Log of Vision Discussion Meeting - 4/10 04/18/2021 04:58 PM CDT
Hey folks, a few interesting things came up during it, so I got around to cleaning up a log of the recent vision discussion meeting to share:

You say, "Good to see you all here. I think we can probably get started in just a moment."
You smile.
Cleyra says to Yuve, "Over here, so I can lean on you, next."
Ankoere says, "Is this the Vision Meeting? I was told there would be discussion relating to recent visions possibly relating to the Negotiants."
You nod to Ankoere.
You say, "That's correct. We're just about to get started, and that is actually what I was planning to lead with."
Ezerak says, "It is the visions meeting."
You release the clasp on your astronomer's journal and open it.
You say, "So, thank you all for coming. I see a few new faces, so I'll say that my purpose here is to help spread information about what moon mages have been seeing in the Web of Fate, so that others can be aware of what may be coming. And also to get input from others to help interpret just what it is we may be seeing."
You say, "Even those who can't see visions directly may still have valuable insight for figuring out just what they might mean, as some of them are less than straightforward."
You grin wryly.
You say, "Sometimes, though, at least some of what they are about seems to leap out, and that does appear to be the case in the vision I'll recount now."
You turn a page in your astronomer's journal.
You say, "A man dressed in fine silk robes and expensive jewelry stood in the center of an immaculately manicured courtyard. Spectacular flowers blossomed under the starlight, a fountain burbled peacefully, and brilliant red and white koi lazily swam back and forth. The man produced a clear tessera, which began to unfurl. The man paused a moment, listening to the tessera, and nodded in acceptance."
You say, "The tessera briefly chimed and the man gasped in surprise. Eyes wide, he gazed at the night sky, his pupils shrinking to pinpoints, and his body began to glow with starlight."
You say, "After some time, the night sky began to soften, the dull grey of dawn peaking over the horizon. The man squinted, and recoiled in pain, his skin beginning to burn. He quickly ran inside, and the vision faded."
Woten says, "Well that is refreshingly straightforward."
You say, "The tessera and starlight certainly lead me to believe this has something to do with the relationship between the Traders guild and the Negotiants."
Ankoere asks, "That is what I was sent to discuss. I wonder if you have any insight as to what may have transpired there Miskton?"
Lasaia says, "Sounds like something happened with his Avtalia Array, possibly."
You say, "My guess would be that perhaps the Negotiants are going to offer some manner of enhanced ability to manipulate starlight. But that there might be side effects."
Perune asks, "Side effects such as, don't use during the day?"
Ankoere says, "The Contract has remained unchanged despite... everything. Though there have been reports of the Negotiants willingness to revisit the terms."
You say, "That would seem to be the case. The man ran inside so quickly that I couldn't get a good look at just how badly the sunlight affected him, but it did not look pleasant."
You say, "Obviously, it is up to the leadership of the Traders guild what continued negotiations they choose to make with the Negotiants, but it would be good for them to be aware of potential complications."
Eyst says, "Must be quite severe if just a hint of dawn light sent him running."
You say, "Any further thoughts on that one? If not, we can move on to the next."
Ankoere says, "Any changes to the Contract would be of great significance."
Ankoere nods to you.
You nod at Ankoere, in complete agreement with his views.
Lasaia asks, "You are aware of the implants?"
Lasaia peers quizzically at you.
Ankoere says to Lasaia, "Quite."
Lasaia nods.
You say to Lasaia, "I have a vague understanding of how that all works, but not all the details."
Lasaia nods to you.
Cleyra asks, "Do the Negotiants control what kind of spells the Traders guild can learn, or are people just inventing new spells?"
You say to Cleyra, "I know there are certain limits on which the Traders are not allowed to tread, but beyond that I am not certain."
Lasaia says, "They do tell us which types of magic we are supposed to study."
Eyst says, "As I recall the Negotiants are very strict about what they may and may not do."
Ankoere frowns.
Ankoere says, "The are rather unyielding, yes."
Eyst says, "I think I recall a story of one trader losing their head for treading outside the allowed bounds."
Lasaia nods to Eyst.
Ankoere says to Eyst, "Careful now."
Lasaia says, "Not just treading, inquiring, sometimes, is dangerous."
Perune says, "The nature of advancement."
Ankoere says, "My sister deserved better, foolish as that endeavor was."
