I learned Starlight Sphere and all I got were my eye torn out. 11/15/2016 05:12 PM CST
I was able to learn Starlight Sphere. According to Elanthepedia, I have the minimum skills to cast it (250 in PM - I have just a hair more than that).

Yet when I try to cast it, I get the message that about not forming / knowing the pattern. When I use the DISCERN command, it says, essentially, that "you don't think you can castt his spell".

I am casting at night, on a constellation, using a cambrinth orb.

Any thoughts? Have the minimum reqs changed?

__
"Technically correct" is the worst kind of correct.
Re: I learned Starlight Sphere and all I got were my eye torn out. 11/15/2016 05:25 PM CST
Your TM matters as well. You're going to need one or both of them above 250 for the weighted average to come out high enough.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: I learned Starlight Sphere and all I got were my eye torn out. 11/15/2016 05:39 PM CST
To be clear, you are saying that PM and TM should both be above 250? Is there anything else I should look out for as well? Stats I should increase? Maybe raise my Arcana or Attunement?

__
Re: I learned Starlight Sphere and all I got were my eye torn out. 11/15/2016 05:52 PM CST
> To be clear, you are saying that PM and TM should both be above 250?

Or very nearly. If your PM is significantly higher than 250, you'll be able to get away with TM being a little bit less.

You could also grab the Targeted Mastery feat, which will make it easier to cast. At a rough guess, it will let you start casting at ~220 ranks.

> Is there anything else I should look out for as well? Stats I should increase? Maybe raise my Arcana or Attunement?

Mentals might help, no one's really sure (except the GMs, of course). Arcana and Attunement won't help with the casting, but Attunement will help you maintain it without running out of mana.
Re: I learned Starlight Sphere and all I got were my eye torn out. 11/15/2016 07:41 PM CST
> If your PM is significantly higher than 250, you'll be able to get away with TM being a little bit less.

Logs into game:

EXP TM

Targeted Magic: 113 08%

Well damn, I have my work cut out for me, then.

__