Stellar 10/31/2003 04:14 AM CST
I wish we had more stellar spells. All this awesome mana in Stellar magic and nothing ta do with it but use SLS later. We should get more stellar spells and since its Stellar some really really cool and powerful stuff!
Re: Stellar 10/31/2003 07:22 AM CST
::laughs:: we can always hope..
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/31/2003 10:00 AM CST

>>SLS = Quest, 40th, TKT and burn, which reqs FM, which reqs shadows. 4th tier spell
>>SHM = Quest, 40th, DG, which reqs Locate and FM, which req Shadows and CV. Also a 4th tier spell.

Actually they're 5th tier not 4th, having a 40+ circle req on a spell ups it one tier

however if it has a circle req below 40th it doesn't get the boost.

--The light is blinding and purges all in its path, leaving only shadows behind, but long after the light has dwindled the shadows will remain to rise and swallow the ruins in darkness
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/31/2003 10:35 AM CST
Is it for sure that burn is a req for SLS? I remember someone getting pretty irked about learning burn and then finding out they didn't need it afterall or something like that. Not that it really matters, because everyone should learn burn anyway, but it'd be good to know for sure one way or another.
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/31/2003 10:54 AM CST
>>Actually they're 5th tier not 4th, having a 40+ circle req on a spell ups it one tier
>>however if it has a circle req below 40th it doesn't get the boost.

Huh? Who said this? Circle reqs have nothing to do with spell tiers as far as I know.

~Aeth
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/31/2003 11:21 AM CST
Where did you hear the clause about a 40th plus circle req boosting a spell a tier? Rigby showed me at Simucon the new way tier is calculated when comparing spells (It use to be just flat number of preqs so something like RS use to be like 9th tier. Now it's sorta a tree struction and the teir is equal to the longest single branch.).

Anyhow I've always found that very amusing with Stellar spells, it's 99% of the time our best mana by at least a level, and the two spells in it are both spells you cast once at relatively low manas and don't recast usually for quite awhile. This is one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to Grazhir's Effigy as it's a stellar combat spell that looks like it may end up being repeat cast rapidly.

-Mozzik

You say, "I'm being killed by classes myself..."
Westryl picks up classes.
Westryl grows fierce looking and appears ready to brawl!
You ask, "This is going to hurt isn't it?"
Westryl says, "Only moderate slice, anyway."
Re: Stellar Spells? 11/01/2003 10:07 AM CST
I got it from Talian he said it in the warrior mage boards awhile ago on a Discussion about chain lightning, however if you make me dig up the post I'll have to kill you since thats about 2000 post ago

--The light is blinding and purges all in its path, leaving only shadows behind, but long after the light has dwindled the shadows will remain to rise and swallow the ruins in darkness
Re: Stellar Spells? 11/01/2003 10:36 AM CST
>>FR is a fourth tier spell (Reqs: FS, FB, DB)
CL is a fifth tier spell (Reqs: GZ, AL, Tingle, LB)<<

Both are fifth tier thanks to circle reqs. Not all circle reqs will bump up the tier of a spell; there's a minimum circle that will do so.

Arc Light > Tingle > Lightning Bolt > Chain Lightning makes it 4th, but the 40th circle req kicks it to 5th.

Fire Shard > Fire Ball > Dragon's Breath > Fire Rain makes it 4th, but again the 40th circle req kicks it up to 5th.

Ethereal Shield has a requirement of 2nd circle. The circle req does nothing; it's still a first tier spell. Tingle requires Arc Light and 8th circle. Again, the circle req does nothing. Tingle is still a second tier spell.

>>>I appreciate the effort that went into making new spells for us and love the originality of ball lightning but I'm not terribly impressed by it.<<<

Some data on why you feel this about Ball Lightning would be appreciated, particularly after the latest duration and damage tweaks. ;)

Rigby

_________

Wrong GM, right track.

Re: Stellar Spells? 12/15/2003 08:07 AM CST
In response to the post that TKT, Burn and 40th circle might be sufficient to gain SS. I know where to go get it,and have those prereqs, but have been refused so there MUST be a skill or something that I am not high enough in. Beyond frustrating as I've traveled, well I won't say where, practically every day but I suppose I'll figure it out sometime in my lifetime. ::mutters::

Skylira

~*~Tiv's Favorite~*~
Re: Stellar Spells? 12/15/2003 08:28 AM CST
Odd. You should be able to attempt the test with 40th circle, burn, TKT, and a free spell slot. Outside of that as long as you are in the right place and someone else isn't actively attempting the quest it is my understanding you should be homefree. I can't say this for certain as I don't have the spell, but I've never seen or heard of anything to indicate otherwise. Also worth noting there is a minor MD req as several people commented when it first came out, usually rather frustratedly, but this isn't clear until one of the steps near the end of the quest and shouldn't stop you from attempting it.

