Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 01:02 AM CST
"Wisdom increases the speed at which your experience turns into real ranks and increases magical spell damage. It contributes to offensive Mind, Magic, and Spirit contests and defensive Will contests, among other things.
Use INFO to view all your statistics at once. "

I went into the test instance and re-specced my stats down to base. I trained INT to 50, Disc to 99. I then cast a series of fully targeted capped partial displacements at a target. My Damage range was 11% Vit to 6% Vit with an average damage of 8% vitality damage. I did this again at 50, 70 and 99 wisdom. The range and average stayed the same.

Wisdom has no affect at all on the damage dealt by Partial Displacement. I suspect it may not be the only spell. Might even be the source of the damage issues with MM spells that have been noted.

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 08:21 AM CST
Man, I hope that's the issue and you found the problem.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 08:23 AM CST
>>I went into the test instance and re-specced my stats down to base.

The test instance has probably (almost certainly) not been kept updated since the 3.0 release.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 12:47 PM CST

>> The test instance has probably (almost certainly) not been kept updated since the 3.0 release.

Socharis added int/wis to TM damage in the test instance the night before 3.0 went live. I wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 12:49 PM CST
>> I went into the test instance and re-specced my stats down to base.

Also, why aren't you testing prime? Pretty sure respec is still on here.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 01:02 PM CST
>>Socharis added int/wis to TM damage in the test instance the night before 3.0 went live. I wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong.

Alright, I'll take a look this evening.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 03:06 PM CST
While I did not find a bug in Test, I did find that mental stats were not having an impact on the live versions. I dunno what to tell you about Test's performance at the moment, but the live games should be fixed.

Thanks for the heads up.

-Armifer
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 04:10 PM CST
>> While I did not find a bug in Test, I did find that mental stats were not having an impact on the live versions. I dunno what to tell you about Test's performance at the moment, but the live games should be fixed.

>> Thanks for the heads up.

Very nice. Thanks for looking.

Any chance you took at look at Discipline for TM to-hit? That was switched from agility around the same time I believe.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 04:11 PM CST
The fix should've covered Discipline's to-hit function as well. Should've. Probably.

-Armifer
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 04:16 PM CST
"Also, why aren't you testing prime? Pretty sure respec is still on here."

Because I can respec as many times as I want int test, and isolate skills that I can raise incrementally. I went to test to see if it was worth respecing to raise my wisdom.
What is confusing the crap out of me is Armifer said there was no bug in test, but 10 wis to 99 wis didn't make the slightest difference in damage I was dealing. I'm glad it got a bug fixed in prime though.

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 04:18 PM CST
Awesome Serc, thanks for checking it out and raising it as a possibility, and thanks for looking into it Armifer.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 04:23 PM CST
>Because I can respec as many times as I want int test

You can respec as many times as you want in Prime, too.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 04:25 PM CST
"You can respec as many times as you want in Prime, too."

Hrm. Somehow I thought prime was only allowing 2. Maybe I got bad information.

-Serc

Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 04:31 PM CST
I just did it three times in a row to test. So it works at least three times in Prime.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 04:43 PM CST
Okay. I'll redo my experiment tonight in prime.

Well, I'll redo it if I do a series of casts on my same target and come up with an average other than 8% vitality damage.

-Serc

Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 05:02 PM CST

>> I just did it three times in a row to test. So it works at least three times in Prime.

Yeah that's what I thought.

Also, thanks for testing this Serc.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 07:39 PM CST
>Hrm. Somehow I thought prime was only allowing 2. Maybe I got bad information.

Initial discussion was 'two times would be enough for anyone'.

Subsequent implimentation has been 'uh, we're going to be tweaking stuff for a while. Don't abuse it and we will keep it live for infinity, but don't abuse it, seriously'.

Pants.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 09:02 PM CST
I guess then that I'd like to know that this kind of testing wouldn't be considered abuse.

-Serc

Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/09/2013 09:21 PM CST
>> I guess then that I'd like to know that this kind of testing wouldn't be considered abuse.

It's not... A lot of us have done testing for SvS contests etc.

Here's an example of a potential abuse case would be if someone every hour respecced wisdom to 0 and physicals to 99 and got all exp to 34/34 then respeced to wisdom when out of combat.

Testing whether TM is working or not would clearly not be abuse.
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/10/2013 01:18 AM CST
Okay. Tonight I did the first set with 61 Wis. Average damage was 7%. Second set was with 10 Wis. Average damage was 7%. Decided not to do a 3rd set. if 10 to 61 makes no noticeable difference in damage, I don't see any reason to continue.

A surprising difference from the Test instance test to the Prime test was the accuracy of PD. In test no casts were fully defended against. In prime a fair portion of the casts were fully defended against. I had 99 disc in both instances. PD is significantly less accurate in prime than it is test.

Would be cool if someone wanted to test and see if they replicate my results. I chose someone who's vitality I don't blast through because I was looking to measure the change in damage rather than damage it's self. As long as I was doing some I was comfortable that I would be able to measure the effect of training wisdom.

-Serc

Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/10/2013 09:30 AM CDT
>>I guess then that I'd like to know that this kind of testing wouldn't be considered abuse.

I think they meant more: I'm going into combat, respec for a combat build. Now I'm crafting, respec for a crafting build. Now I'm PVPing respec for a PvP build. type abuse.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/10/2013 09:57 AM CDT
At this point I'm probably going to need to defer this to Socharis, who did the original work on the system. As far as I can tell stat mods are now being applied, and if they aren't it's even deeper into some very tricky sections of combat than I dove into.

-Armifer
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 03/14/2013 12:29 AM CDT
I can feel your pain here somewhat - IF is currently not influenced by stats at all. It stings.

Hope it gets fixed.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Wisdom Does Nothing For Damage 06/28/2013 07:25 PM CDT

Any news on this?