be fair, we wouldn't have a GM's perspective of what Fang Cover will become and could wait until it is fleshed out before choosing a shard among the two places?

Currently Hara is inconvenient to access unless someone happens to be hunting there, but its true I suppose there's no real urgency of demand for a shard to be there because most deaders would be on Ratha/Taisgath (safe), M'riss (within Taisgath range, has its own small pop), both have their own shards, both are their own hubs.

Hara being the oddman out that few want to hunt there, and if they do, they don't need others to come visit unless they were dead, and if they were dead you can just shift a beam there from either of the other two hubs.

Although, conceptually the islands may feel less spread out if moonies can always easily send people between the islands and leave no pockets, but moonie being dominant in offering travel services may not necessary remain a design philosophy in 3.0 considering that post Solomon made asking us about it.
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 01:32 PM CDT
>>I suppose to be fair, we wouldn't have a GM's perspective of what Fang Cover will become and could wait until it is fleshed out

I'm pretty sure Fang Cove is projected to become a full fledged location offering general town services, traveling merchants, a robust critter tree, ways to train survivals, and a hub for Premium-oriented storylines.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 01:42 PM CDT
I don't believe anyone was asked to choose between several locations. Only to provide where they would like a shard, why and perhaps some lore tie ins.

Less focus on where NOT to put a shard, and more on where and why would likely be more helpful. Just my thoughts.

Thanks
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 02:00 PM CDT
If a shard is placed on Fang Cove I'd prefer to see it put in a spot accessible to both premium and non premium players. (I am a premium player)

I like seeing shards in remote areas (Hara and FC for example) because I'm much more likely to utilize an area or travel to an event if its not a 1/2 hour to multiple hour trip there and back. Also it's frustrating when you die without any way for someone to get help to you for a day or two.

Construction events are also pretty fun if a building is needed to house the shards because later on you can pass by and pat yourself on the back for what a great builder you are.

skaen
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 02:18 PM CDT
>I'm not sure what is necessarily bad about a shard being made for access to a notably sized premium area. If this was about one hunting zone, I'd agree with you, but it sounds like Fang Cove has aspirations to become rather robust.

This has nothing to do with 'what content is available at Fang Cove' and everything to do with 'Fang Cove being basically premie only'. I don't care if Fang Cove gets expanded upon to the point that there's no reason to ever go anywhere else (Full critter ladder for circle 1-150! entire range of services, crafting, mining, auto-puffs and all guilds! massages from not one, but TWO gorgeous individuals of your racial preference every night!), if it's only available to Premies, then taking up the GM stated limited number of Astral Shard waypoints with said location seems incredibly, unbelievably, mind bogglingly unreasonable to the rest of us, considering premie portals already exist to a variety of places already. You want to increase ease of access to your premie area? Then put a premie portal anywhere in the realms. Don't potentially nerf our future options.
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 02:44 PM CDT
>>if it's only available to Premies, then taking up the GM stated limited number of Astral Shard waypoints with said location seems incredibly, unbelievably, mind bogglingly unreasonable to the rest of us

It wouldn't surprise me if the route is open to everyone, but it would be like the Fang Cove docks, where not everyone could really go beyond that point.

It also makes it more attractive to be Premium. Other than Hara, it's not like anyone has really raised any areas that are in need of a shard.

>>Don't potentially nerf our future options.

Just because you can't personally use something doesn't mean it is a nerf. It means you can't personally use it.

Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 03:45 PM CDT
Raesh just stated that there were limited shards available. This means a shards for premium members only is stepping on what might be available to us in the future.
Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 04:37 PM CDT
>>Raesh just stated that there were limited shards available. This means a shards for premium members only is stepping on what might be available to us in the future.

Just because you wouldn't have much use for a shard that would grant easier access to an area you can't personally take advantage of doesn't mean it's a nerf, or bad for the guild, or a misallocation of game resources, etc.

That said, you'd most likely be able to use the FC Shard if you really wanted to.

"If a shard was placed there I imagine it'd be like the Fang Cove docks are now, a 1-2 room non premie area surrounded by premie land." -Raesh

Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 09:00 PM CDT
I'm not talking about a hard limit on shards, I'm talking about "After a few more shards the system needs some revision whereas the next couple are plug and play."

Also more "I want a Shard here" less "Don't put a Shard there!" since right now what I'm getting out of this thread is:

There is interest in a Fang Cove shard. Some people wouldn't use it.

There is no interest in a shard anywhere else.

-Raesh

Re: New Shards? 06/27/2012 10:32 PM CDT
Pretty sure the reason most people don't go to Hara other then necros is because its in BFE and no one wants to wait to get there. Hara would be a nice shard and utilized a fair bit.
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 01:56 AM CDT
For the record, I'd like a shard on Hara. There's some nice hunting there that I pretty much never consider at the moment.

I'm indifferent about a shard in Fang Cove. Even a non-premie moon mage could use it to transport people and create astral guides leading there -- but for me it's not an area of great interest.