-Mozzik

You say, "I'm being killed by classes myself..."
Westryl picks up classes.
Westryl grows fierce looking and appears ready to brawl!
You ask, "This is going to hurt isn't it?"
Re: Stellar Spells? 12/15/2003 08:32 AM CST
Thank you, Mozzik. I did assist and a GM was able to confirm that nothing is buggy with it at least. I'll keep plugging away. ::grin::

Skylira

~*~Tiv's Favorite~*~
Re: Stellar Spells? 12/15/2003 12:59 PM CST
I believe that you may find a significant amount of MD very helpful. I'm not sure whether it is a formal requirement for the quest.
Re: Stellar Spells? 12/30/2003 12:14 PM CST
I had a GM confirm it that there was no MD req, like you said a good amount of MD helps significantly in achieving the goal at the end, but it isn't needed it just takes alot of toying with if you don't have large ranks of MD

Re: Stellar Spells? 12/30/2003 05:16 PM CST
It's really more of a syntax issue.

All my signatures get me in trouble.

I Bleed For This?
Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 04:46 PM CST
I'm going to get both eventually, but the excitement of a quest might influence when I choose to.

So what say you?

Naturally, without revealing anything. Both for the boards' and my sake.

Telekinetic Shamrock,
Plaith

Caymus says, "I wouldn't take anything written in a book two years ago very seriously."
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 04:52 PM CST
Starlight Sphere is a little more challenging to get. I do use Shadewatch Mirror a lot more though. ::shrugs::

-Path

Westryl says, "Pathian ruins everything. That's why they put the plastic down on the carpet."

The Fyearikloa'i Rensh'a
http://www.bakshiloa.com
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 04:56 PM CST
SLS is a more fun IMO.

SHM is fun if you like running around looking for NPCs to ask about the right thing to progress.

- Player of Miki & Cael

(Toldorf does his infamous gypsy striptease!)
>
Teille wobbles, looking a bit faint.
>
(Aiellestra reverts to the fetal position)
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 06:49 PM CST
The SLS quest is an interesting insight into a sect's way of life, and a fun little puzzle.

The SHM quest is a syntax quest, for "what the hell do I do now?"

Of the two, I vastly prefer the first style. Any time I have to guess six different syntaxes to get an NPC to acknowledge a specific subject, I am usually about ready to give up and play Trtris or something instead.

~Somyr's Player

Please do not stick your head or hands outside the Prophecy at any time.
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 09:22 PM CST
>>The SHM quest is a syntax quest, for "what the hell do I do now?"

The SHM quest isn't like that really. It's a syntax quest if you look at everything from and OOC perspective and have no imagination.

From an IC perspective it's a very fun quest, and it involves social engineering (since you aren't really supposed to have SHM anyway).

I like them both equally.

Wu-yu
Wu-wei
Wu-xin

I Bleed For This?
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 09:44 PM CST
There's at least one piece of the SHM quest which is unquestionably nothing /but/ a syntax puzzle, as to make the relevant step happen, you have to do precisely the correct verb, which is a very, very bizzare-o verb for the problem in question, from the IC perspective. There's about a dozen things a character can do that would solve the step in question more easily (I tried them all, several times, and in several variants). I can't be much clearer than that without spoiling that piece of the puzzle, so I won't say more about that.

Personally, I do not find syntax puzzles to do things your characters should be able to do to be entertaining. Ever. If this means I have no imagination, so be it. I gave up on the spot in Zork when I realized "kick dragon" was the answer, too. Having to do non-intuitive things to accomplish mudane tasks does not = roleplaying, in my mind.

~Somyr's Player

Please do not stick your head or hands outside the Prophecy at any time.
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 09:51 PM CST
I did the SHM quest the first day it was released (the sls one too for that matter), and then again when I had to rechoose my spells.

I don't remember ever having any problems with the syntax for SHM. You're basically just doing favors and asking the right questions to get certain people to like you so you can learn the spell.

The SLS quest is as much of a 'syntax' puzzle as SHM is, especially that last step.

Wu-yu
Wu-wei
Wu-xin

I Bleed For This?
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 10:58 PM CST
The SLS quest is 'cooler'.
The SHM quest is more 'quest like'.

The SLS quest is probably more frustrating to most people, but it doesn't take as long (hopefully).

Eldrad

"...Most of the other guilds require brain damage before joining.

Ooooh!!! GvG!!! I can do that cuz I'm a GM. It's good to be the King."

GM Westryl, Moon Mage Liaison
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/17/2004 11:03 PM CST
I agree, the end part of the SLS quest can be a gigantic hassle if you don't know exactly what it is to do or didn't catch everything the guy said.

It's rather frustrating trying to figure it out only to have your time run out...So you get yanked and can't do it again for a bit. Whee.

- Player of Miki & Cael

(Toldorf does his infamous gypsy striptease!)
>
Teille wobbles, looking a bit faint.
>
(Aiellestra reverts to the fetal position)
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/18/2004 06:03 AM CST
Tastes great! Less filling! hmm, the spell debate in liquid form. Get both.

