Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 12:16 PM CST

Just about to hit 40th (go me!) after a number of long, long sessions with Scholarship, and so I'm finding myself thinking:

What's Starlight Sphere like? What are the requirements? Worth the bother?

I also want Shadewatch Mirror, but can't determine the exact spell reqs.

V. curious to hear other player's opinions of these spells.

~Somyr's Player

Trantris says "One does not pet holy sharks."
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 12:36 PM CST
I would think the value of SS would depend on your TM, but I could be wrong.

I know that I use Sphere each and every time I go hunting, and I very nearly restrict myself to hunting only at night because of it. The other combat spellls almost bore me in comparison, but I don't have Spike.

It's definately my favorite spell to use. The messaging is awesome. Where else can you see ribbons of blood rippling majestically through the air from a critter's chest?

There is a quest involved, and you have to be 40th circle, that's all I know. If you want to see it in action, I'll be happy to give you a demonstration.

Bryn

IM - Moonwine
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 01:50 PM CST
Somyr,

I was wondering what you did to work through your scholarship? Unfortunatly, I don't have a spell book so I'm guessing listening to classes and predicting are my best bets?

~Segolas of the Monks~

PS Thanks again for the help last night with the Librarian.
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 01:52 PM CST
I worked through about 25 ranks, listening to classes, predicting, and reading enchantment scrolls. Lotta work.

And no trouble on the librarian.

~Somyr's Player

Trantris says "One does not pet holy sharks."
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 01:53 PM CST
I believe that SLS also requires burn.
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 01:59 PM CST
It also requires that you don't think "Hmm, I haven't trained swimming in awhile".

Guilty as charged.

Eldrad

"This spell channels the light-fire of the moons into a comfortable shoe, excellent for dinner parties, travelling, or combat."
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 02:24 PM CST
>>I believe that SLS also requires burn.

...and TKT too, right? Just want to verify as I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I'm suppose to fit getting SLS in my spellbook with the next couple of spell slots. It would be grand if it doesn't require TKT.
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 02:25 PM CST
TKT, BURN, 40th, Quest, Night time to cast, don't go around water.

Eldrad

"This spell channels the light-fire of the moons into a comfortable shoe, excellent for dinner parties, travelling, or combat."
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 02:26 PM CST
MD req in the quest too I think. (ponder)

Eldrad

Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 02:32 PM CST
While on the topic of Stellar Magic pre reqs, SHM's is... Distant Gaze?
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 02:53 PM CST
Doesn't Shadewatch have a Locate req? I think so.

Sphere is still worth it, with all of those prereqs (some of which I didn't know about, but I have them all by chance.)

Bryn
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 02:57 PM CST
SLS = Quest, 40th, TKT and burn, which reqs FM, which reqs shadows. 4th tier spell
SHM = Quest, 40th, DG, which reqs Locate and FM, which req Shadows and CV. Also a 4th tier spell.

-Mozzik

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a... gypsy at the moment I think."
Talian whispers, "Because gypsies really are the best."
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 05:06 PM CST
>>What's Starlight Sphere like? What are the requirements? Worth the bother?<<

I got a chance to play around with SLS during the spell preview.

About five minutes later, I shot off an IM to a friend: "I don't care how long it takes me. I don't care that I'll only be able to use it half the time. I am going to get to 40th and get this spell."

SLS is the apotheosis of a Moon Mage combat spell. It's quirky, dangerous (to the caster), doesn't always work, and even when it does work it does so strangely (compared to all the other spells at the time)...but when it does, that cute little sphere tears things apart.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 06:20 PM CST
The biggest advantage of sphere over CRS is it's complete lack of any real mana to blow the hell out of things. It's not as fast. It won't teach you gobs of PM or any harness at all while you kill things (not that it can't be used to train out of combat.) It will, however, kill pretty much whatever you want, without costing you a single point of attunement, and without you even having to pay attention (unless you want to MB or calm to help it along.)

In prime, I far preferred this spell over DO and tkt. Now that I have CRS instead, I find that I don't use it quite as often, but it certainly has it's niche. Crystal spike, especially if you put additional mana into it, can really take things out pretty effectively, and when mana is good, there's no reason to use SLS on top of CRS unless the swarm is just coming too fast, and so I find that I tend to hunt with spike most of the time, even when SLS is an option, because that way I'm learning more than just TM and a little PM, but when mana is really poor, you can use SLS to get all the TM you need, and just whip off a CRS here or there to keep PM moving very well too.

