Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/08/2005 07:40 PM CST
Starlight Sphere needs a few tweaks. With it currently requiring a hefty level and one confusing quest to learn, SLS just doesn't deliever with all that hype. Some of these suggestions may conflict with each other. That's because I don't assume every suggestion will be viable.

1: Able to be cast in daytime as well as nighttime. The constellations may be on the opposite side of the planet during day but they're still there. Is there a mechanics issue with there being no constellations in the sky at the moment? If so, see suggestion 8!

2: If your sphere is in a guarded town, then you should be arrested. This spell isn't taught by the guild, so it shouldn't be accepted or known much about by the city to know it's mostly safe. It's a high level spell and I want it to be feared.

3: Make the sphere give off a warning signal when it's about to vanish like Moonblade does.

4: Make its duration last forever like Shadow Servant. Especially if we cannot cast it during day.

5: With a higher mana cast the sphere can be used as a light source. This might be too powerful if we're allowed to have it around 24/7. (if not then it gives the spell a reason to use more mana since right now more mana only means longer duration)

6: When we "break" the sphere, it should give off a weak damaging area affect that the caster is not immune to much like Shadow Web. It can be dodged/blocked. If the spell lasted forever, then you would be forced to defend against this each time you unsummon it. This would punish the mages who don't train evasion/shield along with their TM! Perhaps the more mana used to cast SLS, the more damaging the area effect.

7: Please let us point our sphere at things while webbed? This I can live without. We can "grumble" while webbed. Maybe we can "grumble sphere at target"? :)

8: Make SLS unsummonable during day but it is allowed to be out during daytime. To summon it during day you must cast it on a sigil scroll. This may or may not use up a scroll's use? If you summoned it at night it'll continue to linger as normal.

-Ghodbane
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/08/2005 08:00 PM CST
Would be nice if SLS could be used as a light source.

When your a cork in someone elses's stream of conciousness, all you can do is spin and bob in the eddies.
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/08/2005 09:09 PM CST
<<2: If your sphere is in a guarded town, then you should be arrested. This spell isn't taught by the guild, so it shouldn't be accepted or known much about by the city to know it's mostly safe. It's a high level spell and I want it to be feared.>>

The sphere is only dangerous if pointed. In the past, I've frequently run through a town on my way to different hunting grounds with my sphere following. I would suggest that the only reason you'd be arrested is if you actually pointed it at someone/something. The sphere may not be taught by the guild but it isn't exactly illegal by any means.

The one thing that I'd like to see is for the sphere to move in on whoever/whatever it's been pointed at faster. It's just too slow for my taste since I got CRS.

~TykTok~
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/08/2005 09:34 PM CST
Suggestion #9:

Please let me delete SLS without spending tdps.

Add moonblade and TkT to that too please.

Forever lovingly yours,
-- Toldorf
>choose remote shadow bunny spell
"I know of no such magic, at least not upon this path," says Lomtaun.
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/08/2005 10:51 PM CST
Excellent suggestion, Toldorf!

"It's too slow"

Yeah it is slow. I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

Suggestion #10: Make SLS auto-pole range like when it is cast indoors. This speeds it up quite a bit. I know Mammoths start a pole-range at all times right? The spheres could act like that. That might be an easier fix to code to make the spell speed up.

-Ghodbane
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/09/2005 12:39 AM CST
heh... Toldie, be nice to tkt, it's not that bad, it just has a bad rep. I still use it on critters that don't drop anything but a pelt, and it teaches me tm faster and better than any other spell I have.

~
A hele'la head arrow lifts off the ground and flies toward a blood wolf!
The hele'la head arrow lands an overwhelming strike (Oooh, the next generation of wolfs are going to feel that!) to its chest!
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/09/2005 01:07 AM CST
>I still use it on critters that don't drop anything but a pelt, and it teaches me tm faster and better than any other spell I have.

Then the question is whether you have CRS or not.
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/09/2005 06:44 AM CST
I'd consider 2,3 and 6 to be downtweaks rather than adding something useful to the spell. All three make it less useful in certain situations than it already is.

2: This is just not a good idea, in my opinion. Burn is already illegal in town for no good reason. Why would we want to limit another of our combat spells? If you want the spell to be feared, you should make it more scary, not less usable.

3: I can kind of see some use in - but I'd rather just be able to get a timer when perceiving like with most self-cast spells, rather than having some sort of visible signal. This way, if you're in a fight with someone, they won't know when your weapon is about to vanish.

6: While I do like the idea of SLS having some sort of area effect, I'd rather not have it be from breaking the sphere. It would be highly inconvenient to have to cast seer's sense and get out a shield every time I wanted to cross through a water room. I'd rather have something else trigger the area effect - like casting dazzle (or any other spell) on the sphere, or using a different verb.

I'd like to see different benefits for the sphere depending on which constellation you use: faster approach speed, harder hits, longer duration, use as a light source, better/different area effects, bonuses to enchanting or other spells, uses with predicting, different possible combinations with other spells (for example, casting shadows on a panther sphere would allow the sphere to be hidden by the caster from others in the room).
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/09/2005 07:18 AM CST
To me the slowness is just part of the way SLS works. The slowness is a trade-off for the multiple hits. I also use the slowness as a feature. When I am practicing hiding I want to get in my three hides at pole range, but critters often retreat when you are in hiding. If they are engaged by a sphere they stay put and don't retreat. The sphere is slow enough to let me get in three good pole-range hides.

My objection is the water stun. Actually, my objection is the way the water stun is implemented. Room descriptions can't be relied upon to tell you which rooms will give you stuns. I would like to be able to walk around in an area and figure out which areas are safe for SLS. You can't do that. The only way to be sure is to cast a sphere and walk around to see where you get stunned, and that can be a lethal diagnostic method.
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/09/2005 09:38 AM CST
Also Burn is only illegal in town when cast at a PC. Perfectly legal against critters, though I never tried NPCs/GMNPCs with it...

