Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 01:21 PM CDT
I know that they are nerfing TM and making it do less damage and was wondering how bad the changes will effect MMs.

Stolas

There is knowledge hidden in the shadows
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 01:44 PM CDT
From Ssra's posts, it sounds like once all the changes are in the effects won't be too detrimental. We also have an advantage in that it's so easy for us to disable critters with spells like MB, hypno, and TV. But of course we won't really know until all the changes are in.
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 03:32 PM CDT
And it depends on which changes are going in. Many have been discussed. For example, if the retreat penalties are implemented (making retreat as slow as advance) along with the evasion nerfing, moon mages without WD may be in serious trouble target hunting (especially in swarms) unless you have trained up MO, shield and/or parry skill. Also, it is a question of if the nerfing results in less damage or less hits. The former we may be able offset with by pumping higher mana into it and actually gain from that change by more PM/harness learning; the latter will likely require higher charisma/disc training so that MB and calm, etc. actually work on the critter. But heck, you will learn to love backtraining; you were circling too fast anyway. :)

One problem, of course, in the short term is that not all the changes will be happening at once. As they are implemented bit by bit, there may be periods of time when it is highly dangerous to hunt as you have in the past. On the good side, you always wondered if you wanted to get Contingency spell; now you know.

Wulfcat
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 03:52 PM CDT
"may be in serious trouble target hunting (especially in swarms) unless you have trained up MO, shield and/or parry skill."

Toldorf, we win! Yay!

-Serc
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 03:54 PM CDT
I'm guessing that damage "shouldn't" drop that much unless one has seriously boosted agility with the intent of trying to get TM damage up rather than focusing more on base ranks. I know my evasion is going to suffer because that's exactly what I did with reflex to help my evasion for awhile during a period in which I didn't want to train it as a sort of substitution. Does anybody else feel this way or am I misunderstanding what they are saying?

Player of Pormithius
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 04:22 PM CDT
From what I understood ... they are reducing the effectiveness of TM and ranged combat by 3 times. That doesnt sound like a small change. I may just be reading what is being discussed but having 1/3rd the effectiveness as before is bad.

Stolas

There is knowledge hidden in the shadows
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 05:31 PM CDT
1/3rd of the effectiveness of before would be cataclysmic.

However, as per Ssra's posts, what is changing is the BONUS to our capacity to target. The ranks themselves aren't up for nerfing per se; what is scaling is the bonus being applied by your stats (in this case, primarily discipline).

So if your ranks are low and your discipline is low, you won't see much of a change. If your ranks are high and your discipline is high, then you'll definitely see a hit, but even then, it won't be reduced to 1/3rd effectiveness; the bonus from discipline (and any other stats in question) will be what is reduced.

Small change for some, significant change for others, but it will be mitigated by the evasion tweak, and as has been mentioned, we have a variety of excellent ways to incapacitate before we strike. Our milk isn't spilt yet. <g>

-- Nomad Reike

>observe weather
You glance up at the sky.
Thick clouds above obscure all but a few lucky stars.
>thank my lucky stars
Please rephrase that command.
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 05:47 PM CDT
"Small change for some, significant change for others"

Yep, of course, at higher skill levels target is rather a pain to learn as it is. To lock it at the 3 ranks post wall you really need to be in a swarm of near constant critters, and even then that is using low mana so that Harness does not run past PM learning and give you all the problems that can cause with other spells. Take away 1/3 or even 1/6 of the bonus damage target spells cause and you can reduce your learning rate of target skill by that degree as well. Take away evasion and put in retreat penalties and you will really wish your weapons and armor skills were not tert. (Well, Toldorf and I can say we told you so about weapons training, but . . . perhaps I have done that too much already).

On the other hand, put in the Ways and we will all be so busy trying to figure out how to the the travel agents of the realms again that we may not have time to care about learning target any more anyway.

Wulfcat
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 05:52 PM CDT
>>From what I understood ... they are reducing the effectiveness of TM and ranged combat by 3 times. That doesnt sound like a small change. I may just be reading what is being discussed but having 1/3rd the effectiveness as before is bad.<<

You're reading it wrong. Evasion is bonused by reflex by a factor of twice as much as reflex bonuses shield and parry. So the bonus, due to reflex, is being put at the same as shield and parry. The same thing is happening to TM and ranged. They were getting bonused to a huge degree by agility and in the case of TM, discipline. These bonuses due to power trained stats are being taken down to the same as melee. TM base ranks should be the same after as they were before, it's merely the degree to which it's bonused by stats is being changed.

