Stargazer's Leap 07/08/2005 07:01 PM CDT
Blah blah name. Gimme a better one. =P

Stargazer's Leap
Prereq: Shadewatch Mirror, Teleport, 50th circle
Castable only at night.
Fluffy Desc: The greatest boon of travelling moon mages, Stargazer's Leap utilizes the powerful clairvoyant nature of the Shadewatch Mirror to provide a portal through which the caster can leap, teleporting him from his all-seeing perch to the lands he surveys.
Sensible Desc: Shadewatch Mirror basically creates a mirror in the heavens with which moonies can keep an eye on things. Taking the Teleport prereq, you turn this mirror into a stellar moonbeam: it's essentially a Teleport spell through your mirror. Your mirror breaks as a result.

Optional ideas:
Pumping enough mana into it will KEEP your mirror active for a maximum of 1 minute, during which anyone else can JUMP MIRROR and achieve teleportation, too.

Messaging Suggestions:
Rekletiva gestures.
Rekletiva leaps towards the shadowy mirror and is consumed in a faint sparkling of stars.
[Insert standard mirror breaking messaging; I forgot and I don't feel like getting him out to find it.]

Destination sees...
There is a sparkling of stars and Rekletiva appears, looking dazed.

Obvious perks:
- Okay, your buddy's in trouble on the islands while you're sitting by the urn hoping Kssarh doesn't toss anything out the window. But you happen to be watching him in the SHM. So you cast SL and arrive with a shield out (just in case, ya know?) and give him the hand he needs.
- Focus a moonbeam before you do so, jump through, open a gate back. Very nice if someone else is doing recon and you're running a home base.

Balancing:
- It's definitively one-way: even if you put in the optional Stargate (<coughs>), people at the destination can't go back. And the current target of the mirror has complete control over your jump-to point, so doing this on an enemy hardly helps.
- Few enough people have SHM to begin with. 50th circle is nicely high, though 55th might be better. (Teleport has a 15th circle req; I figure this should have a +15 on SHM's req, which is 40th.)
- This ought to be harder to cast than SHM, obviously.

Fun perk, because I'm bored now:
- Okay, so we get an army of Prydaen and Rakash, open a Stargate, and have them all jump through really quick.

It's raining ca-- <flees>
Re: Stargazer's Leap 07/08/2005 07:11 PM CDT
Get shift moonbeam.

-Strk
Re: Stargazer's Leap 07/08/2005 07:16 PM CDT
I'd rather make it so having a Shadewatch Mirror on someone functions the same as having located them (with the added perk of not needing to re-locate if they move) when it comes to using Shift Moonbeam.

At least I don't think SHM worked for Shift Moonbeam when I left. Who knows, maybe it got changed and I'm just clueless.

"More colour-coded warnings? I give it a few more years tops until the mere sight of a rainbow fills me with abject terror and confusion."
Re: Stargazer's Leap 07/08/2005 08:05 PM CDT
Yea, I would also rather have SHM function as Locate for Shift. I've suggested this before and given reasons why it makes sense. You can see the area for an extended period of time, that's going to give you a clearer view of the area then Locate does for the purposes of Shift. Granted you still have the distance limitations of Shift, but my feeling is, if my friends are going to travel that far away from me, they deserve to get stranded.
Re: Stargazer's Leap 07/10/2005 11:11 PM CDT
I'm more utility-oriented than half the moonies I know, who say Shift is a useless spell unless you feel like ferrying people around. Which, of course, is why I got it.

SHM works while the moons are down, and for a far greater distance than Shift Moonbeam. It's not as if I'd be able to get the spell anyways; I'm 40th circle. My warmie friend took one look at this and said it was overpowered. Which is why I'm surprised people think it's redundant.

Then again, I do agree that moonies are the most powerful guild in the game. Eh, you guys don't need more spells.

-- Rekletiva Tharandu
Re: Stargazer's Leap 07/22/2005 10:58 AM CDT
The mirror should act as a locate.

However, I think that the Leap idea ia a great one. Perhaps letting others use the mirror as such should have a higher magic requirement (you can shift beams manually, but get 100 in PM and you can shift to a person.) Take the minimum requirements to cast the leap spell and add to it, if you pump enough mana in it and have enough PM, you can cast, then tap the mirror. The mirror stays open until you tap it, when you tap it you are pulled through, shattering the mirror.

Or if they want make it so you can cast on someone like: cast <person mirror is on) <person to allow to tap mirror and be teleported)

the default of cast <person mirror is on> would just have you tap it right away and port though.

Maxxwel Lightish

Through the strings of fate do we falter and fall. Through the strength of will do we rise once again.
Re: Stargazer's Leap 08/02/2005 02:45 PM CDT
I don't have SHW, but plan on getting it one of these days, but I like this idea, except that I don't think it would make it through QC with the letting other people travel through it thing. But hey, it's still a great idea!

~~
A huge snow goblin gazes thoughtfully at its large frozen club, and then at your right leg. Reaching down, the goblin rips off your right leg and gives it a few test swings before discarding the club with a grunt