-- Toldorf
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/09/2005 10:54 AM CST
Allow SLS to be a source of light for burn, so we can cast it (burn) indoors or when there are no moons out. THat would be awesome... a floating orb of frozen death shooting rays of intense heat... hah.

> I see dead people...<

Vote for Pedro
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/09/2005 08:04 PM CST
>>Allow SLS to be a source of light for burn, so we can cast it (burn) indoors or when there are no moons out.

I like...

>>The only way to be sure is to cast a sphere and walk around to see where you get stunned, and that can be a lethal diagnostic method.

Try appraising the water, if there's water there that will set off the sphere, that'll let you know. You can even appraise it from a room away, for example appraise north.

>>Perfectly legal against critters, though I never tried NPCs/GMNPCs with it...

I got arrested fairly quickly for that one. It shatters the sphere and then charges you with a crime.

>>While I do like the idea of SLS having some sort of area effect, I'd rather not have it be from breaking the sphere.

Another great idea... Maybe a shockwave of some form if we cast dazzle at it with a substantial amount of mana... Perhaps even in the form of the once planned Mind Shout?

>>Yeah it is slow.

Certainly is, but who says you have to only use one spell to hunt with at a time? I like it for the fact that it's point and forget. Try using SLS and CRS or SLS and TKT or SLS and <any other spell of your choice> at the same time, atleast with the sphere you have that choice. I tend to stand at melee and let my sphere do all the work while I train my power perception.
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/09/2005 08:45 PM CST
I don't see why we can't cast this spell during the day.

"But Malveras, you cast SLS upon a constellation, no constellations are out during the day!"

Yes, you need a constellation to cast SLS on.

At least one constellation is a single star.

The elanthian sun is a single star.

Ergo; we should be able to cast SLS on the sun.

I suggest pale white for its color.

--Player of Malveras & Mozu
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 07:25 AM CST
>Ergo; we should be able to cast SLS on the sun.

>I suggest pale white for its color.

We've tried this suggestion before. He's a summary of the response.

1. SLS draws power from the stars.

2. SLS draws its current power from stars that are very, very far away.

3. The Sun is very, very close compared to other stars.

4. BOOM!!!111!!1!!!!1oneone

~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth

"An ye harm none, do what ye will"
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 07:39 AM CST
could we make that boom an option? Serc would have absolutly no qualms with leveling a city/province.

"ooh! I got world-explody!"

-Serc
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 08:42 AM CST
Or if you happen to take your sun SLS into water, it zaps anyone that is in that body of water ::cackle::

That would be oh-so entertaining.

~Brady, player of I'm a Lover Not a Fighter Elavin Rismel.

You hug Farman who wraps his arms around you with a warm smile. He smells like clouds of sulphur mixed with ozone and melted toad intestines.

"Congratulations! You've won DragonRealms!"
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 09:42 AM CST
Boil the seas and turn rivers to steam. All cower before the mighty whims of bored moonmages!

-Serc
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 10:13 AM CST
>Boil the seas and turn rivers to steam.

SLS is frozen starlight, so it would be more like... Ice-9. Yikes.

~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth

"An ye harm none, do what ye will"
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 10:15 AM CST
Floating ball of dry ice?

Make it stick to 'n snapfreeze things.

-- Toldorf
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 10:51 AM CST
Let us use it as a dry-ice bomb! POint to aim it, snap our fingers - wait, I can't snap my fingers - to make it explode! Dry-ice shrapnel flies everywhere.

> I see dead people...<

Vote for Pedro
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 12:06 PM CST
>Another great idea... Maybe a shockwave of some form if we cast dazzle at it with a substantial amount of mana... Perhaps even in the form of the once planned Mind Shout?

Mind Shout still is planned on the 2005 Things To Do list.

>Yes, you need a constellation to cast SLS on.
>At least one constellation is a single star.
>The elanthian sun is a single star.
>Ergo; we should be able to cast SLS on the sun.
>I suggest pale white for its color.

Problem with that is that the spell is meant to work with Starlight. In DR the star that Elanthia orbits doesn't emit "Starlight" in the same fashion that the Constellations in the sky do. Which is why Starlight Sphere Freezes things rather than burning them up.

I could be wrong about that and hopefully if I am Trib or Armifer will correct me.

If SLS was made to be castable during the day it would probably not be as good. Everyone would just use SLS and the guild would be the "OMG We All Use SLS Guild". SLS in its current form fits into a 'niche' that some Moon Mages like.

The reason that SLS is as good as it is (Multiple-Hits, lasts so long, etc.) is that you can only use it at night and because it blows up near water.

Leave the spell as it is.

-Nitish

"You cut my foot off!"

"I apologize; I meant to cut off your head."
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/10/2005 03:30 PM CST
"SLS is frozen starlight"

Thats cause deep space is cold. Elanthian sun is hot. Sides, stop pooping on my party with pesky details. I just wanna destroy things on a globaly cataclysmic scale. I don't care if it will be hot or cold or glowing green when I'm done.

-Serc
Re: Starlight Sphere Suggestions 02/11/2005 06:49 PM CST
<serc's post>

That's because you love to blow things up, chop things into tiny pieces and make a general mess of anything that is in your path... when you feel up to it. Sls should be able to be cast against the sun, sun is a star, and it is it's own constellation! heh

~
A hele'la head arrow lifts off the ground and flies toward a blood wolf!
The hele'la head arrow lands an overwhelming strike (Oooh, the next generation of wolfs are going to feel that!) to its chest!