Wulfcat (finishing the can and moving on)
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/18/2004 05:18 PM CST
<<Get both.

Sounds like the best plan.

Thanks For Your Reccomendation,
Plaith

Caymus says, "I wouldn't take anything written in a book two years ago very seriously."
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/19/2004 08:11 AM CST
I like the Grazhir's Effigy one, but I may be biased.

Then again, the mirror wraith one was pretty neat too.

Talian
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/19/2004 10:26 AM CST
<dances with the silly Talian monster and inducts Talian into the Cult of Ravennesque>

I liked both quests myself, the SHM one will drive you crazy if you don't pay exacting attention to what they say though (thinking of the hours he spent on shm)

The Battered Sectless Melvosis

First Priest of the Cult Of Ravennesque

bury secret
You bumble the attempt! Clues go everywhere!
Erzebet has found your secret and is blackmailing you!
[This secret has been revealed!]
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/19/2004 01:10 PM CST
Ok, Grazhir's Effigy does what again?

Zaran, Closing In On Another Spell Slot

Come here my pretty!
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/19/2004 04:20 PM CST
Talain, your just evil.

brandon

Heck no, that would ruin my destruction of the guild. I'll be aiming for the trash that everyone throws out.

GM - Talian

IRL if i'm fighting a narcoleptic and they fall asleep midway through. The fight is over.

Rebwolf
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/19/2004 09:41 PM CST
Okay Talian, you've hung around Rigby too much. :P

Eldrad

>The glass dome above shatters, showering the room in jagged rain just before the powerful blast rips apart the statue and walls, hurling pieces in all directions. The bright light overwhelms you as you are forcibly thrown from the area.
> * Ravennesque was just struck down!
> * Rhydiah was just struck down!
> * Daython was just struck down!
> * Sarambor was just struck down!
> * Eldrad was just struck down!
> * Mozzik was just struck down!
> * Ileia was just struck down!
> * Lenarra was just struck down!
> * Tykyra was just struck down!
> * Jairem was just struck down!
> * Eowen was just struck down!
> * Rakisla was just struck down!
> * Caelumia was just struck down!
> * Luq was just struck down!
> * Waylay was just struck down!
> * Itron was just struck down!
> * Dartlin was just struck down!
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/20/2004 12:45 AM CST
<<I don't remember ever having any problems with the syntax for SHM. You're basically just doing favors and asking the right questions to get certain people to like you so you can learn the spell.

This is a stupid question but I assume you have to have the spells slots to learn the spells, right? You don't just get two free spells for hitting 40th. do you?
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/20/2004 01:08 AM CST
Yup, you have to have a free spellslot for them.

-Foresee
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/21/2004 08:13 AM CST
>The glass dome above shatters, showering the room in jagged rain just before the powerful blast rips apart the statue and walls, hurling pieces in all directions. The bright light overwhelms you as you are forcibly thrown from the area.
> * Ravennesque was just struck down!
> * Rhydiah was just struck down!
> * Daython was just struck down!
> * Sarambor was just struck down!
> * Eldrad was just struck down!
> * Mozzik was just struck down!
> * Ileia was just struck down!
> * Lenarra was just struck down!
> * Tykyra was just struck down!
> * Jairem was just struck down!
> * Eowen was just struck down!
> * Rakisla was just struck down!
> * Caelumia was just struck down!
> * Luq was just struck down!
> * Waylay was just struck down!
> * Itron was just struck down!
> * Dartlin was just struck down!

<winces> Now why did you have to go and dig that up, Eldrad? Makes me cringe just to read it...

-player of Treshan/Rakisla

>If DR was Televised:
Macfrae and Silvyrfrost would tour the provinces looking for the next Elanthian Idol. After disappointing ratings for the first season, Kssarh would be added in to taunt Bards till they cried.
-GM Westryl
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/21/2004 01:09 PM CST
>Now why did you have to go and dig that up, Eldrad? Makes me cringe just to read it...

that is all behind you... BAD RAINJER! ::thwaps Tresh:: get, go, your not allowed here rainjer boy!

brandon

Heck no, that would ruin my destruction of the guild. I'll be aiming for the trash that everyone throws out.

GM - Talian

IRL if i'm fighting a narcoleptic and they fall asleep midway through. The fight is over.

Rebwolf
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/21/2004 02:03 PM CST
Sure brings back memories though.

- Player of Miki & Cael

Javers says, "I think that "stench-ridden filth set aflame" might be a good clue where to look"
>
Kssarh asks, "Has Rumet's home been set on fire?"
Re: Which Stellar Quest is Cooler? 03/21/2004 10:00 PM CST
Don't make me come shoot you again, Raw... <hums cheerfully>

-player of Treshan

>If DR was Televised:
Macfrae and Silvyrfrost would tour the provinces looking for the next Elanthian Idol. After disappointing ratings for the first season, Kssarh would be added in to taunt Bards till they cried.
-GM Westryl