Cleyra asks, "Do the Negotiants get mad if a moon mage casts a trader's spell?"
You say to Ankoere, "My condolences."
Ankoere nods to you.
Eyst says to Ankoere, "That was your sister? Ah, my apologies for bringing it up."
Ankoere says, "I've made a point of studying them since. Hence our interest in what you have seen relating to them."
You nod to Ankoere.
Perune asks Ankoere, "Do you partake in the implant then?"
Cleyra asks Kethrai, "Should I ask again, but louder?"
Zeteivek asks Ankoere, "You are not familiar to me. Who is 'our'?"
You say to Ankoere, "There have been a few other visions in the past that seemed like they might have been related to the relationship between Traders and the Negotiants. I'll have to dig up my notes, but I can send you some copies."
Ankoere says to Perune, "Of course. The array was not the point of contention."
Perune says, "Interesting."
Aislynn quietly says to Cleyra, "It is a good question."
Aislynn quietly says to Cleyra, "Ask Miskton directly. Perhaps he knows."
Perune says, "I'm always amazed by those willing to take the implant."
Ankoere says to Zeteivek, "Valdish Enterprises. My sister was Dehvra."
You ask Cleyra, "Oh, sorry, about moon mages casting Trader spells?"
Cleyra nods to you.
Lasaia says to Perune, "I didn't feel adequately forewarned about how painful the process would be."
You say, "Well, I don't know if the Negotiants are bothered by it, but if so they don't seem to have acted on it. I've personally cast the Platinum Hands of Kertigen spell."
Ankoere says to Perune, "Are you not charged with raw elemental energy at this very moment? Seems rather unstable."
Ankoere grins at Perune.
Lasaia says to Perune, "But once they are in, they are in."
Perune chuckles.
Cleyra says, "I've been doing some small spell research of my own, but I didn't think about studying Trader spells for ideas I could borrow..."
Perune says, "I am more or less in control of the energy, and admittedly my fascination with the implant is definitely about 'control'."
Ankoere says, "The contension was with her decision to test the clearly defined boundaries of the Contract. Some have pursued further explorations of the specifics of the Contract, and received communications with the Negotiatns."
Perune says, "Yes, Rafano's work has been rather interesting."
Ankoere nods to Perune.
You nod to Perune.
You ask, "Let's see... Shall we move on to the next vision, then?"
Lasaia says, "During one of the experiments our tesserae were ripped from our hands, which leads me to believe they control it somehow, and the implants."
Lasaia says to you, "Yes, please."
You say, "This one was seen recently, prior to the recent activity related to Zengmodaleth and the Plane of Electricity."
You say, "My mouth filled with the taste of copper, and I saw a tall figure bent over a metallic table fiddling with a sphere composed of interlocking components. Hands held slightly apart, the figure seemed to concentrate on the sphere, and with a faint crackle, energies coursing along the various parts, the sphere rose. Spinning rapidly, the sphere all but disappeared in a haze of streamer discharge, and the figure nodded in approval."
You say, "Suddenly, a loud ping! came from the sphere, and it began to shed components in all directions. The figure calmly waved a hand, erecting a shimmering barrier enclosure that flared as it caught each rapidly flung piece. As the figure stood and turned to walk away from the still catastrophically disassembling sphere, I caught a glimpse of his face, his lips and fists clenched in frustration, and the vision faded."
Woten exclaims, "Oh ho!"
You say, "I'm not sure about the sphere specifically, but it does seem like those custodians found in Zengmodaleth have been malfunctioning quite a bit."
Ezerak says, "The Lord of the Void likely working on something related to whatever is going on in Zengmodaleth."
You nod to Ezerak.
Cleyra flatly says, "Lord of the What Now."
Aislynn quietly says, "Well, if he wants us to fine-tune his manufacturing process for him, I... err.... I suggest he might be looking to the wrong people."
Perune says to Aislynn, "Not necessarily."
Perune grins at Aislynn.
Aislynn quietly says, "We're more the "break it open and harvest what comes out" sort 'round here."
The tip of Aislynn's tail makes lazy circles in the air.
Ezerak says to Cleyra, "The Lord of the Void. He's sort of part of the leadership of the Warrior Mage guild."
Aislynn grins at Perune.
Ayrell says, "Not all of us want to break things. It just... happens. Sometimes."
