Moonblade Meta 02/04/2018 12:14 PM CST
Could Moonblade get another meta spell that extends the duration to ritual levels? Or add it to either of the current meta spells? It would still need to be recast to make use of the spell nodes but would really help in combat, especially with younger mages who can't get the long duration for quite some time.
Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 09:52 AM CST
>>especially with younger mages who can't get the long duration for quite some time.

This is a very good point.

I've always thought Moonblade should be an introduction spell that any novice could cast as easily as shadows. Currently the spell doesn't get the use or provide the service its intended to simply because by the time you have enough skill to cast it you already have more strength, storage and coin so using forged weapons will be a better option by then.

I think not only should its length be increased at its baseline, novices should gain access to shaping it and making it cambrinth rather quickly, but only slowly unlock the spell nodes over time with skill gains. This will make it a wonderful spell to train with early.

Also, even if it was a meta spell slot, adding Fire damage to yavash Moonblades, electric damage to katamba Moonblades and cold damage to xibar moonblades would be a cool feature. And if its not possible then atleast allowing yavash moonblades to ignite naphtha would be a nice quality of life feature since the slivers already can.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 11:31 AM CST

Is there any reason moonblade shouldn't work the same as summoned weapons? Once you create it, you have it until you throw it away, break it, or release it.

> Also, even if it was a meta spell slot, adding Fire damage to yavash Moonblades, electric damage to katamba Moonblades and cold damage to xibar moonblades would be a cool feature.

That would be a cool default option. I think makes more thematic sense than a mundane blade.
Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 12:08 PM CST
>Is there any reason moonblade shouldn't work the same as summoned weapons? Once you create it, you have it until you throw it away, break it, or release it.

Moon mage design is based upon built-in limitations of moonlight. Lately (the last couple of years) we've been told that Moonblade's new identity is more of a wizard's staff than a dedicated weapon. A permanent moonblade Craft Enchantment has been teased here and there but I doubt it's a launch Craft Enchantment, assuming we ever see it.

If any work is done on sect interaction with Moonblade I'd like to see the bug fixed that makes using the Sibo Nijare Progeny of Tezirah cantrip result in a worse appraisal moonblade if you know the weaponsmithing techniques.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 01:43 PM CST
>>Lately (the last couple of years) we've been told that Moonblade's new identity is more of a wizard's staff than a dedicated weapon

I recall hearing once that a certain GM would abolish the spell entirely if it were possible. Sad as it is, it does seem the form and function of Moonblade has been under attack. I for one would much rather see it remain as it is, before seeing it removed. And feel it is a core spell that should be fixed if its not fulfilling its role.

>>If any work is done on sect interaction with Moonblade I'd like to see the bug fixed that makes using the Sibo Nijare Progeny of Tezirah cantrip result in a worse appraisal moonblade if you know the weaponsmithing techniques.

Right. This is probably the first issue that needs fixed before addressing the quality of life stuff. However I think the overall scope of the project would be small enough that fixing said bug, as well as tweaking its difficulty for novices to be able to train using it would be quite easy.

And if they are already tweaking, they might as well toss in the thematic flavor of elemental damage either through its base templates, a meta spell or perhaps with certain conjunctions of the moons only.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 02:13 PM CST
>>I recall hearing once that a certain GM would abolish the spell entirely if it were possible.

I feel when something like this is brought up, it would be valuable to know the context behind why someone said that. Is it hard to code/manage or is it [now?] anti-thematic to the guild? I'd be surprised if GMs want to remove this spell, given that it made it over through the 3.0'en-ing, and (IMO) it's much better off because of it since it can now reach T5 status.

I vaguely remember the "it's meant more to be a wizard staff than a dedicated weapon" in the context of "why doesn't moonblade have all the fancy widgets/metas that elemental weapon summoning has?", not in the context of it needed to be downtweaked or reduced from how it currently functions. In other words, if moonblade gets improved, it would focus more on neat utility things than the (understandably cool) elemental damage/density adjustments/etc aspects of the weapon.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 02:30 PM CST
>>I feel when something like this is brought up, it would be valuable to know the context behind why someone said that.