The only usable at night thing is a real pain too, since you can also only study constellations at night (some of them for only part of the night) and if you're spending all your time buffing and studying, you tend to end up with just an hour to hunt here or there, especially when you're right around 40th circle and still having a bear of a time getting any of those constellations down on paper before the season ends. It's a tough choice "try and study the nightingale a couple more times" or "kill stuff with sphere before it's morning." CRS is much more reliable all around, and if it's min prep was 6 or something, no one would ever need SLS at all :P
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/29/2003 11:10 PM CST
I'm personally a BIG fan of SLS. Aside from (possibly) CRS, it's the best Kill Things spell we have. I had the same reaction Larcus did during the preview (and at that time I could only cast it at min prep). I finally got it a couple of weeks ago, and man is it worth it. All the killing fun of CRS without the painful prereqs. No, it doesn't teach PM and harness as well in combat, but that's because of its awesome mana efficiency, and you can use it outside of combat to train quite well.

There is one thing Bryn posted that I'd like to adress:
>>I would think the value of SS would depend on your TM, but I could be wrong.

I'd say that is indeed wrong. With only 88 ranks in TM I can rip stuff (including other players with WAY more evasion/shield than my TM) apart with it fairly well, especially if I unbalance it first. And it still costs lest mana than any other spell we have. Point the sphere, do one or two well timed mental blasts or a 2nd level hypno, and whatever you're fighting will soon be dead.

A note on the prereqs: I didn't know what they were when I got the spell, but i do have both burn and TKT. Burn is a perfect complement to SLS, since any time you can't use SLS, you can use burn. TKT can be handy for quick targetted shots to bring about stuns - the sphere freezes the chest, snap of a TKT to the chest to further quicken the death of the critter.
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/30/2003 02:41 AM CST
I lile SLS because I'm lazy and I hate combat. I need boxes though because somehow lock & disarm are my 5th & 6th Survivals. SO I go in turn on my retreat script and point sphere at <blank>, wait for it to die, then search and collect box.

-~- Zelaide -~-

Wild red roses are slowly overgrowing the remains of a greying picket fence. Beyond the fence lies a child's playground, desolate and empty. A gate, ripped from the fence, lies discarded in the grass nearby.
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/30/2003 07:31 AM CST
>>I'd say that is indeed wrong.

I figured it might be, I just wasn't sure if the premise of 'minimum effective use' applied to it or not. I took SLS when I already had 150 TM, so I'm completely ignorant of whether it was effective at 50, 75, or 100 ranks. Or whatever.

Thanks for the clarification!

Besides the majestic ribbons rippling through the air, I think my second favorite message is when the critter gags comically right before their neck explodes. And when you can see their skull right before it shatters. Mm, good stuff.

Bryn
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/30/2003 04:41 PM CST
Have both spike and sphere and still prefer spike for learning and sheer brutality...

A dark crystalline spike crackles with shimmering light and discharges an undulating blast at a robed Dragon priestess!
The fierce blast probably stopped its heart, since it's now lying on the ground, on fire, in a dozen bloody pieces.
A robed Dragon priestess hisses faintly, "Curssse you, Elf," as she dies.
The crystalline spike splits asunder.

And...

A dark crystalline spike crackles with shimmering light and discharges an undulating blast at a shadefield eviscerator!
A shadefield eviscerator's skull explodes in a messy splatter, accompanied by a symphony of electrical crackles and squeals.
A shadefield eviscerator collapses into a pile of shadow, violently twitching its bone blades before growing still.
The crystalline spike splits asunder.

Nice and concise, and hurts even better *cackles with glee*

-- Who else but Toldie, sole Gypsy of the Crystal Hand
member of the Interprovincial House of Praising
Bathrobed gypsy wanderer of Elanthia
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/30/2003 04:52 PM CST
My favorite one is where it stares in shock as it's <limb> is blown completely off it's body.
Re: Stellar Spells? 10/30/2003 05:06 PM CST
Heh, how about when arcs hit the eyes and such and turns them crossed? Always gave me a nice little laugh...

-- Who else but Toldie, sole Gypsy of the Crystal Hand
member of the Interprovincial House of Praising
Bathrobed gypsy wanderer of Elanthia