RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/03/2008 11:17 PM CST
>>if anything its low accuracy makes more of a penalty then the cloud cover.

I concur.
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/10/2008 01:24 PM CDT
Was anyone able to determine if choosing different constellations indeed has a noticeable effect on speed, accuracy, and damage?
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/10/2008 02:14 PM CDT
Yes, at one time it did and some of the results were posted (things like, time to first hit, relative damage, etc.), but that was long ago.
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/10/2008 04:26 PM CDT
>noticeable effect on speed, accuracy, and damage?

As Wulfcat said, tests were done. However, "noticable" is a pretty realtive term and unless you prefer a certain color or immortal association, there's not enough incentive to try to find a "better sphere". Pick a constellation that's always up and stick to it.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Ruea says, "I swear, I'm forsaking Damaris and building an altar to you."
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/15/2008 03:15 PM CDT
so any thoughts on removing that night time restriction so this spell is worth getting?

-Strk
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/15/2008 03:46 PM CDT
Sunlight Sphere. gogo
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/15/2008 04:44 PM CDT
Ah, no, sunlight is such a powerful influence that the sphere is unstable, and it simply becomes Burn.
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/15/2008 06:36 PM CDT
>so any thoughts on removing that night time restriction so this spell is worth getting?

I don't think the time of day restrictions are really what causes this spell to be overshadowed.

Random suggestion -

Point sphere at <self>: Starlight Sphere remains at your side, attacking things in current fashion as they reach melee with you, vice SLS reaching melee with it.

"I am Captain America (and so can you!)"
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/15/2008 07:19 PM CDT
I like the point sphere at self option.

-Coralin

"If Fate is your God, and God doesn't care, then why should you?" - Caelumia
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/16/2008 08:47 AM CDT
SLS and TS are two of the least used spells in the MM book even though they both have really nice functionality. Its hard to spend a whole slot for half of a spell.

-Strk
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/16/2008 08:19 PM CDT
>Point sphere at <self>: Starlight Sphere remains at your side, attacking things in current fashion as they reach melee with you, vice SLS reaching melee with it.

Good call. Here's another
>gesture sphere at <attacker>: SLS immediately closes in on target and continues to attack as usual. There is a chance (say 25%) of SLS falling apart after the first move.
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/17/2008 09:29 PM CDT
I can't imagine why SLS would be a rarely used spell. It's fantastic for training PM and Target from my experience.

http://www.qwantz.com/
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/17/2008 09:39 PM CDT
It's too limited for what it does compared to the other two fourth tier TM spells we have available to us.

I mean, CRS basically does the same thing that SLS does without the drawback of only being usable at night and only if you're not moving through an area with water.

Rev. Reene

[17:27] <DR-Jaedren> I don't do events.
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/17/2008 10:41 PM CDT
>I can't imagine why SLS would be a rarely used spell.

The only place where the spell really outshines (har!) the competition is the mana:kill ratio potential. This is eventually overridden by limited usage, comparitively sloth-like speed, and the fact that at higher levels mana is a minor factor. I can 30 mana PD gryphons all the live-long day, unless they're coming in faster than I can cast. In which case SLS would be hopelessly overwhelmed on it's own, and only useful if you can keep track of which target it's plinking in the midst of a massive swarm.

Aesthetically and lore-wise I love the spell. I really want to use it, I just can't work it into my regular hunting routine without intentionally holding back or using it to play with a single opponent after my weapons are locked, which fails to take advantage of the GOOD point anyway.

tl;dr - What Reene said. At the circle you get it, it is nice. 30 circles later it's deadweight.

"I am Captain America (and so can you!)"
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/18/2008 01:37 AM CDT
well I've been using sls since the it came out.

Heh it was interesting I had someone once look at it thinking it was a gorbesh battlesphere (pre-magic 2.0)

that aside it is the best mana efficient kill spell in the game and I tend to enjoy it during swarms.

Your right by itself it needs help, why said anything about it being by itself though.

It kills while I'm spending my time controlling the room.
It kills while I target another mob and try to kill it.
It kills, because it does.

Also has the best crits in the game <3

RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/18/2008 11:36 AM CDT
Let's not forget a couple "special" uses of SLS for which no other spell is a substitute, such as against pirates on Hara.
RE: Starlight Sphere revisited 03/18/2008 11:44 AM CDT
Starlight Sphere is very pretty to watch in action.

It may not be the best in some circumstances, but it gives your character a certain finesse and as others have stated alternative training options. Options are awesome.

-Coralin

"If Fate is your God, and God doesn't care, then why should you?" - Caelumia