DO and TKT 09/19/2008 04:55 PM CDT
I started my moon mage fresh upon returning after a long 6 year break from DR. As I worked my mage up in levels I attained spells in a rather haphazard fashion. Now that I'm older and wiser I'm debating removing certain spells.

My moon mage is anything but combat-oriented. I certainly enjoy my hunting and want to be able to hold my own in combat, but my main focus is other more magey aspirations like enchanting and the likes.

One of these spells I'm debating removing is DO. I got it mainly to work Targeted Magic and since when I was originally playing 6 years ago TKT was notoriously annoying in a cluttered room. As it stands I have Burn, TKT, DO, and SLS. I feel that's a bit much in combat magic, however when I hunt I like to use targeted spells and want some consistency.

My question now is should I remove DO and rely solely on TKT as my main hunting spell for all instances (moonless days), or is it better to retin DO as my main hunting spell since I prefer to hunt from range? What's your experiences in the matter?

Oban Mestofolles
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:00 PM CDT
Drop DO. Look to pick up PD or CrS as your bread and butter.

You can't drop burn/TKT/SLS because of SLS. SLS is the third of our T4 TM spells, and thus should be on par with CrS or PD for training, but from everything I've heard... it's not. Aside from the fact it can only be used half the time. It's a support spell, not a backbone of your training.

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:08 PM CDT
I think dropping DO is a mistake, personally, because there are situations where you can't use TKT/burn/SLS. If you train weapons as backup, this might not bother you, but I don't like being in that situation.
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:33 PM CDT
Ouch, SLS.

I would say don't drop DO until you can get PD or CRS. It's a pity you have SLS, really. It's way too nichey IMO. :\

Rev. Reene

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- 'No, you move.'"
- Captain America
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:34 PM CDT
The real pity is that you can't unlearn SLS. SLS has a nice niche that everyone eventually outgrows.
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:39 PM CDT
That was my implication DO --> PD or CrS

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:41 PM CDT
I know, I weep when I see SLS in my spellbook. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but in the long run not so much. I'll probably wind up getting CrS as I slowly progress and eventually dump DO. The gods be willing maybe I'll have an opportunity to unlearn SLS someday and dump TKT along the way as well. I figure Burn will be useful for Moonblade.

Oban Mestofolles
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:49 PM CDT
I actually... kinda want SLS. I dunno why.

Never mind that I'm not sure when I'd use it given my play style, AND currently lack TKT.

But it's WAY down my list, and my list at this point is already getting to the "Uh... well... ::throws dart::" point. Honestly I get a spell next circle, and I haven't decided what to spend it on yet. SoD maybe? I guess PSY is wearing a little thin on training... but not really. Shear is solid I guess, but doesn't fit my play style too well. The next TS spell is who knows how far out... PD? I suppose having a true TM spell (aside from EB) is likely a good idea, but CrS/Burn really does get the job done the vast majority of the time.

I mean that leaves TS, TKT, TKS, SLS, SHMO, Ripple, Darkness, DO, RF, TV, Web... all of which don't interest me much either. MaF when barriers stack?

Never mind that Riftal Summons, Sever Thread, and Whole Displacement are dead spells in my spellbook right now - Fun and flavorful but very very nichy

Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:50 PM CDT
>The gods be willing maybe I'll have an opportunity to unlearn SLS someday and dump TKT along the way as well.

Unfortunately you can't dump quest-learned spells so you're stuck with SLS.

Player of too many

You would argue with a wall if it had "No, You Are!" written on it. Let it go. - Quote by Carolint
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 05:52 PM CDT
I would say keep TKT just for TKS, personally.

Rev. Reene

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- 'No, you move.'"
- Captain America
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:00 PM CDT
I like DO. I use PD to lock up my PM, then switch to DO to lock my TM. If you need to kill in a rush, not one but many multiple things PD will ask for a lot of mana. Where as DO I never have to stop.
The spell I would like to ditch is Burn.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:03 PM CDT
>The spell I would like to ditch is Burn.

Oh how the mighty has fallen!

Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:07 PM CDT
Why would anyone ditch Burn?

Rev. Reene

- Captain America
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:08 PM CDT
Presumably to learn TS?

Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:14 PM CDT
<<Why would anyone ditch Burn?>>
I only use it for shield users, and I usually can crash through the shields with my broadsword. Or MB them.
If I had to use it in a Spar I would feel cheap.
I love locking one in, pumping a bunch of mana in and not having enough moonlight or whatever. I have to do a sample shot each time.

Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:17 PM CDT
I feel like if you're in a situation where burn won't work (Indoors, or night w/no moons) there should be some other hints that it's not gonna work other then trying to cast and seeing it fail.

Just going with my gut here.

Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:17 PM CDT
>> I only use it for shield users, and I usually can crash through the shields with my broadsword.

That's really impractical for a Moon Mage for a variety of reasons.

>> Or MB them.

Not always possible.

>> If I had to use it in a Spar I would feel cheap.

Meh? Shield is often > evasion, especially if you're relying on stuns or unconsciousness to hit what you're aiming at.

>> I love locking one in, pumping a bunch of mana in and not having enough moonlight or whatever.

>observe moons

Rev. Reene

- Captain America
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:29 PM CDT
Lol at SLS over PD/RF/SoD.

Whole displacement did lose its niche with dazzle :/

You are a strange character, Mozzik.
Re: DO and TKT 09/19/2008 06:29 PM CDT
Let me preface with this is just my preference not a "this is better then that"

<<That's really impractical for a Moon Mage for a variety of reasons.>>
I train my blade aggressively, just my preferred method of killing.

<<Not always possible.>>
Probably true. I haven't committed much time to my MM since 2006.

<<observe moons>>
Heh. Forgot this command existed.