You can spend the time to look. I made a similar post with the reference last year and you responded to it so it shouldn't be very hard for you.

>>I vaguely remember the "it's meant more to be a wizard staff than a dedicated weapon" in the context of "why doesn't moonblade have all the fancy widgets/metas that elemental weapon summoning has?", not in the context of it needed to be downtweaked or reduced from how it currently functions. In other words, if moonblade gets improved, it would focus more on neat utility things than the (understandably cool) elemental damage/density adjustments/etc aspects of the weapon.

What exactly are you trying to say here? And by what means to you speak so authoritatively on such matters?

Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 03:02 PM CST
I went ahead and did the digging.

"It is unlikely moonblades will receive further improvements to their functionality as actual weapons. Moon Mages are weapon tert and if we were to redesign the guild from the ground up today it is unlikely they would have moonblades at all, or they would at least look very different."

"Continued improvement to moonblades as a magic prop is more likely."

-Raesh

Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 04:10 PM CST
>>What exactly are you trying to say here? And by what means to you speak so authoritatively on such matters?

I don't know if I would consider me saying "I think this is what was discussed" as authoritative unless my title would be "professional memory-haver."

>>I went ahead and did the digging.

Well, there you go: any further development would focus more on making it a cool magical device than a stronger physical weapon.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 05:43 PM CST
>>Well, there you go: any further development would focus more on making it a cool magical device than a stronger physical weapon.

Nothing is set in stone. I still think changes could and will be made. Moonblade should be an introduction spell anyway, that any novice can cast as easily as shadows at its base mana. Having the spell to train with would be a huge boon when encumbrance matters. The base duration should be increased as well. Novices should gain access to shaping it, breaking it into slivers and using it as cambrinth rather quickly to facilitate training arcana and targeted magic with TKT. However the the spell nodes should unlock slowly over time with skill gains that allow higher mana casts.

Yavash Moonblade slivers already ignite naphtha. I don't think its a stretch to add a meta that allows Moonblades to have elemental flavored damage types or bake it into the templates. Also allowing Monks to get the first bonus from moon strength as baseline sounds good.

Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 06:12 PM CST
>>Nothing is set in stone.

...but you're the one who said "I recall hearing once that a certain GM would abolish the spell entirely if it were possible. Sad as it is, it does seem the form and function of Moonblade has been under attack." because Armifer, however long ago, said he'd rather develop moonblade to do more of A instead of more of B in response to someone else asking for that kind of functionality.

Re: Moonblade Meta 02/05/2018 09:28 PM CST
>>...but you're the one who said

Yes...and they also said before they wouldn't want it below advanced. Still think they made a mistake on allowing the TKT slivers to be such a huge part of the introduction TM but made the spell cumbersome in terms of ranks and slots required. By making the spell introduction and matching the elemental damage the slivers provide it solves multiple issues. Who needs cambrinth to train with, doesn't have the stats or storage for storing multiple weapons and need ammo for their TKT? Novice moon mages. The spell should scale with nodes being the treat for advanced users while providing new moon mages with tools they need to progress with training.

It would be cool if they could even be shaped to be Divination tools. I'm really in love with the idea of making the spell better and thought of as a tool a novice can use because it would really make their quality of life a lot better. Especially without shadow servants to hold their weapons. I think with all the work invested into it with the new magic system and ties to forging it seems like it ought to be made better for the obvious reasons I pointed out already.

>>said he'd rather develop moonblade to do more of A instead of more of B in response to someone else asking for that kind of functionality.

I made the reference as a point that it is sad to see the ideology go this route when its tied into forging and could make awesome weapons for new mages who aren't rocking forged steel. So...obviously I would suggest altering it. You keep referring to A instead of realizing that the answer was really V for Valetudinarian obviously.