Ayrell clears her throat.
Aislynn grins at Ayrell.
Yuve asks, "Manufacturing process?"
You say to Cleyra, "A title for someone... very high ranking in the Warrior Mage guild. I'm not sure exactly how the hierarchy works."
Woten says, "Ezerak summed it up pretty well."
Perune says, "Its a little more complicated than that politically, but it functions."
Woten asks, "Anyone heard from Daervlan recently?"
Woten says, "Speaking of."
Ayrell says to Woten, "Not directly."
Ayrell says, "But we heard from Uryutis recently."
Ezerak says to Perune, "I'll leave the long version to someone who knows better than I."
You say, "And while it may not be clear from the vision exactly what he was working on, this is definitely something that many people have their eyes on."
Woten says to Ayrell, "What's our, uh, adult supervision have to add."
Ayrell laughs softly, trying to hide her amusement.
Aislynn chuckles.
Ayrell says to Woten, "He advised that the custodians somehow managed to... upgrade themselves."
Woten rubs his hands together.
Ezerak nods at Ayrell, obviously agreeing with her views.
Woten says, "Good, lots of opportunities for learning then."
Ayrell says, "And confirmed that their arrival to the Plane of Abiding was not directly linked to our experiment which opened the gateway to Zengmodaleth."
Woten tugs at the tip of his beard distractedly.
Woten chuckles.
Woten says, "Yeah, that's what I'd say too."
Aislynn quietly says, "Was offended at the suggestion, honestly."
Woten says, "That portal you guys ripped into my house? Definitely not related to my creations getting loose."
Perune says, "There will likely be a public discussion about the recent happenings soon, and work taken to communicate with the selreks or custodians, in attempt to solve the problem."
Ayrell says, "Well, the custodians are not Daervlan's creations."
Enthien snorts, loudly.
Perune nods to Ayrell.
Woten says, "I have my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking with it."
Woten studies the ground for a moment.
Ayrell smiles at Woten.
Aislynn grins at Woten.
Senthic grins.
You say, "I have one more vision to discuss that seems to be clearly related to recent events, and then two that are a bit more vague."
Ayrell pats Woten on the back.
Woten grins at Ayrell.
You say, "A sleek clipper cut through rough seas, its black sails taut as an Elementalist shaped the winds. A crew of seasoned men and women scampered over the rigging, smoothly making coordinated adjustments and shouting out quick commands to one another. An old Gnome with an eye patch scanned the horizon and called out a heading, and the prow shifted slightly."
You say, ""Dead churn ahead!" the lookout called, and small balls of lightning rapidly realigned to visibly signal from the crow's nest."
You say, "In the distance ahead, a whirlpool picked up in ferocity, and a mass of rotting tentacles rose from the waters. A fist sized sphere of fire arced into the sky and exploded into a cloud of silver smoke. The tentacles receded back into the waters as the whirlpool calmed, and the ship sailed on. The vision faded."
Woten says, "Now that's a ship I want to sail on."
You say, "Hard to place the ship exactly, but that Gnome could have been the pirate Srinoja."
Aislynn quietly says, "Sounds like a dead-ringer."
Perune says, "Seems like insight into how she's able to use the waters around the Isle."
You say, "And the tentacles would seem to be some sea creature reanimated, possibly by the lich Jeihrem."
You say, "Something that I think should be considered very carefully when it comes to any plans for assaulting the island."
Woten says, "If fireballs and and strong breeze are the secret to sailing around the isle then that's a bit of a shame on us for not thinking of it."
Perune says, "I'll give you the real secret: airships."
Aislynn quietly says to Woten, "Signal flares, and being friendly with the natives...."
Aislynn chortles softly at some secret joke.
Woten chuckles.
Ezerak grins at Perune, his dimples flashing into view.
Ezerak says to Perune, "You read my mind."
Woten asks, "Isn't there that crazy, multiheaded lady that flies around out there?"
Perune says, "I'm not really fan of them but they'd be safer until you had to deal with Sivroch."
Zeteivek says, "If she has some tool or magic to deal with the Lich, she is worth appeasing to accomplish that goal."
Woten says, "I'll admit I'm think on details."
Aislynn quietly says to Perune, "In previous visions, a being presumed to Sivroche flies about quite a bit."
Woten says to Perune, "Yeah, that's the one."
