Prestidigitation 02/19/2018 09:55 PM CST
By manipulating the mana currents in subtle ways the caster is able to produce a variety of terrifying illusions within a targets mind or within an area. No one is certain where the spell originated since it is widely used by several sects. However due to its grim nature most speculate it originated within the ranks of the G'nar Pethians due to their extreme practices in shunning their normal sight.

Debilitation spell that changes based on how its cast. When casting at a target it creates an image that is able to paralyze them with fear temporarily. This illusion can only be seen by the victim when a single target is specified. It can be area cast with exceptional skill and knowledge of a meta spell causing everyone within the room including the caster to see a projected image created from light and shadow. These illusions are said to be conceptual in nature...beyond mortal description and quite terrifying to view. And again with even greater skill and knowledge of a meta spell the caster is able to make him or herself appear as one of these mind breaking images to any who face them in battle without having to witness it themselves.

Gives round time or immobilizes when cast at a target based on success. Immobilizes or puts entire room into round time when area cast, including caster unless they are pethians and have no eyes. The real treat is that it can be self cast to become cyclic once you reach a certain skill to pulse immobilize anyone engaged in combat with the caster every so often. If you don't have the meta or enough skill when self casting it lands on the caster just like it was cast at a single target.

I have always loved the flavor of spells that are "dangerous" and need to be used right. This spell will be helpful to any mage as a single target debilitation spell even if you aren't a pethian and don't want to gouge out your eyes. Pethians get a cool bonus for being blind I think since it really makes sense if they want to get that meta. Make the basic cost be 2 slots then with metas you can either get the AOE for 1 slot more or the Self cast effect for 2 more...or spend 5 total and get both metas pethian or not. Maybe make it so non pethians who area cast have a chance to evade the mind breaking effect if they have enough charisma.

When casting, if you don't specify a target or area, it auto self casts.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Prestidigitation 02/20/2018 03:20 PM CST
Not sure I like the idea of putting myself in round time.
Re: Prestidigitation 02/21/2018 08:22 AM CST
>>Not sure I like the idea of putting myself in round time.

If you have a target, you will not get affected by spell. And if you have enough skill and have the meta, if someone leaves room or you typed the wrong name and it tried to self cast you would just end up casting the cyclic. Its more for flavor. The whole sect back story of the pethian's not being able to be fooled by any illusions is the reasoning behind the area cast meta and the nature of the spell.

If you have enough skill it will eventually never hurt you because self casting will just be cyclic. And if you don't have the area cast meta and never try to cast area you wont have to ever deal with that mechanic. I also figured the spell could be powerful with a few thorns protruding from it compared to being vanilla with no sort of drawbacks in place.

Pethian or not, you will be casting this for the cyclic once you are able. Since it will be free cc without having to stop casting other spells. Even from missile range you are considered engaged with a target if they face you to aim or target.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"