Quest Spell Erasing 04/09/2008 04:51 PM CDT
My character has fully outgrown Starlight Sphere's usefulness and I would love to forget the spell. Any hope for that someday? From me there's no rush, I'm not starving for spell slots. I know this won't hold true in the future so the option to forget SLS would be appreciated.

-Ghodbane
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/09/2008 05:00 PM CDT
>>My character has fully outgrown Starlight Sphere's usefulness and I would love to forget the spell. Any hope for that someday?

Nope.

-Armifer
"It is no longer possible to escape men. Farewell to the monsters, farewell to the saints. Farewell to pride. All that is left is men."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/09/2008 05:52 PM CDT
>Nope.

Hah! Thanks for the quick response!

-Ghodbane
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/09/2008 09:15 PM CDT
There should be a quest for earasing quest spells. heh
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/10/2008 12:20 AM CDT
>There should be a quest for earasing quest spells. heh

That quest involves traveling at 88 miles per hour in a DeLorean DMC-12.
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/10/2008 01:00 AM CDT
Clanthew would be an ideal staging point. We'll just have someone cast Fire Rain in each room to make sure we clear out the obstacles. Since it's legal.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 05:30 PM CDT
>>My character has fully outgrown Starlight Sphere's usefulness and I would love to forget the spell. Any hope for that someday? From me there's no rush, I'm not starving for spell slots. I know this won't hold true in the future so the option to forget SLS would be appreciated.

I was thinking about getting the spell to mess around with...why does it suck? I don't wanna make the same mistake you did if it's not for me.

-Vaeyrin
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 06:10 PM CDT
>>I was thinking about getting the spell to mess around with...why does it suck? I don't wanna make the same mistake you did if it's not for me. -Vaeyrin

First, this is obviously all my opinion and I respect the work the GMs do. This spell isn't right for my character for these reasons from most discouraging to least:

1. 100% useless at daylight. I tend to log in during day time.

2. Slow. About every six seconds the spell does an action. If you move into a new room, find a target, you have to wait for it to count up to six before it comes into your room. Then you point the sphere at the target and have to wait six seconds before it gets to pole ranged, and then melee range, and then it will attack.

3. Accuracy. Sometimes it hits very well and the target will die in one hit. Other times you'll be waiting a long time for it to even draw first blood. It's like having a lower level hunting partner with you who takes forever to kill the stuff you're used to blowing up in seconds.

4. The amazing mysterious water rooms. SLS stuns and hurts you if it pulses in a water room. Sometimes the room you're in won't even seem like a water room, but SLS thinks it is. There is one in Crossing's Rock Trolls. I don't know how to test a room to avoid this, so I never cast SLS in areas I've never been to.

The only benefit to SLS is mana effeciency, fight a target while you hide, or to wear down an opponent's Shear with no feedback to you. I'm better at managing my attunement now, my targets run away if I'm hiding and people move away if you point SLS at them. So I have no use for SLS, as SOME others will agree. It's just too bad, because SLS and Burn were the only spells I wanted to 100% forget. At least if Burn gets nerfed from its DFA function. Which I'm fine with, I just wouldn't want the spell anymore. I'm forever stuck with both now ;)

-Ghodbane
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 08:18 PM CDT
>>4. The amazing mysterious water rooms. SLS stuns and hurts you if it pulses in a water room. Sometimes the room you're in won't even seem like a water room, but SLS thinks it is. There is one in Crossing's Rock Trolls. I don't know how to test a room to avoid this, so I never cast SLS in areas I've never been to.

This drawback to SLS is something I think is unnecessary; the other aspects of the spell more than sufficiently balance it without this.

However, it does help those of us who do use SLS maintain our image of loonies. This is a good thing.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 09:23 PM CDT
I love SLS despite the drawbacks. I'd love the water aspect to go away considering it does hover in the air and doesn't necessarily touch the water...and the nerve damage does seem more like electric shock damage...

-Coralin

"If Fate is your God, and God doesn't care, then why should you?" - Caelumia
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 09:41 PM CDT
>I love SLS despite the drawbacks.

Yeah, I don't mean to spill hatred over the spell. It just doesn't fit my character, so I'd like to erase it from his spellbook. It is a very fun spell and has amazing descriptions. I'd take a spell slot over it any day though! :(

-Ghodbane
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 09:45 PM CDT
The main niche of SLS is mana efficiency (short term benefit) and attacking things you can't successfully defend (a bad habit that should be avoided in the long run). It is great around 40th circle, but it does get outgrown quickly.
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 10:12 PM CDT
Could perhaps a severe MO penalty be added to the spell when both the caster and sphere are attacking something? That would provide a useful benefit for higher circles I would think.

-Coralin

"If Fate is your God, and God doesn't care, then why should you?" - Caelumia
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 10:17 PM CDT
>Could perhaps a severe MO penalty be added to the spell when both the caster and sphere are attacking something? That would provide a useful benefit for higher circles I would think.

At higher circles your offenses so outpace your defenses I can't imagine this being useful. Might help you when you first get the spell though.
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 10:42 PM CDT
>Could perhaps a severe MO penalty be added to the spell when both the caster and sphere are attacking something? That would provide a useful benefit for higher circles I would think.
>At higher circles your offenses so outpace your defenses I can't imagine this being useful. Might help you when you first get the spell though.

I always thought the same, Coralin. You know, if we could fuse the little starlight sphere to our weapon or moonblade by giving us an offense boost I'd use it constantly! Would be a cold damage upgrade and some accuracy. Well we can dream ;)

-Ghodbane
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 11:22 PM CDT
"or to wear down an opponent's Shear with no feedback to you. "

How does you avoid the feedback? Does it not teach you TM?

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Quest Spell Erasing 04/14/2008 11:47 PM CDT
>>How does you avoid the feedback? Does it not teach you TM?

Shear works by taking the mana you direct at your target and rechanneling it in a very painful manifestation back at you.

Starlight Sphere does not provide such a conduit, because it does not expend mana when attacking. You are not actually casting a spell, when SLS attacks; the sphere is simply using your skill--much as a forest spawn uses the Ranger's skill--as a calculation for its accuracy and power.

Technically, the backlash hits the sphere. But no one cares, because the sphere has no nerves to fry.

---
"Close your eyes -