Perune asks, "Is it multi-headed or hydra-eyed?"
Perune says, "I always forget."
Woten says, "Hmm... maybe 3-eyed was it."
Woten shrugs.
You say, "An unusually large number of eyes, I believe."
Aislynn quietly exclaims, "Just the one head at the moment, I think!"
Aislynn pats Perune on the back.
Perune says, "Ole Five-Eye."
You say, "And an extra arm."
Aislynn quietly says, "May she grow another in an uncomfortable place."
Perune says, "Why only one extra arm? I mean, instead of two."
Cleyra says, "I have some ideas on that."
Ezerak says, "That's certainly an odd number."
Ezerak nods at Perune, obviously agreeing with his views.
Ezerak appears to be trying hard not to grin.
Woten says, "Just another good reason to leave the island alone. I don't need an odd number of arms."
Yuve cocks her head at Cleyra.
Ayrell looks at Ezerak and sighs.
Ezerak smiles at Ayrell, revealing the dimples in his cheeks.
Cleyra says, "Plenty of times I wished I only had one extra paw."
Aislynn gazes at Cleyra.
Perune says to Cleyra, "Fair."
Etasia says, "Where are they on the island, i went the day after hearing of fires and i saw no one."
Etasia says, "Tis desolate still."
Zeteivek says, "Didn't the other lich have three arms? It could be a cursed thing."
Perune asks, "Oh, part of the standard demonic purchase?"
Perune asks, "For one soul you get Undeath and an extra appendage?"
Aislynn snorts, loudly.
Zeteivek shrugs.
Etasia says, "Ohhh."
Aislynn quietly asks, "And they chose arms?"
Aislynn scoffs.
Ezerak asks Perune, "And I'll throw in the extra eyes for free?"
Etasia says, "I see."
Perune says, "I get it now."
Perune nods.
You say, "The next vision is more vague in its meaning, though it may possibly be related to some other visions that have been seen."
Lasaia says to Etasia, "If you mean Ratha, there were some fires, citizens were putting them out quickly."
Etasia asks, "Thank ye, not so simple aye?"
Lasaia shakes her head at Etasia.
Etasia nods.
Etasia says, "Yes indeed i meant Ratha."
You say, "Plunged into oppressive humidity, I found myself surrounded by bent cypress and beech, dripping with sheets of crone's hair moss. Wading through the murky water, I made steady progress towards a slightly raised bank. Scrambling up the muddy island, I noticed a crouched man dressed in rags. The man repeatedly picked up a rock and tossed it out into the swamp, but before striking the water, the rock stopped in midair, quivered a moment, and reversed course, right into the hands of the man who deftly caught it. With each repetition, the man berated the rock, scolding it for its impertinence and refusal to behave like a rock. Suddenly freezing, the man turned and noticed me, and in one swift motion hurled the rock directly at my head! I fell backwards into the water, and the vision faded."
Cleyra says, "I hate those rocks that don't act like rocks. Sometimes they're turtles."
Aislynn quietly says, "Or frogs..."
You say, "I'm sure there's a variety of possible interpretations there, though not much to tie it down to."
Aislynn shakes her head.
Woten says, "Can't think of any area I know of that you could describe as an island in a swamp."
You say, "There have been a few other visions in the recent past relating to swampy areas, though those seemed more oppressively distorted. Though one did feature another rather odd man."
Zeteivek says, "An old man on an island, not able to accomplish a thing."
Woten chuckles at Zeteivek.
You say, "Those other two visions also directly featured a wall, which has led me to send some notice to the Emerald Knights at Corik's Wall, just in case."
Geshia gazes thoughtfully at you.
You say, "In the more recent one of those..."
You say, "I found myself walking in a humid swamp, the scent of rot and decay a choking miasma. The sounds of wild animals could be heard all around me, a chorus of hooting and growling, but I could not see signs of any life larger than stinging insects and the occasional ripples across the water. Far behind me, a large wall could be seen, torches dotting the ramparts at regular intervals. I continued into the wilds."
You say, "After some time, I came to a somewhat elevated clearing with a single tent staked into the muddy ground. Though the canvas was torns, the remains still stood. Loud snorting and muttering could be heard from within, and as I peered into the rent fabric, I saw a half-naked figure covered in mud carving ordered lines into its arm and shoulder with a rusty knife. Chanting in guttural gibberish, the figure giggled and cried and shouted at the unseen. Suddenly wheeling around, the figure saw me watching, and with a yowl of anger rushed forward. The vision faded."