-Wighten
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 07:01 PM CDT
Muahahaha, didn't I always say multi is the best skill in DR, Serchah?

-- Toldorf GurKct, melee Kcontortionist

We think about posterity again.
Re: Nerf to TM 05/14/2006 09:16 PM CDT
<<1/3rd of the effectiveness of before would be cataclysmic.>>

Not even close to 1/3rd. :)

-Ssra

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -Albert Einstein
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 08:11 AM CDT
I have fairly high discipline and I am noticing a very significant drop in the effectiveness of my TM. Before the change a single 22 mana cast of CRS would always drop a scorpion. Now it never does.

I'm now very glad I have tried to train up shield and multi. Unfortunately they still aren't nearly as good as my evasion. At least my shield training is picking up now that I evade less (sigh).
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 09:31 AM CDT
<<I have fairly high discipline and I am noticing a very significant drop in the effectiveness of my TM. Before the change a single 22 mana cast of CRS would always drop a scorpion. Now it never does.>>

Do you play in TF? The change to TM/Evasion is only live in TF.

-Ssra

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -Albert Einstein
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 10:08 AM CDT
<< Do you play in TF? The change to TM/Evasion is only live in TF.

No, I am in prime. Is there any other change that would have made a difference in TM?
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 11:32 AM CDT
>>No, I am in prime. Is there any other change that would have made a difference in TM? <<

Ah, the placebo effect.

-WIghten
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 12:04 PM CDT
>>No, I am in prime. Is there any other change that would have made a difference in TM?

Neither CRS nor the TM code in Prime has been changed recently.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing you've noticed. When the changes do become live in Prime, you can now keep in mind the variance you saw simply due to anticipation when judging the result.

-Armifer
"...and we shall be able to see the heavens more clearly, the heavens which, though they still may be cruel, nonetheless will not deny to us their eternal beauties." -Giovanni Boccaccio
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 12:22 PM CDT
Welp...checked it out in TF. No more 150th circle flex westies for me, no sir. Back to rock trolls. Completely devastating change.

Ok, not really. I could oneshot them before, and I still do now. Snap casts aren't quite as effective. CRS still annihilates them with no discernable difference. Likewise for PD with even a partial target.

I do have one concern about the change.

TM Vs. BMR was laughably worthless before this. Now that TM is even more difficult to connect with in the first place, I think that situation could use some serious reassessment.
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 02:07 PM CDT
<< have fairly high discipline and I am noticing a very significant drop in the effectiveness of my TM.>>

Oh dear. The changes haven't been rolled out in Prime yet.
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 04:51 PM CDT
<<TM Vs. BMR was laughably worthless before this. Now that TM is even more difficult to connect with in the first place, I think that situation could use some serious reassessment.

I second this. Before the change as it stands my 700+ TM has an incredibly hard time hitting a barbarian with Partial Displacement fully targeted with 500 evasion. That's a huge gap to fill and I'm worried about enlarging that gap possibly. I don't want this to sound like complaining but rather I just wanted to address a potential problem.

Porrecam, have you tested which stat allows you to break through barbarian BMR best? I'm guessing Charisma is best for offensive and Discipline for defensive vs roars.

Player of Pormithius
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 05:55 PM CDT
Just to add some more observations from TF:

I notice little difference in celps after the change. Spell efficiency seems to be about the same, perhaps a tiny tad worse. Before the changes I killed in 1 or 2 shots usually, occasionally 3. Now I'd say I'm getting mostly 2 and 3 shot kills, with a small number of 1 shotters and an even smaller number of 4+ kills. So, all in all, perhaps a small difference but not anything extreme.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 06:29 PM CDT
Vision, what spell(s) did you use so far to test with?

-- Toldorf GurKct, melee Kcontortionist

We think about posterity again.
Re: Nerf to TM 05/15/2006 09:20 PM CDT
>Vision, what spell(s) did you use so far to test with?

PD is the only spell I use while hunting so that's the only one I have a real baseline to compare against. I could do tests with other spells but since I don't really know how I would have done pre-change, it's pretty hard to say how the change affected it.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.