Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/09/2005 02:42 PM CDT
>>So after you do that a few times and it gets old, then what?

The best idea to work from for Mirror Wraith is that it's an astral projection spell. You project your psyche outside your body, zoom around the landscape for awhile observing the landscape or mildly interact (speaking and the like), but must in the end return to your body.

Will everyone find it useful? Probably not. It doesn't increase your damage, or boost a stat, or blow up a creature. Like all Stellar Magic spells, it is unique in how it functions and will not serve people who take a formulated, mechanical look at the game well.

I think it's a heck of a lot of fun, though.

-Armifer
"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." H.P. Lovecraft
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/09/2005 02:56 PM CDT
<<I think it's a heck of a lot of fun, though.

Something that is just fun? In a game? What a radical concept.
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/09/2005 03:15 PM CDT
Sounds like when I go take my moonbeam for a walk... I just leave distant gaze on it and shift it here and there. Kind of a lame form of astral projection. Except it hurts my nerves, and won't go in doors and boats and ramps.

-/\/\

Cast:
Acolyte Daneas
Moon Mage Daellid
Traveler Kerleown ("Offers ye cannae refuse!")
Bard Thingfeld ("What's the deal with Madmen? Why are they mad? And why are they men?")
Smalmitty, the Warrior Hafling
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/09/2005 03:20 PM CDT
If that is the function of the spell it will need to have SHM and Thoughtcast as requirements. Otherwise, why would anyone choose Thoughtcast and SHM when you can simply choose MW and accomplish the same results by traveling via the Ways or through someone elses Mirror in wraith form? It might even need Teleport and Moongate as requirements if you can access the Ways in Wraith form, or rather only allow wraiths from people that can access the Ways to access the Ways and not have them as direct requirements. I'm looking forward to the spell, but I still look more forward to Grazhir's Effigy. The anonymous feature of the wraith will replace one of RF's old and nerfed uses.
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/09/2005 03:27 PM CDT
<<Will everyone find it useful? Probably not. It doesn't increase your damage, or boost a stat, or blow up a creature. Like all Stellar Magic spells, it is unique in how it functions and will not serve people who take a formulated, mechanical look at the game well.>>

Why is it that the definition of "stellar magic spells" - which typically require a quest, have a level req, and are high tier spells - as given here, seems remarkably close to the definition of "cantrip"?

"Doesn't do much, mechanically, but they're sort of neat!"

I would think, given the pre-requisites, that these would be some of our strongest spells, in terms of actual function, and not just pretty messaging.
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/10/2005 02:20 PM CDT
<<2. If you can Mirror someone, Wraith to them and then Riftal Summons your body to you then hop back into yourself and be whole again (effectively traveling both physically and wraithly to the mirror location) who's going to use The Ways, Moongate, or Teleport anymore? I don't see something like that happening.>>

Riftal Summons does require you to have seer sense on your target...so first you would have to be able to cast seer sense upon your body while in wraith form, second its not an easy spell to use, I have it and its not all powerful. On top of that, I am pretty sure the range limitations of riftal summons would make "rifting" your body to yourself only good for short distances. Seems to me that all the GM's would need to do is not allow one to cast seer sense on their body while in wraithform and problem solved, the rest of the idea can then proceed forward.

Growlyn Gimlyn

"Every day is exactly the same,
Every day is exactly the same,
There is no love here and there is no pain,
Every day is exactly the same"
~NIN~
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/11/2005 12:20 AM CDT
>>Unless your goal is to be sneaky and listen to things.

Isn't that everybody's goal? <ducks> Seriously, MW sounds like a fun spell to use, okay, so you can't project yourself into astral form, go find your enemy and kill him and know that he'll never know, but who really wants to do that besides frig? <grins>

~
ask shadowling about toldorf

The shadowling babbles, "Bitomatoleetoo yomimo!"
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/11/2005 01:24 PM CDT
>Isn't that everybody's goal? <ducks> Seriously, MW sounds like a fun spell to use, okay, so you can't project yourself into astral form, go find your enemy and kill him and know that he'll never know, but who really wants to do that besides frig? <grins>

Usually Frig makes others wants to do that to him. So I'd wager that others would want that too ;)

-Nitish

"You cut my foot off!"

"I apologize; I meant to cut off your head."
Re: Mirror Wraith 05/11/2005 02:43 PM CDT
For some reason I miss rumet now....

The shadows on the wall indeed ran long across the room during the late hours of the afternoon.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page