Lasaia asks, "The road south of Shard gets a bit swampy, yea?"
Geshia says to you, "Yes, the Commander received your message."
Geshia nods to you.
Woten says, "Still think it sounds like south of Corik's Wall."
You say to Geshia, "Ah, excellent."
Aislynn quietly says, "Quite a bit of insanity in both visions."
Yuve says, "That one was quite creepy."
Geshia says, "I am here at the request of his Second to hear your words directly."
You say, "The other vision also made it clear that the swampy area was to the south of the wall."
Perune says, "The Hand is a creepy place."
Briaen nods in agreement.
Ayrell nods at Perune, obviously agreeing with his views.
You say, "I found myself walking along the ramparts of a large wall, the dark night covering a trackless swampy forest of rot and twisted trees spanning to the south. Periodic torches betrayed the presence of siege engines, thick timbered ballistae and trebuchets built into the stone, well provisioned with iron-tipped bolts half a dozen spans in length and oiled clay boulders. The sounds of wild animals could be heard in the distance until a chorus of hooting and growling was suddenly choked off."
Briaen gazes off to the south.
Hanryu says, "There are many Knights missing in action. Who knows how many might have been driven mad by the Hand."
You say, "Beyond the marsh to the south, a series of fires flashed to light and arced wildly upward, soaring into the sky in brilliant streaks, and screaming as they began to drop toward me. As they flew, they fragmented and pummeled the wall around me to little effect. Looking down, I realized the flaming projectiles were the severed heads of woodland beasts, flesh burnt and peeled back around blackened teeth. More fires lit in the distance, and the vision faded."
Aislynn frowns.
You say, "My personal knowledge of the terrain of the Dark Hand is lacking, however, so although it's suspicious I couldn't say for sure if it looks like any of the land out there."
Zeteivek makes a grunting noise.
Zeteivek says, "I would be pleased to wear my badge again."
Enthien smirks.
Geshia says, "The area you describe sounds close to it."
Geshia nods to you.
You nod.
Geshia says, "The battle is endless. It is always endless..."
You say to Geshia, "Thank you for that confirmation, though that does raise my worries."
Perune asks, "Has there been any scouting that far south?"
Geshia says, "Still, there have been recent surges of activity. Sounds. Movement. And attacks at times of course."
Eyst asks Geshia, "Are there people that live beyond that wall?"
Perune nods.
Briaen nods to Eyst.
Ayrell says, "We did a scout a while back, but that was long before the newest visions."
Ezerak nods at Ayrell, obviously agreeing with her views.
Briaen says to Eyst, "I am from this place."
Eyst raises an eyebrow.
Briaen smiles slightly.
Ezerak says, "It seemed...ordinary, for the Hand, at the time."
Geshia says to Eyst, "People...and things."
Eyst asks Briaen, "Either of the men from the vision sound familiar then?"
Yuve gazes at Briaen.
Hanryu says, "There's always been some of the Shadow clan that manage to survive in the Hand."
Briaen shakes his head at Eyst.
Briaen says to Eyst, "Neither, no."
Hanryu says, "Not the beest place to start a family though."
Zeteivek says, "A better place to lose one."
Geshia says, "Your forewarning to us is appreciated, Mage, but please remember to also inform your handlers in The Tower of the risks we face as well."
You say to Geshia, "If I do see any more visions that also seem to be related to the Dark Hand, I'll be sure to send word."
Geshia nods to you.
You nod to Geshia.
You say to Geshia, "I will pass that on."
Perune asks Geshia, "Are you short on soldiers or supplies?"
Geshia fixes Perune with a serene, lofty stare.
Geshia says to Perune, "Define short? It seems we have eternity to fight against the darkness."
Geshia asks, "What would be sufficient supply in that case?"
Geshia asks, "How many soldiers?"
Geshia says, "All this casual talk of crystal power implants, contracts for magic, elemental charges, ripped holes in reality, multi-headed hydra-eyed demons and liches..."
Geshia casually observes the area.
Geshia says, "Some of us are left to clean up all that nonsense."
Zeteivek says, "There are many who will rally when the Emerald Knights call."