I know I've mentioned in the past the one other area I can think of that's "remote": Ain Ghazal. But it's only a ferry ride, so not really a huge deal. I'd use it though.

I suppose Rossman's Landing might be another candidate, though I don't know much about that area.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 02:00 AM CDT
<<There is interest in a Fang Cove shard. Some people wouldn't use it.>>

<<There is no interest in a shard anywhere else.>>

Argh, no. Fang Cove is accessible already, far more than Hara. I got a premie ring that ports me there regularly too now I think? Once a month? I'm not sure because I don't care to go to Fang enough to check yet. I don't think Fang Cove is near as developed as Hara, in terms of hunting or lore. It has no mudwrestling pit!

Hara is awesome and I am absolutely sure you can think up a lore reason why the moon mage guild would set up a shard on the pirate isle. Little heat from the Inquisition and Hounds pressing on sorcery and Taramaine wants a spot with free reign and closed borders? Tough to beat. Missing Kalestraum bad guys spotted on pirate isle and deal cut with pirates? Orichalcum source found off shore? Kresh Manor Mage just flat tired of the traffic? Pirate Baron (forgot his name? Vorquel or something?) dies and leaves powerful MM son running things?

More shards the better I say, and I can't think of anywhere else I'd like shards other than Fang and Hara. But between those two, it's Hara hands down for me.
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 02:01 AM CDT
Sorry for double post, but have to correct it after Eyuve and say an Ain shard would also be really, really awesome. That place is amazing too.
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 02:15 AM CDT
The thief in me would object to Ain getting a shard. The place being a neutral negotiations ground and heavily run by the sisters prolly means they woulnd't look too kindly to moon mages frequenting it via shards either.
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 07:23 AM CDT
I'd like to see both Hara and Fang Cove get a shard.

Lore reason: Both are in the Reshal sea, said to be the repository of "axis", the main part of the impact that grazhir had with elanthia.

Don't have a leg in this, none of my MMs have done the "ways" quest yet. But when they're ready, I fully intend to take them on it.

By the way, speaking of this - Does the NPC that is supposed to give the quest functioning platside? Or does he just not talk to you about it if you aren't high enough circle?

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 09:32 AM CDT
>>Argh, no. Fang Cove is accessible already, far more than Hara.

24/7 portal access is temporary.

>>I got a premie ring that ports me there regularly too now I think?

Which is one-way unless you use it again in like 15-30 minutes (or something like that, right?). And, it only works something like once a month.

>>I don't think Fang Cove is near as developed as Hara, in terms of hunting or lore.

You'd be rather surprised!

Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 03:23 PM CDT
>>There is interest in a Fang Cove shard. Some people wouldn't use it.

>>There is no interest in a shard anywhere else.

Saywhat??

I brought this up at the meeting primarily because of Hara'jaal, and a lot of people in the room whispered support for having a shard there. Fang Cove was an afterthought. If it was a one or the other kind of situation, I think Hara'jaal would definitely win a poll.

I don't personally care either way about Fang Cove, but I could see it being useful for some people. Ain Ghazal is something I'd support if you guys are feeling generous. But again, Hara is why we're talking about this.

>nib eiy arm
You raise your arm up to your face and nibble on it.
>rub my left arm
Your left arm seems to be missing.
>lick eiy
You lick your lips.
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 07:55 PM CDT
>>As for Hara, I understand there's a little travel involved but I still don't get why people want to go there specifically.

Hunting. Heggarangi boars, seordmaors and polo'izh. Probably a few others, not sure how the piranhas are or some of the other creatures. But bottom line is its an alternative to some of the other areas (black apes, celps) and shouldn't be so hard to get to that most people won't even bother with them.

As far as only having a few more shards to hook up with ease, there's no reason you can't move some later if you decide to. "Moon Mage guild decided this isn't safe here anymore, moving it over here."
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 07:56 PM CDT
Please put a shard on Hara'jaal.
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 08:21 PM CDT
Here's your lore reason for it, too: It washes up on shore. Bam. Done. Lets all go hang out in polos and make Pariah's life a little better.
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 08:49 PM CDT
Aren't moradu still disabled? At one point they were only enabled in TF. If so then maybe reactivating them could be part of the event.

Kaxis

>You tap a hooded huckleberry hound-pelt cloak that you are wearing.
Re: New Shards? 06/28/2012 09:44 PM CDT
>>Here's your lore reason for it, too: It washes up on shore. Bam. Done. Lets all go hang out in polos and make Pariah's life a little better.

Griefer :(

If people start making my polo spawn worse than it already is I will take drastic zombie measures.
Re: New Shards? 07/12/2012 12:55 PM CDT

I think the fact that hara'jaal is so out of the way to most people is the perfect reason to put a shard there.

I know that for the most part it would've helped me a few times to have a shard out there.

I've always seen moon mages as travelers, the edges of the world where few travel carry the footprints of many moon mages passing through. While some aspects of sects prefer the bustling cities and politics there are 4 that have roots in traveling the fringes of the world and at least 2 of which have a preference in isolated or desolate places.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.