Geshia snorts, loudly.
Briaen says to Geshia, "You're far from alone in that charge."
Ezerak nods at Geshia, obviously agreeing with her views.
Navesi gazes thoughtfully at Geshia.
Geshia nods to Zeteivek.
Perune says, "Supply is based on time. Are you in need of help that should be mustered immediately, is what I'm asking."
Maraisel says, "I would join the ranks, if I could. Since I can't, I have to settle for helping, if needed."
Geshia says to Perune, "If the Mage's visions do forewarn a more focused assault on the wall, then that will be the time."
Geshia nods to Perune.
Perune nods.
You say, "Speaking of assaults... There is one more vision to discuss, though the location in which it takes place is vague."
You turn a page in your astronomer's journal.
Geshia nods to you.
You say, "A blood-soaked field stretched before me, crows feasting on the cold remains of a needless carnage. A thicket of swords plunged blade first into the ground served as a makeshift fence, and a young boy grimly set to the task of paying last respects -- carefully sketching the faces of each corpse before affixing the drawing to the hilt of each sword. Where the scavengers had ravaged a face beyond recognition, the boy improvised. After some time, the boy ran out of charcoal and paper, the task incomplete. He fell to his knees, eyes vacant, and reached for a sword. Gripping the weapon tightly, blood streamed from his hands, and he began to bend the blade, slowly, until the weapon was a ring of sharpened steel. The boy dropped the ruined sword, and the vision faded."
Aislynn winces.
Lasaia winces.
Navesi quietly says to Geshia, "I understand it is a difficult job, and one that must receive little thanks. Allow me to offer my own."
Yuve frowns.
Ankoere frowns.
You ask, "I'm not sure what to make off this one. The bending of the sword could be an expression of someone's feelings on lives being wasted in battle. But who, or what battle?"
Woten ponders.
Navesi says, "The ring shape is certainly interesting."
Zeteivek asks, "Are there any factions with that symbol, a ring of bent steel?"
Ankoere says, "Kid bending a sword is also pretty odd."
Aislynn quietly says, "All of them, perhaps, instead of just one battle. There's certainly the feeling, there at the beginning, that all of the bloodshed was needless."
Navesi says, "Often these visions are more metaphorical."
You nod.
Ysilda ponders.
Aislynn quietly asks, "That vacant expression, also... Would you say it resembled that of one lost to the horror of the moment, or one controlled by something.. else?"
You say, "The child may well represent something else, even a group of people."
Zeteivek says, "Or perhaps he favors spears and dislikes swords..."
Zeteivek gazes off into the distance.
You ask, "And that was the last of the visions I had to discuss this evening. Does anybody have anything else they would like to bring up, or further questions?"
Woten says to you, "Thanks for hosting, as always."
Geshia says to you, "Thank you, Mage. Please send word again if you see more of the wall."
Geshia gives a gracious nod.
You nod to Geshia.
You say, "I can provide a moongate to Crossing, for those heading that way."
Cleyra says, "I always come with questions, and leave feeling too stupid to know what to ask first."
You carefully mark your place and close your astronomer's journal, securing the clasp.
You say, "Thank you all for coming."
Elizzibiana slowly says to you, "Please and thank you for the meeting."
Ankoere says to you, "Thank you for your time. We track these matters with much interest."

Also of potential interest to people:

> look ankoere
You see Consultant Ankoere Valdish, an Elothean.
Ankoere has a round face, deep-set crystal blue eyes and an aquiline nose. His auburn hair is short and cropped.
He has pale skin and a broad figure.
He appears to be an adult.
He is in good shape.

He is wearing a lacquered sheath embossed in winding geometric forms, a medallion with bronze and silver swirls, a fine silk robe embroidered with purple and ivory glaysker blossoms, a wide firesilk sash and a pair of sturdy boots.

> look geshia
You see Emerald Templar Geshia Falasturi, an Elven Paladin.

You cannot make out all of her features with the clothing she is wearing.
She is in good shape.

She is wearing an emerald-green hooded velvet cloak trimmed in snowbeast fur, some polished steel half plate bearing the crest of the Emerald Knights, a rugged leather weapon harness, an iron-studded tower shield, a rugged leather knapsack, a polished steel bracer engraved with crossed lion paws and some steel-plated boots.